Fish Oil (Omega-3)

Comments

• About 3 weeks ago, I added vitamin D3 and flax oil to my daily routine. I am all about going the healthy route when it comes to mood and other health issues- I hate even being on the pill, makes me feel weird. It is obviously way too early to see any significant changes... Definately helping in the anxiety dept. but still too stressed to really show an incredible impact. I think everyone should use it!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I have been taking omega 3 twice daily for a month or so.
    I think it has alleviated some anxiety, also on the vitamin D3.
    The only thing is the omega 3 capsules are huge, they stay stuck in your throat for a while lol
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    The only thing is the omega 3 capsules are huge, they stay stuck in your throat for a while lol
    I haven't had any change in anxiety yet. I'm reading generally that there's some relief after 4 to 6 weeks, with best results in the 3 to 6 month range.
    I haven't had any change in anxiety yet. I'm reading generally that there's some relief after 4 to 6 weeks, with best results in the 3 to 6 month range.

I still get it but I don't think as severe.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

I still get it but I don't think as severe.
    I experience OCD like symptoms.. not bad enough to keep me from doing work, getting dressed, but mild guess I would say. Double checking things, over-thinking things, complusive routines.. just look at some of my threads here. ;)

I've always been allergic to seafood and apparently people, especially northern Europeans (which I am) evolved to be heavily dependant on seafood.. apparently the brain needs the fatty acids DHA and EPA and they can only be obtained from seafood and sea algae. If the brain does not get these chemicals, it subs them with something less effective.. looking at all the symptoms of lacking these acids, I've had everyone through out my life such as eczema, dry skin, dry hair, allergies, acne, troubles paying attention, OCD like symptoms..

I'm hoping this is a miracle cure. It's already made big improvements on my skin and allergies, but it takes atleast 3 months for the brain to restructure and make good use of the omegas.
  • The bottle of flax oil softgels that I got several months ago will run out in 2 days.

Look, kids!

sss232-1.jpg

Here it is, less than a month later. I've had flax oil for the past 4 days!!!! Whoop! Trader Joe's sells a whopping pound of the stuff for just $7.99. MUCH cheaper than little softgels. It even contains rosemary, an insanely healthy herb. I've been taking half a teaspoon, which gives me over one full gram of essential fatty acids.
    I decided not to eat the ground flax seeds because I remembered that when I tried them years ago, they were a bit rough on the digestion. (Ms. Haiku- The seeds grind up perfectly in a coffee grinder.)

As for the poverty thing, I have decided to move to a lower-rent flat. There's nothing else for it. I've been making compromises and going without. It's going to break my heart a bit to give up this view. But it will be good for me.

Home-1.jpg
    mice26.jpg
    mice27.jpg
    rrr200.jpg
    "May you live in interesting times."
    The bottle of flax oil softgels that I got several months ago will run out in 2 days.

Look, kids!

sss232-1.jpg

Here it is, less than a month later. I've had flax oil for the past 4 days!!!! Whoop! Trader Joe's sells a whopping pound of the stuff for just $7.99. MUCH cheaper than little softgels. It even contains rosemary, an insanely healthy herb. I've been taking half a teaspoon, which gives me over one full gram of essential fatty acids.
    I decided not to eat the ground flax seeds because I remembered that when I tried them years ago, they were a bit rough on the digestion. (Ms. Haiku- The seeds grind up perfectly in a coffee grinder.)

As for the poverty thing, I have decided to move to a lower-rent flat. There's nothing else for it. I've been making compromises and going without. It's going to break my heart a bit to give up this view. But it will be good for me.

Dude, the Flax stuff isn't very efficient. Humans can't convert more than 25% of it to the fatty acids you need. If you are a man, its more in the 5 to 15% range and some people can't convert any of it.

Go with the fish oil! You'll get a lot more bang for your buck. It's already converted to DHA and EPA so your body doesn't have to struggle doing this.
  • Gob wrote:
    Dude, Go with the fish oil!

"Duuuuuuude!" What, is this 1990? Too funny.

Anyway... No thanks. I only eat plants. (Oh, and my veggie 'sin' of cheese.) I wish you had simply added fish oil to the title of your thread rather than changed it. Many of us have been discussing both fish AND flax. How about just calling it Omega-3 Supplements. That would cover even the Omega-3 rich foods we haven't mentioned.

