New NFL OT rules

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

basically, if the team that win the coin flip scores a fg, the other team get a chance to match or win with a TD.

IMO, it should be more like the college rule. instead of starting each possesion on the 25 yard line, you line up like normal and kick it away. each team gets a shot at the ball until a winner is decided. or put it at the 35 yard line and have at it.

as written, the new rule is pretty stupid. imo of course
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    I agree with you 81. Why don't they just say each team gets the ball at least once and go from there???
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    CServant wrote:
    I agree with you 81. Why don't they just say each team gets the ball at least once and go from there???

Well these men are Pros and it should be different from college players, I like the new OT rules. it would have been an embrassment to have a Super Bowl and OT and one team wins the flip scores and game over. BTW what happens if the first team scores a TD, does the opposing team has to score a TD also? i'd look it up but I've got to run.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    I don't see what was wrong with the coin flip. Football is a game of chance. Probably the worst part of this whole change is that every time a game goes into overtime I'm going to have to listen to some high school drop out announcers bicker over, "Should they kick the field goal or go for the win?!?!?!?!? Under the old rules you wouldn't have to worry about this! Then when the coach loses the game I'll have to listen to ESPN say for the rest of the week, "This new overtime rule is fantastic! It makes the coaches have to think more! This week the coach picked the wrong choice though!

Want to know the reason football is so much better than soccer? There's always a winner. A game ends in a tie once every blue moon. This is about to change, and football is about to become just another boring sport.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    I think they need a version of the college system.

If you win the flip in the NFL, you instantly have a 60% chance of winning. Pretty sad to have a season determined by a coin flip.

The college system is at least fair. Both teams get a shot, have the same opportunity...
    If they didn't want to DO the college system, at least give each offense and defense a shot.
    Like 81 said, I think if they didn't want to put the ball on the 35, at least give both teams a chance to start from a kickoff.
    Big Drop wrote:
    IWant to know the reason football is so much better than soccer? There's always a winner. A game ends in a tie once every blue moon. This is about to change, and football is about to become just another boring sport.

As far as soccer goes the rest of the world may disagree with you though.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    I think they got it right. It's a good idea
  • and this is why I love baseball.

not controlled by the clock.

teams need to get every last out or even strike for that matter.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    and this is why I love baseball.

not controlled by the clock.

teams need to get every last out or even strike for that matter.

Football is little bit more physical then Baseball

They can't play forever like some baseball games going 19 innings
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • g under p wrote:
    CServant wrote:

Well these men are Pros and it should be different from college players, I like the new OT rules. it would have been an embrassment to have a Super Bowl and OT and one team wins the flip scores and game over. BTW what happens if the first team scores a TD, does the opposing team has to score a TD also? i'd look it up but I've got to run.

Peace

If the team that wins the toss scores a TD, game over. It only keeps teams from playing for the easy field goal victory.

It seems stupid but we may have had a different champion this year had that rule been in place. It will make a difference.

But still, each team should be guaranteed to touch the ball once. If things are tied after that, then go true sudden death.
  • StarfallStarfall Posts: 548
    What a crock. This is nothing more than a ploy to extend football games and extract more TV revenue money.
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"
    g under p wrote:
    CServant wrote:

Peace

If the team that wins the toss scores a TD, game over. It only keeps teams from playing for the easy field goal victory.

It seems stupid but we may have had a different champion this year had that rule been in place. It will make a difference.

But still, each team should be guaranteed to touch the ball once. If things are tied after that, then go true sudden death.

So you could still have the same situation as before...when you kickoff to start OT and the receiving team scores a TD on that play game over right. Then I don't like the rule, slight improvement, plus it's not being implemented during the regular makes no sense to me.

Peace

• blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    The college OT is probably the stupidest thing I've ever seen someone come up with in sports rules... How can you play 60 minutes and then entirely change how the sport is played in overtime?

This NFL rule just seems half-assed to me... If the objective is to take away the advantage of winning the coin toss, why not just make it so that if the team who gets the first possession scores, they have to kick it off? Regardless of a field goal or a touchdown, both teams get the ball. And being only a playoff rule (for now), makes no sense either...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Starfall wrote:
    What a crock. This is nothing more than a ploy to extend football games and extract more TV revenue money.

How do you figure? Of what 512 games last season 15 went to overtime, 12 decided by field goals, hardly a significant number. Now you must earn the win by getting the TD.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    The college OT is probably the stupidest thing I've ever seen someone come up with in sports rules... How can you play 60 minutes and then entirely change how the sport is played in overtime?

This NFL rule just seems half-assed to me... If the objective is to take away the advantage of winning the coin toss, why not just make it so that if the team who gets the first possession scores, they have to kick it off? Regardless of a field goal or a touchdown, both teams get the ball. And being only a playoff rule (for now), makes no sense either...

I agree with you about college football, but how about the NHL? You play 60 minutes, then 5 minute OT, then suddenly it's a shootout, after all hockey is a team game.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

I agree with you about college football, but how about the NHL? You play 60 minutes, then 5 minute OT, then suddenly it's a shootout, after all hockey is a team game.

• mca47 wrote:
    I think they need a version of the college system.

If you win the flip in the NFL, you instantly have a 60% chance of winning. Pretty sad to have a season determined by a coin flip.

The college system is at least fair. Both teams get a shot, have the same opportunity...
    If they didn't want to DO the college system, at least give each offense and defense a shot.
    Like 81 said, I think if they didn't want to put the ball on the 35, at least give both teams a chance to start from a kickoff.

i love college overtime. i was at the syracuse/v. tech game in '05 that went 3OT's. it was pretty exciting.
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 9/3/00, 12/31/00, 3/2/01, 4/29/01, 6/21/01, 7/25/01, 8/31/01, 9/1/01, 9/2/01, 4/18/02, 8/30/02, 8/31/02, 8/31/02, 9/1/02, 9/22/02, 3/22/03, 5/6/03, 6/29/03, 8/29/03, 8/30/03, 8/30/03, 8/31/03, 2/21/04, 4/2/04, 4/3/04, 9/3/04, 9/4/04, 9/4/04, 9/5/04, 2/19/05, 7/22/05, 9/2/05, 9/3/05, 9/3/05, 9/4/05, 1/22/06, 6/7/06, 9/1/06, 9/2/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 7/6/07, 8/31/07, 9/1/07, 9/1/07, 9/2/07, 3/7/08, 8/29/08, 8/30/08, 8/30/08, 8/31/08, 7/11/09, 6/4/10, 6/11/11
  • StarfallStarfall Posts: 548
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Starfall wrote:

How do you figure? Of what 512 games last season 15 went to overtime, 12 decided by field goals, hardly a significant number. Now you must earn the win by getting the TD.

EVERYTHING is about TV revenue is professional sports nowadays. :lol:
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"
    Starfall wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Starfall wrote:

EVERYTHING is about TV revenue is professional sports nowadays. :lol:

These 15 games are not going to extract extra revenue from TV. If this was purely TV revenue then the NFL would have done this years ago, they are the one league that knows how to make money off TV.

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283

College OT is the most fair of any of them (except for baseball).
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

perhaps they could play an entire quarter
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    mca47 wrote:

basketball is pretty fair
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    perhaps the should start OT rugby style.

or maybe like dodge ball with the ball at the 50 yard line, and the players on the goal line. run out to get the ball.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I think the new rules are ridiculous simply because the most obvious solution was ignored.
    What sense does it make for there to be a difference between kicking a field goal and scoring a touchdown?
    Would it be so difficult to say that both teams get at least one possession apiece and if there is still a tie then the first score after that wins?
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    lukin2006 wrote:

I agree about hockey, I don't like the gimmicky way to decide a winner... but compared to college football, it's not as big of an impact on the season. In the NHL, without looking at stats, most teams probably have like 10 shootouts a season. That is worth a total of 10 points (both teams automatically get the one point), so while it does impact the standings, not as much as college football, where one loss can make or break your season.

Five minutes of 4-on-4 doesn't really bother me... but on a sidenote the Olympic gold medal, full periods of 4-on-4 is stupid.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    mca47 wrote:

I just hate college football OT... you totally take out the return game, and you alter the play calling with only working with 25 yards of the field. It is fair because each team gets the same opportunities, but it still changes how the first 60 minutes of the game are played.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Both teams should get a shot to score no matter what. Maybe make it so there are no extra points allowed, only 2 point conversions.

No matter what I'd rather watch college football.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    mca47 wrote:

I just hate college football OT... you totally take out the return game, and you alter the play calling with only working with 25 yards of the field. It is fair because each team gets the same opportunities, but it still changes how the first 60 minutes of the game are played.

I can't argue the fact that college OT alters the game. But I also feel that if you can't beat your opponent in 60 minutes, than an alteration where both teams get the same opportunities seems pretty reasonable.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    Both teams should get a shot to score no matter what. Maybe make it so there are no extra points allowed, only 2 point conversions.

No matter what I'd rather watch college football.

Yup.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • Red BurritoRed Burrito Posts: 476
    Since NHL has been brought up, which is based on a points system not a win/loss system. I think one thing that seperates the NHL in 'fairness' is that when a game goes to overtime, both teams are instantly guaranteed at least one point. So basically both teams are considered partial winners as soon as the game ends in a tie. The winner of overtime receives the other point. Just making it to overtime can have huge effects on the standings especially late in the season. A team that loses in regular gameplay gets zero points and a team thats loses in OT gets one point.
    the sorrow grows bigger, when the sorrow's denied
    Since NHL has been brought up, which is based on a points system not a win/loss system. I think one thing that seperates the NHL in 'fairness' is that when a game goes to overtime, both teams are instantly guaranteed at least one point. So basically both teams are considered partial winners as soon as the game ends in a tie. The winner of overtime receives the other point. Just making it to overtime can have huge effects on the standings especially late in the season. A team that loses in regular gameplay gets zero points and a team thats loses in OT gets one point.

I go back and forth on the NHL overtime rules... I like watching shootouts, but hate that a winner of a team game is decided by a breakaway drill. I don't like the idea of a losing team getting a point in a game, but I understand them trying to rid of ties. Ties in general didn't bother me, but there is something unfulfilling about paying plopping down $75 to go to a game and leaving without seeing someone win.

While not perfect, I guess I am ok with the rules. I'd like to see maybe the AHL go to a 3 point system (3 for outright win, 2 for OT/SO win, 1 for OT/SO loss) for a season just to see how things work out. That is a lot of extra points in the standings to be handed out, so I'd like to see what kind of impact it would have on things before implemented in the NHL.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln