anyone ever raffle a ticket off? is it legal?

starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
edited March 2010 in The Porch
what do you think? it would make sense that if the raffle entries exceeded the face value of the ticket it would be illegal, but maybe not. feedback....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Raffle for what? Fundraiser? Or you just selling a spare?
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    no - my sister in laws father is in the hospital and his heart is pumping 5%, which puts him higher on the donor list. however, a heart transplant isn't a $100 co-pay and there will be MAJOR out of pocket expenses should he receive a transplant. so, with a baby coming in may for myself and (read above) i feel some things in life are more important than risking missing the baby be born. i bought one ticket to MSG and i've decided i'm not going to use it. that's pretty much it... so i was trying to figure out the best way to get rid of the ticket and then it occurred to me that it could be used to help someone out.
  • tacettacet Posts: 323
    My motto is it ain't illegal unless you get caught.

Best of luck with everything you got going on.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    SS25454 wrote:

well, that's not the point. i don;t want to stir up any shit here but this is, obviously, where i'd like to raffle the MSG1 seat off. if i get some sort of concrete answer from a mod, i'll raffle it here. if not, i suppose there's always ebay. thanks for the post.
  • SS25454 wrote:

well, that's not the point. i don;t want to stir up any shit here but this is, obviously, where i'd like to raffle the MSG1 seat off. if i get some sort of concrete answer from a mod, i'll raffle it here. if not, i suppose there's always ebay. thanks for the post.

Send Kat a message.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    there is no way someone here answer to that 100% correct..contact 10c
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    she just sent me a warning for my stellar "msg 3 on sale now" post. not sure she'd be down with it. :lol:
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    can't blame you for trying. kat will let you know one way or the other sounds like.
    i wish you the best.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    Funny thing about human organs. . . plenty of people leaving this earth everyday that don't need them anymore, yet try and fine one when you do need it. My sympathy to your situation, sincerely. I understand blood type and positive and negative antigens and whatnot, yet still, it shouldn't be the gauntlet that it is to find an organ. I hope everyone here who is healthy and able has the organ donor box marked on their driver's license. Nothing would make me happier to know that when I leave, there's an absolute yardsale on what's left over.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    Big Drop wrote:
    I hope everyone here who is healthy and able has the organ donor box marked on their driver's license. Nothing would make me happier to know that when I leave, there's an absolute yardsale on what's left over.

i agree!
    and it's on my license too.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

bump
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    Is it a 10c or TM tix?

Also, each state has different regulations as far as raffles go, and typically limit them to non profit organizations.
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,674
    yeah, Id just send Kat a message describing the situation and what you would like to do. If they can help you out Im sure they will.
  • punkmattpunkmatt Posts: 122
    I tried to hold a raffle online and was informed by Paypal that it is illegal to do so online in the U.S. I too was trying to raise money for medical expenses as well.

So I then reworded it and I was selling guitar picks and with the purchase of one it entered you into a contest to win the items I wanted to raffle. They shut me down again. Arc suggested that I set up a non-profit org for my cause, you may want to look into that as well.

good luck
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,416
    no - my sister in laws father is in the hospital and his heart is pumping 5%, which puts him higher on the donor list. however, a heart transplant isn't a $100 co-pay and there will be MAJOR out of pocket expenses should he receive a transplant. so, with a baby coming in may for myself and (read above) i feel some things in life are more important than risking missing the baby be born. i bought one ticket to MSG and i've decided i'm not going to use it. that's pretty much it... so i was trying to figure out the best way to get rid of the ticket and then it occurred to me that it could be used to help someone out.

In my experience, if you are gonna do it here, it's probably best to sell it face to fan.

a. Please respect the Ten Club's ticket policy: http://www.pearljam.com/ten-club/tickets Non-TC Tickets: face value only (no brokers). Offering to pay any price for a ticket, linking to brokers or auctions offering above face value is not ok.

If you wanna make a few more bucks then what you paid for, probably best to try ebay or sell it @ those ticket stub sites or a close friend in the area you can pass down by hand. If it was a non profit organization thing, you can raffle off tickets. I've done it many, many times; but you don't get the money that was raised that you gave to raffle off. 100% of the money would go directly to the charity. You don't see a dime.

I hope your sister in laws father get's well. Take care & all the best starmap3333.
  • boxorbagboxorbag Posts: 246
    Check with the 10c. They allowed a member to auction his spare at the 8 23 chicago show. It was for charity though which obviously yours is for. Look into getting the non profit set up and talk with 10c. Also I would talk with someone at wishlist to see if you could work with them to get it done. That is what the guy on 8 23 did. Do the research and let us know how it works out.