There are good arguments for both fish and flax. When it comes to essential fatty acids, the more the merrier.
    "May you live in interesting times."
    Gob wrote:
    Dude, Go with the fish oil!

"Duuuuuuude!" What, is this 1990? Too funny.

Anyway... No thanks. I only eat plants. (Oh, and my veggie 'sin' of cheese.) I wish you had simply added fish oil to the title of your thread rather than changed it. Many of us have been discussing both fish AND flax. How about just calling it Omega-3 Supplements. That would cover even the Omega-3 rich foods we haven't mentioned.

There are good arguments for both fish and flax. When it comes to essential fatty acids, the more the merrier.
    Go with algae oil then if you can get your hands on it. Even better than fish oil since its the original source.. just know you're going to have to take A LOT of flaxseed to get similar benefits.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I found the salmon you were talking about that is good for you vs. factory farmed. This article supports what you said about wild atlantic (I found it canned and they sell it in Walmart. How would I prepare it though and eat it w/o gagging?)

http://www.eatingwell.com/food_news_ori ... ces?page=2
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    iluvcats wrote:
    I found the salmon you were talking about that is good for you vs. factory farmed. This article supports what you said about wild atlantic (I found it canned and they sell it in Walmart. How would I prepare it though and eat it w/o gagging?)

http://www.eatingwell.com/food_news_ori ... ces?page=2

Salmon salad, kind of like tuna salad, which can be eaten as a sandwich, on crackers, etc. That's what I do anyway.
    edited May 2010
    Anyone who's taking it, how long did it take to work???
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
    So..

After 7 weeks on this stuff, I've noticed the past week or two I've been sleeping better. Waking up less, falling alseep faster.. I've also noticed my urge to drink alcohol has gone down a bit..

Hopefully it keeps getting better. Allergies are still gone and haven't been this good since I was a kid.
    I've been taking 1500mg Omega 3 capsules twice a day (2x caps each) and 1 x vitamid D 1000.
    I am no longer feeling lethargic all day long, used to always be yawning, even in the mornings.
    My mood is better to.
    Amazing stuff.
    I've been taking 1500mg Omega 3 capsules twice a day (2x caps each) and 1 x vitamid D 1000.
    I am no longer feeling lethargic all day long, used to always be yawning, even in the mornings.
    My mood is better to.
    Amazing stuff.
    I've noticed this too.. Especially after taking Quecertin, but even more after the fish oil.. I never really feel tired anymore, even after a shitty nights sleep.. I haven't been taking Vitamin D besides milk and cereal, but definitely trying to get a few minutes of sun a day... pale white people like myself can get more than enough vitamin D by just a few minutes of sunlight a few times a week.
    Yeah same, even with lack of sleep I am fine.
    I will always be taking these supplements!
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited May 2010
    Why supplements? You can get as much Omega 3 as you need from a proper diet, but I guess it's easier to pop a lil' pill than to think about what you eat! Fresh oily fish (sardines, salmon, trout, crab, shrimp, tuna, etc.), dark leafy vegetables, certain nuts and seeds provide more than enough omega 3. And you don't have to eat it every day either!

Also, no use taking loads of Omega 3 if you diet is full of Omega 6 (you need the right balance). Sunflower/corn/vegetable oil is full if Omega 6 - change to olive oil. Look twice at the margarine you are using (may not be the healthier option to butter as you may think), not to mention processed foods and red meat. You can't look at one or two things without looking at the rest. All interacts together.

One also needs to be very careful with supplements as they interact with various medications (eg blood thinning drugs, anti inflamatory drugs,cholesterol lowering ones, diabetic medication, etc). Supplements may also exacerbate certain problems (eg omega 3 and bleeding disorders... think.. do you bruise easily?). There are well known issues (such as the bleeing one with Omega 3 and the interaction with certain medication) but there are loads that are obscure.

If you do not have allergies or any other indication that your body does not process certain essential nutrients, there is ABSOLUTELY no value to taking supplements as opposed to having a balanced diet. These supplement companies are making LOADS of money out of our ignorance and laziness. We are too lazy to cook and spend a bit of time on our health. On the other hand, we are quite happy to spend money on supplements to 'counteract' our lifestyle.

You don't need to have a special diet to have the nutrients you need - you can still eat everything. Just make smarter choices.
    Post edited by redrock on
    I am not into seafood!
    If you don't like fish or seafood then try getting your omega 3 with flaxseeds (ground to better digest),wheatgerm, nuts (especially brazil and walnut), pumpkin seeds. Use olive oil, eat pulses (kidney beans, etc), dark leaf veggies (brocolli, green beans, etc), strawberries (and some other berries), etc.

Plenty of ways to get what you need. But look at the rest of your diet too!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    now there is plenty of fish oil in the Gulf.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I just took mine, and it is very good for the skin... :thumbup:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    edited May 2010
    redrock wrote:
    Why supplements? You can get as much Omega 3 as you need from a proper diet, but I guess it's easier to pop a lil' pill than to think about what you eat! Fresh oily fish (sardines, salmon, trout, crab, shrimp, tuna, etc.), dark leafy vegetables, certain nuts and seeds provide more than enough omega 3. And you don't have to eat it every day either!

Also, no use taking loads of Omega 3 if you diet is full of Omega 6 (you need the right balance). Sunflower/corn/vegetable oil is full if Omega 6 - change to olive oil. Look twice at the margarine you are using (may not be the healthier option to butter as you may think), not to mention processed foods and red meat. You can't look at one or two things without looking at the rest. All interacts together.

First off.. you need omega 3 to balance off Omega 6.. you need BOTH. Omega 6 is pro-inflammatory, Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory.. The western diet consists of waaay to much omega 6. The omega 3 (anti-inflammatory) helps me with my allergies.

Secondly, its not a vitamin supplimeny. Its pure fat. It's just sucking the good stuff out of fish, NOT a vitamin.

Thirdly, I am deathly allergic to fish, and this is my only way to get omega 3.

Fourthly, you can get it from dark leafy vegatables, BUT the body is very inefficient at converting it to DHA and EPA, the chemicals the body needs. ALA in plants is useless unless your body can convert it.. conversion is only 5 to 15% in men and at most 25% in women, and some people can't convert any of it.
    redrock wrote:
    If you don't like fish or seafood then try getting your omega 3 with flaxseeds (ground to better digest),wheatgerm, nuts (especially brazil and walnut), pumpkin seeds. Use olive oil, eat pulses (kidney beans, etc), dark leaf veggies (brocolli, green beans, etc), strawberries (and some other berries), etc.

Plenty of ways to get what you need. But look at the rest of your diet too!
    Again, body has troubles converting it from plants to the acids you need..

I can't eat seafood because I am deathly allergic to it. Besides that, I eat extremely healthy, but the fish oil has mad a world of difference... and its not a vitamin. Its just the good stuff distilled from the fish, so don't think of it as popping pills. It's not a magic pill, its the essential stuff we need from seafood.

Trust me, I know what you're talking about with the vitamins and better to get balanced diet, but fish oil is not vitamins and neither is the quecertin.

First off.. you need omega 3 to balance off Omega 6.. you need BOTH. Omega 6 is pro-inflammatory, Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory.. The western diet consists of waaay to much omega 6. The omega 3 (anti-inflammatory) helps me with my allergies.

OK.. look again at what I said... " no use taking loads of Omega 3 if you diet is full of Omega 6 (you need the right balance). Point was covered. Balance - the right ratio between the two. Omega 6 is necessary but the balance of Omega 3 to Omega 6 is essential.
    Secondly, its not a vitamin supplimeny. Its pure fat. It's just sucking the good stuff out of fish, NOT a vitamin.

Did I say Omega 3 was a vitamin? Nope. It is a supplement, and that's what this thread is about.

Thirdly, I am deathly allergic to fish, and this is my only way to get omega 3..

I did say: "If you do not have allergies or any other indication that your body does not process certain essential nutrients, there is ABSOLUTELY no value to taking supplements as opposed to having a balanced diet."
    Fourthly, you can get it from dark leafy vegatables, BUT the body is very inefficient at converting it to DHA and EPA, the chemicals the body needs. ALA in plants is useless unless your body can convert it.. conversion is only 5 to 25% in people, some people can't convert any.

