volume pedal

reaching handsreaching hands Posts: 370
edited March 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
right, i curently use an old colorsound swell pedal which is basically a volume pedal too.

can dedicated volume pedals (ernie ball etc) be set so when its rocked back its on rhythm setting and when its full on its ready for lead?

my swell pedal is really hard to gauge when it comes to going between rhythm and loud as the distance between loud and basically off is a fraction of movement...its annoying.

cheers guys

leeds 26/08/06....electric
paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    ive got a morley volume pedal which has a dial on it which lets you set the minimum volume level. In other words if you set it just below full on then when the pedal is all the way back its slightly less volume than when it is fully forward. Quite handy for lead boosts although these days i use either a mxr micro amp or usually just a fully levelled up ts9
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • kigcat wrote:
    ive got a morley volume pedal which has a dial on it which lets you set the minimum volume level. In other words if you set it just below full on then when the pedal is all the way back its slightly less volume than when it is fully forward. Quite handy for lead boosts although these days i use either a mxr micro amp or usually just a fully levelled up ts9

where abouts in your chain do you have the ts9?..my maxon od9 on max output doesn't really make a huge difference in volume.

I play my lionheart with the drive channel on all the time then normal boost/thicken up the drive to distortion with the od9. my chain is amp-delay-volume-big muff-maxon od9-phase 45- tuner-guitar. like i said it doesn't make a huge difference in volume

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

i use my ts9 pretty much in the same way srv did. I just play it straight into my amp which is just on the verge of breakup then set the ts9 with the level at full and the gain set just a little bit so that it just gives the amp a jump. doesnt really work like in most other settings which is why when im using my chain i use my mxr micro amp for lead boosts.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • well i've spent an hour pissing around with my chain and realised my volume pedal is somehow affecting the overall volume at the end of the chain so i've moved it to the front.

plus i've used my brain and using ts9 on the clean channel for a nice break up od sound, or dialing in the big muff for more heavy rhythm and then set the drive channel on a higher volume and and mix it with the od9 for solos.

i play in a bloody loud band and our rhythm/singer uses mesa pre and power amps and loves to play loud so i got to cut through him for solos!

i'l probably change my mind on this way of doing things again as its a new amp to me plus i'm still finding my feet using a weber mini mass with it too :)

a trick that some people use that can help quite easily is to use a graphic eq pedal at the end of your chain. Just match it identical between your eq`d sound and your bypassed chain then raise all the frequencies a few notches (ie move the eq "Line" up) this will give you a switchable volume boost. I do pretty much the same thing with my mxr micro amp. It also works rather well if you run just the micro amp on its own in the fx loop of the amp. This is how i did it for a few years in bands. These days im not in bands so much so i dont really bother for just home playing.