anyone ever get ripped off on Ebay?

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
i just bought something on Ebay...the only payment option listed was paypal...but before i bought it the guy says he doesn't like paypal, he'd rather i send a money order...at first i was glad, i figured that would be easier

then i read the buyer protection, it said i'd only be insured if i use the payment option listed, and not to complete the transaction "outside of Ebay", which seems to be what this guy wants to do

why would he pick paypal as the only payment option if he doesn't want to use it?

so i said i'm not sending a money order, its paypal or nothing, this seems shady...
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Think you've made a good decision. Also use your credit card to pay on paypal, little bit more protection.
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    You get some kind of incentive for when you only use Paypal or something like that. Don't remember what off hand.

When I think of completing the transaction "outside of ebay", I think that means that its wrong to end the bidding and then make a side deal- then ebay does not collect its fee.

And it true, your protection is only guaranteed with the payment option he selected.
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    i've gotten ripped off from similar places a few times and used paypal every time, paypal always got at least most of my $ back.

why doesn't he want to use paypal? the only thing i can think of is he doesn't have that account or want money to go into it, it seems far more convenient than waiting for a money order to come in the mail.
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Yeah, I would use pay pal only, OR if he ships first..... which he wont', then you could send a MO.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    i've gotten ripped off from similar places a few times and used paypal every time, paypal always got at least most of my $ back.

why doesn't he want to use paypal? the only thing i can think of is he doesn't have that account or want money to go into it, it seems far more convenient than waiting for a money order to come in the mail.

he says last time he used paypal the money got frozen for 4 months and he ended up losing it...huh??

the reason i thought it was shady at first was cuz he said to mail it to "Joe M"...that wasn't the real name, but it was just an initial instead of a last name....how can i make out a money order to "Joe M"?

i feel like a clown forking over a good deal of money to someone who won''t tell me his last name....what if i'd got ripped off, all i can say is, "uh, his name is Joe M"
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    i dont think as buyers anyone really thinks of the FEE's that eBay and paypal have . your nice sale just about gets cut in half and u think they were trying to rip u off . lol :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

eBays ripping the sellers off . and sense eBay owns paypal .
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    StuffnJunk wrote:

he says last time he used paypal the money got frozen for 4 months and he ended up losing it...huh??

the reason i thought it was shady at first was cuz he said to mail it to "Joe M"...that wasn't the real name, but it was just an initial instead of a last name....how can i make out a money order to "Joe M"?

i feel like a clown forking over a good deal of money to someone who won''t tell me his last name....what if i'd got ripped off, all i can say is, "uh, his name is Joe M"
    if you are really worried, then email him and tell him you will go thru paypal. If he balks,then tell him the deal is off and then go thru ebay's resolution center.
    jokertt wrote:
    i dont think as buyers anyone really thinks of the FEE's that eBay and paypal have . your nice sale just about gets cut in half and u think they were trying to rip u off . lol :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

eBays ripping the sellers off . and sense eBay owns paypal .
    well i feel safer going through a big coprporation that has buyer protection than just blindly mailing a check to someone who won't even tell me his name in the hopes he will mail me what he has promised to
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    you are KIDDING ME.

Never use money orders! its equal to cash. there's a reason craigslist has a warning about them

Ive been scammed on ebay a bunch of times. and on this board a bunch of times.

Use a CREDIT CARD thru Paypal. If u get scammed your CREDIT CARD will protect you.

Paypal often does not work recovering money, so if you just use paypal its almost as risky. I know this from much experience.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    I bought GTA San Andreas through a guy would had decent feedback back in 2005. He keep BSing me on the delay. Finally I had to go file a complaint with paypal, only to find out I was past the 45 day mark and couldn't.

Shocker... no further replies from the seller... er, thief.... kind of funny though it was that video game....
    wishlistfoundation.org
    I bought GTA San Andreas through a guy would had decent feedback back in 2005. He keep BSing me on the delay. Finally I had to go file a complaint with paypal, only to find out I was past the 45 day mark and couldn't.

Shocker... no further replies from the seller... er, thief.... kind of funny though it was that video game....
    EXACTLY. but if you used your credit card thru paypal you would have gotten a refund.

likewise LukinReprise on this board ripped me off and my CC just gave me a refun last week.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    i bought more than 300 items in ebay 3 didnt come..1 the seller refund him self,the other 2 i report to paypal and refund both times the money to my credit card
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    i cancelled the transaction...better safe than sorry!!
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    CJMST3K wrote:

EXACTLY. but if you used your credit card thru paypal you would have gotten a refund.

likewise LukinReprise on this board ripped me off and my CC just gave me a refun last week.

It was paypal credit....
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    vduboise wrote:
    You get some kind of incentive for when you only use Paypal or something like that. Don't remember what off hand.
    There's no incentive for sellers. Ebay decided a couple of years ago that they would only allow sellers to use PayPal or accept credit cards directly. I sell stuff on ebay (not PJ related, either my stuff or stuff I get at estate sales) and you have to pay fees for both PayPal and using ebay. But it has its advantages. I also buy a lot of stuff on ebay and I think PayPal is useful for the buyer. Only once have I had a problem where I needed to get reimbursed and it was pretty easy. So it's a fairly good trade off.

But NO WAY would I buy from somebody who wanted to paid by money order.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    CJMST3K wrote:

It was paypal credit....

then call the credit card people. if its a "real" credit card thry will look into it then issue a refund.

...but if they go by paypal-rules only, your money is gone.

I use visa and amex and both have protected me when paypal wouldnt.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    i bought an xbox 1 month ago and sent payment the minute the auction was won.. still nothing so i have opened a case.
  • riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    I've never gotten ripped off as a buyer, but as a seller, I was ripped off several times until I learned to protect myself. Creative little punks out there, too. Buying with stolen credit cards and paying "extra" for overnight shipping... telling me that the item arrived destroyed & getting their money back from Paypal so that I'd have to file a claim with UPS or the P.O.
    Don't buy from a seller with less than a 98% positive feedback rating, and if it seems shady, it probably is. I've bought from plenty of sellers who only wanted money orders & never gone wrong there, but if there are other people complaining about not getting what they paid for, or waiting months for their item, move on.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
    IDon't buy from a seller with less than a 98% positive feedback rating, and if it seems shady, it probably is. I've bought from plenty of sellers who only wanted money orders & never gone wrong there, but if there are other people complaining about not getting what they paid for, or waiting months for their item, move on.
    Great advice. I've passed up on auctions just because of the seller's feedback. One of the things about feedback that really sucks though is that buyers can leave negative feedback for sellers but sellers can no longer leave negatives for buyers.

99% of the time ebay works great. You can get all kinds of stuff at decent prices or hard to find things without ever leaving your house. You can also unload your own stuff without having a garage sale and usually get better prices. But there are some people out there that make a game out of cheating other people.
    IDon't buy from a seller with less than a 98% positive feedback rating, and if it seems shady, it probably is. I've bought from plenty of sellers who only wanted money orders & never gone wrong there, but if there are other people complaining about not getting what they paid for, or waiting months for their item, move on.
    Great advice. I've passed up on auctions just because of the seller's feedback. One of the things about feedback that really sucks though is that buyers can leave negative feedback for sellers but sellers can no longer leave negatives for buyers.

99% of the time ebay works great. You can get all kinds of stuff at decent prices or hard to find things without ever leaving your house. You can also unload your own stuff without having a garage sale and usually get better prices. But there are some people out there that make a game out of cheating other people.

I've bought numerous times from people with 99% to 100% positive feedback, and still got screwed by them. People can sell 20 canopeners successfully to build a 100% positive feedback, then try to screw just 1 person out of a lot of money. It's happened to me.

Paypal FAILS left and right in getting you a refund. ALWAYS use a credit card (not paypal credit card) to pay thru paypal. Paypal has refused to let me dispute because it's over 45 days, or has agreed with my case, but since the user is no longer a paypal user right after the scam, they have no bank account to take the funds from.

However, when Paypal fails, that's when I call my Credit Card company.

100% of the time I've gotten the money refunded from them. They are pitbulls on your side!

Again, they have a 100% refund record with my disputes.
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I've bought numerous times from people with 99% to 100% positive feedback, and still got screwed by them. People can sell 20 canopeners successfully to build a 100% positive feedback, then try to screw just 1 person out of a lot of money. It's happened to me.

Paypal FAILS left and right in getting you a refund. ALWAYS use a credit card (not paypal credit card) to pay thru paypal. Paypal has refused to let me dispute because it's over 45 days, or has agreed with my case, but since the user is no longer a paypal user right after the scam, they have no bank account to take the funds from.

However, when Paypal fails, that's when I call my Credit Card company.

100% of the time I've gotten the money refunded from them. They are pitbulls on your side!

Again, they have a 100% refund record with my disputes.
    All excellent points. When you get down to it, you take something of a chance when using ebay. But I still find that most of the time it works pretty well if you take the right precautions.

BTW dude, your avatar makes me feel like I'm hallucinating! :crazy:
  • whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    I just bought the smashing pumpkins machina II Q101 cd from ebay. I really hope it is the real thing. I paid $200.00 USD for it. :D
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    whgarrett wrote:
    I just bought the smashing pumpkins machina II Q101 cd from ebay. I really hope it is the real thing. I paid $200.00 USD for it. :D

I'll sell you mine for $150... please send your payment via Western Union.