Again, as I mentioned, there are numerous ways of getting your omega 3 through diet which is not oily fish based, dark leafy vegetables is one of them. All the others I have stated are not an exhaustive list. The dark green vegetables combined with other omega 3 rich foods work. Though it does takes time and effort to get a good balance.
    Trust me, I know what you're talking about with the vitamins and better to get balanced diet, but fish oil is not vitamins and neither is the quecertin.
    Not sure what you mean here. It's a lot easier to get your fatty acids right with a balanced diet than it is to get the vitamins. Though I did not mention Quecertin as such are you talking naturally in the diet or pills?

Again, I will repeat myself... if one does not have allergies or any other health issues a proper diet can give you the nutrients the body needs to flourish. Simple. Of course we look at the foods we like, don't like, what is available, the trouble we want to put ourselves through to plan and cook meals, etc. For most of us, it's a lifestyle choice.
    redrock wrote:

OK.. look again at what I said... " no use taking loads of Omega 3 if you diet is full of Omega 6 (you need the right balance). Point was covered. Balance - the right ratio between the two. Omega 6 is necessary but the balance of Omega 3 to Omega 6 is essential.

Did I say Omega 3 was a vitamin? Nope. It is a supplement, and that's what this thread is about.

Thirdly, I am deathly allergic to fish, and this is my only way to get omega 3..

I did say: "If you do not have allergies or any other indication that your body does not process certain essential nutrients, there is ABSOLUTELY no value to taking supplements as opposed to having a balanced diet."
    Fourthly, you can get it from dark leafy vegatables, BUT the body is very inefficient at converting it to DHA and EPA, the chemicals the body needs. ALA in plants is useless unless your body can convert it.. conversion is only 5 to 25% in people, some people can't convert any.

Again, as I mentioned, there are numerous ways of getting your omega 3 through diet which is not oily fish based, dark leafy vegetables is one of them. All the others I have stated are not an exhaustive list. The dark green vegetables combined with other omega 3 rich foods work. Though it does takes time and effort to get a good balance.
    Not sure what you mean here. It's a lot easier to get your fatty acids right with a balanced diet than it is to get the vitamins. Though I did not mention Quecertin as such are you talking naturally in the diet or pills?

Again, I will repeat myself... if one does not have allergies or any other health issues a proper diet can give you the nutrients the body needs to flourish. Simple. Of course we look at the foods we like, don't like, what is available, the trouble we want to put ourselves through to plan and cook meals, etc. For most of us, it's a lifestyle choice.

Alright, alright.. all points aside, if you are allergic to fish, or don't have the means to eat lots of it, fish oil is the best way to get EPA and DHA.
    redrock wrote:

Alright, alright.. all points aside, if you are allergic to fish, or don't have the means to eat lots of it, fish oil is the best way to get EPA and DHA.

But not the only. That is the way you chose to get your fatty acids, that's fine. There are many other options.
    redrock wrote:

But not the only. That is the way you chose to get your fatty acids, that's fine. There are many other options.
    As far as EPA and DHA.. they are only found in seafood and sea algae.. The body converting it from the ALA in plants doesn't always work, and if it does, you have a eat a hell of a lot of them, probably more calories than you should be consuming.
    redrock wrote:

As far as EPA and DHA.. they are only found in seafood and sea algae.. The body converting it from the ALA in plants doesn't always work, and if it does, you have a eat a hell of a lot of them, probably more calories than you should be consuming.

**sighs**. I'll let you have the last word. I've said what I have to say.
    edited May 2010
    redrock wrote:
    redrock wrote:

**sighs**. I'll let you have the last word. I've said what I have to say.
    I don't mean to argue with you.. If I change the thread title to "seafood", would it make things better? My point of this thread is not suppliments, but getting these nutrients and there effect on you. Fish oil is essentially fish fat. Not really supplementing for anything.
    Fish oil is essentially fish fat. Not really a suppliment.

Not quite last word... Fish oil IS a supplement. You are not getting it by eating fish. It is processed, can contain additives (most will, even it they are natural additives to act as preservatives and even if it is classified as 'pure' fish oil) and, depending on the fish used for these oils, can contain contaminants. Basically, it's not wringing the fish to get oil out of it (since you made the analogy of squeezing the juice of an orange), it goes through a whole manufacturing process and you can't get the oil without this process. Therefore a supplement.

Final word now. Promise. I won't continue.