Reissues?

Prince Of DorknessPrince Of Dorkness Posts: 3,763
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Since the Ten Reissue last year was such a hit and Backspacer is still selling like crazy and there's seemingly more Pearl Jam fans now than for the last few years..

What do you think the chances are that Sony will decide to cash in on the action and Remaster/Reissue all the catalogue titles they own?

Wouldn't it be great to get vinyl re-issues of all the albums? New packaging... liner notes... fun stuff like that?

You think I'm just dreaming?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Hi i work for Sony, and No, there are no planned reissues. The guy who did reissue Ten was laid off about a month after the reissue of Ten came out, he had been in the business for 18 years, since he's been laid off nobody even brang up the idea of doing the other albums. Hopefully some day the Band it self will look into the idea, but since we all know how much PJ loves to deal with Sony, i wouldn't count on it. sorry dude. :(
  • The albums don't need to be remastered but I wouldn't mind hearing some unreleased stuff. Unfortunately, I think that ship sailed with "Lost Dogs" & "Ten Deluxe".
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    KO282453 wrote:
    Hi i work for Sony, and No, there are no planned reissues. The guy who did reissue Ten was laid off about a month after the reissue of Ten came out, he had been in the business for 18 years, since he's been laid off nobody even brang up the idea of doing the other albums. Hopefully some day the Band it self will look into the idea, but since we all know how much PJ loves to deal with Sony, i wouldn't count on it. sorry dude. :(

Damn that sucks... why would they have said they plan on doing it I wonder, then scrap the whole thing? Maybe it sold poorly?
  • KO282453 wrote:

Meh. I used to be an import buyer for a record chain in Canada and I'll tell you, Sony made a bundle off Pearl Jam titles.

They'd be nuts to not even do simple re-issues considering some of the albums are selling for over $200 for a fresh vinyl copy on Amazon.
  • KO282453 wrote:

You should go brang up the idea bro.

I think the closest we'll get to reissues is me burning each cd with a bside or two...with 2010 written on each to add legitimacy and realism.
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,387
    Since the band owns the masters now, I don't really think that Sony/Epic gets a say in the re-releases.. maybe I'm wrong tho with my limited knowledge of how the record industry works. I would think they could re-release them under the MW label.
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    Since the band owns the masters now, I don't really think that Sony/Epic gets a say in the re-releases.. maybe I'm wrong tho with my limited knowledge of how the record industry works. I would think they could re-release them under the MW label.

This is the first I've heard of this. Is this true? Where did you hear this?

As far as I know, the only recording which the band would own the master tapes to is Backspacer.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
    HeavyHands wrote:
    TrAvELAr wrote:

As far as I know, the only recording which the band would own the master tapes to is Backspacer.

It was in a Kelly Curtis interview around the time of the Backspacer release. I've posted the paragraph containing this info below the link.

http://www.twofeetthick.com/2009/06/add ... interview/

The new album marks the first to be self-released by the band, who were signed to Sony for the past 18 years. (2006’s eponymous avocado album was released by J Records, a Sony subsidiary.) “When we decided we were going to release this record ourselves in America,” Curtis says, “we removed that whole layer of the record company. And by the way, [the record company is] a bigger frickin’ corporation than Target is. They owned our music and owned our masters. Now we own everything, and control everything, and we’re choosing who we want to be partners with. Who will allow us the freedom to pick the kind of people we want to work with? Target was the only one out of all those [big chain] guys that was forward-enough thinking to allow us to think outside the box.” Along with making the record available at small independent retailers, Curtis also hints at a cell-phone partnership, and says some green and charity initiatives are in the works.
    KO282453 wrote:

I think the closest we'll get to reissues is me burning each cd with a bside or two...with 2010 written on each to add legitimacy and realism.

i work in the messenger center, i'm not actually a person to these people.
  • KO282453 wrote:
    KO282453 wrote:

i work in the messenger center, i'm not actually a person to these people.

this is in no way intended as an insult, but how does a person in the messenger centre know this info?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • TrAvELAr wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:
    TrAvELAr wrote:

It was in a Kelly Curtis interview around the time of the Backspacer release. I've posted the paragraph containing this info below the link.

The new album marks the first to be self-released by the band, who were signed to Sony for the past 18 years. (2006’s eponymous avocado album was released by J Records, a Sony subsidiary.) “When we decided we were going to release this record ourselves in America,” Curtis says, “we removed that whole layer of the record company. And by the way, [the record company is] a bigger frickin’ corporation than Target is. They owned our music and owned our masters. Now we own everything, and control everything, and we’re choosing who we want to be partners with. Who will allow us the freedom to pick the kind of people we want to work with? Target was the only one out of all those [big chain] guys that was forward-enough thinking to allow us to think outside the box.” Along with making the record available at small independent retailers, Curtis also hints at a cell-phone partnership, and says some green and charity initiatives are in the works.

I can see how this could have been misinterpreted. When he said "now we own everything", I don't think he was referring to their back catalogue, just the new material. Fighting over master tapes would be a massive undertaking, and not something ANY record company would give up without a massive fight.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    [

I can see how this could have been misinterpreted. When he said "now we own everything", I don't think he was referring to their back catalogue, just the new material. Fighting over master tapes would be a massive undertaking, and not something ANY record company would give up without a massive fight.

I read that to mean "now we own everything we produce", not that they own what Sony owns. But that sentence could go either way, but Sony wouldn't give up that gold without a fight.

Look at Radiohead's reissues on vinyl from Capitol Records. I don't think those were sanctioned by the band.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    When the reissue of the ten album was being done, we were getting alot of different packaging companies giving there proposel and samples being sent to and from, so i asked whats in them and the people who design the final product told me they were producing the Ten Reissue for Pearl Jam, this went on for a few weeks, so after words i looked out for the next album to begin, but they didn't, so i asked. Also the guy in charge of the whole thing was John Ingrassia and like i said he and his department were let go shortly after the release on Ten Reissue. So i think it's a dead deal. Ofcourse this is just my perspective and it may happen in time, but i can tell you, nobody is currently working VS reissue.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    I'lll do the RE-ISSUE...I'll include 'Atlanta 94' as a DVD in the PACKAGE...pmsl :P
    edited March 2010
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I read that to mean "now we own everything we produce", not that they own what Sony owns. But that sentence could go either way, but Sony wouldn't give up that gold without a fight.

Look at Radiohead's reissues on vinyl from Capitol Records. I don't think those were sanctioned by the band.

I agree it can be read both ways. I was just hoping for some optimism and the recent increase in ticket prices had me hoping that the funds were being used to purchase the masters. Also, if you remember, there was some kind of a box set hat was supposed to be released shortly before BS came out and it suddenly disappeared. If the band acquired their masters around this time, they could have easily had the box pulled.

Again, hoping for optimism, but I'm sure we'll never truly know.
    Post edited by Travelar on
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    The way the TEN reissue looks, it looks like an encyclopedia. I'd say their intent is/was to do more, but who knows for sure...
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    I agree it can be read both ways. I was just hoping for some optimism...

I'll third this. The sentence is misleading, but I think it's reasonable to conclude that it applies only to recordings after S/T. Unfortunately. Thanks for finding that article though. :)

BTW if the band was going to go after their masters I'd completely support them by a minor & temporary price increase in the cost of the things they shill. As pointed out, maybe we're already doing that.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard