Why so many drummers?

evenflowwmaevenflowwma Posts: 75
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Does anyone know why they have changed drummers so much? quick story, when they first started getting popular i was working with a guy who was telling me about his buddy who was a drummer in a new band. We chatted awhile about it and finally i asked him what band his buddy played in and he looked at me and said, have you heard of pearl jam? I said of course and he laughed and told me all about it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    I believe this is how it went, forgive me if I may have a few details off:

Dave Krusen checked into rehab, Matt Chamberlain left to join the SNL band, Dave Abbruzzese had creative differences with the band as did Jack Irons, and now Matt Cameron has been rocking with the band for four albums now.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Big Drop wrote:

Dave Krusen checked into rehab, Matt Chamberlain left to join the SNL band, Dave Abbruzzese had creative differences with the band as did Jack Irons, and now Matt Cameron has been rocking with the band for four albums now.

I think Jack Irons left due to health problems, not creative differences. He's had bipolar disorder as well as carpal tunnel syndrome. He had to leave right before the 98 tour.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Big Drop wrote:

I think this was it:

Jack Irons was asked to join the band before Eddie. He was given a tape from Stone, Jeff and Mike which had Matt Cameron filling in temporarily on drums. Jack declined, but passed on a tape of the band to his "surfer friend" Eddie.

They recorded with Krusen, but I heard something about rehab, so couldn't tour anymore (or let go).

Matt Chamberlain was quickly asked to play shows, and also was the drummer on the Alive video. He was asked to be a member, but he turned them down. He told the band he knew the perfect guy - Dave Abbruzzese in Texas.

When Dave Abbruzzese asked Matt Chamberlain what it was like to play with these guys, Matt said it was like boxing with Mike Tyson every single night.

Dave Abbruzzese was asked to join the band. The band started playing tiny clubs with him, and slowly became big. Then they exploded in popularity, particularly from their amazing live shows which were highly bootleged. Dave toured for about 4 years and recorded two albums.

One or more members of PJ had a difference with Dave. Stone was told to fire him, so Stone met Dave for breakfast and told Dave they were going to look for another drummer. Dave said he thought they were meeting to discuss the album release or something. Dave was never told why he was fired. I don't think Stone was the one who wanted him fired. I think Ed had something against Dave... so, I think the band had an ultimatum.

Jack Irons, who had originally turned them down, was hired to play. It was a 180 degree different approach to drums, but I think the band wanted a calmer direction too. He was the drummer for the Vitalogy tour (though he wasn't really the drummer on Vitalogy) and he also recorded No Code and Yield. He did not tour for Yield though. He had some health issues, and couldn't play as long as the band needed, so the band asked Matt Cameron to replace him.

And that's about where we are at.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    We chatted awhile about it and finally i asked him what band his buddy played in and he looked at me and said, have you heard of pearl jam? I said of course and he laughed and told me all about it.

Which is your friend's buddy?

I'm guessing either Krusen or Abbruzzese.
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I think this was it:

Jack Irons was asked to join the band before Eddie. He was given a tape from Stone, Jeff and Mike which had Matt Cameron filling in temporarily on drums. Jack declined, but passed on a tape of the band to his "surfer friend" Eddie.

They recorded with Krusen, but I heard something about rehab, so couldn't tour anymore (or let go).

Matt Chamberlain was quickly asked to play shows, and also was the drummer on the Alive video. He was asked to be a member, but he turned them down. He told the band he knew the perfect guy - Dave Abbruzzese in Texas.

When Dave Abbruzzese asked Matt Chamberlain what it was like to play with these guys, Matt said it was like boxing with Mike Tyson every single night.

Dave Abbruzzese was asked to join the band. The band started playing tiny clubs with him, and slowly became big. Then they exploded in popularity, particularly from their amazing live shows which were highly bootleged. Dave toured for about 4 years and recorded two albums.

One or more members of PJ had a difference with Dave. Stone was told to fire him, so Stone met Dave for breakfast and told Dave they were going to look for another drummer. Dave said he thought they were meeting to discuss the album release or something. Dave was never told why he was fired. I don't think Stone was the one who wanted him fired. I think Ed had something against Dave... so, I think the band had an ultimatum.

Jack Irons, who had originally turned them down, was hired to play. It was a 180 degree different approach to drums, but I think the band wanted a calmer direction too. He was the drummer for the Vitalogy tour (though he wasn't really the drummer on Vitalogy) and he also recorded No Code and Yield. He did not tour for Yield though. He had some health issues, and couldn't play as long as the band needed, so the band asked Matt Cameron to replace him.

Nothing to add, except: your avatar creeps me out. Has it always done that weird blurring to a clown skull (?) thing? Never noticed it before...
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,926
    They're a Spinal Tap tribute band. Watch out for Stonehenge being crushed by Boom at MSG.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Partially incorrect on Jack not touring for Yield...

My first show was Brisbane 2 '98, with Jack. Jack toured Hawaii, Australia and NZ before being replaced on the US legs by Matt.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
    Partially incorrect on Jack not touring for Yield...

My first show was Brisbane 2 '98, with Jack. Jack toured Hawaii, Australia and NZ before being replaced on the US legs by Matt.

Ah, you got me. Thanks for correcting. :)
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

I think this was it:

I believe that this is the most accurate synopsis.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    dcfaithful wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

I think this was it:

I believe that this is the most accurate synopsis.

The the correction above by LeatherMosquitoMan, that Irons did play some international shows for Yield, but that Cameron replaced him starting during the US tour.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    CJMST3K wrote:

The the correction above by LeatherMosquitoMan, that Irons did play some international shows for Yield, but that Cameron replaced him starting during the US tour.

Yes, with his addition to your run through, I think we've got a very correct outline of what has happened throughout the band's career.

:thumbup: thumbs up for the know-it-all PJ fans! 8-):)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • To be honest, i don't remember which drummer it was. The first name dave rings a bell though. Sorry, it was so long ago now, depresses me just how long ago. Thanks for the info guy's!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

I think this was it:

edit: nevermind this post

i coulda sworn the band asked brad wilk to join pj
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• sabreleafsabreleaf Posts: 310
    Go to Wikipedia and type in Pearl Jam. It is an amazing detailed history of the band.
  • we are now on to DC 2008, so good.
    Hey brother.
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    because drummers are... well... just drummers. i am one, so i can say that.