Kurt Cobain: About a Son (Movie)

aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone seen it? I am watching it for the first time right now...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    real cool movie from an artistic standpoint given the film maker's probable limitations with access to kurt's estate
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    to hear kurt talking was bittersweet. and a little eerie.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I've never even heard of it......how is it?

And hi aNiMaL!! :wave:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
    ZiggyStar wrote:

ha! thats cause you live far far away. :P good to see youre still with us zig and havent been blown away. :wave:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    ZiggyStar wrote:

ha! thats cause you live far far away. :P good to see youre still with us zig and havent been blown away. :wave:

HOLY FUCKBALLS!! This is the SECOND time you've been nice to me in the past year or so! :shock: :shock: Are you feeling okay, Cate?! ;) See, I knew you secretly loved me! 8-) * blows cate a kiss* :lol:

Yeah the cyclone missed us thank goodness. As far as cyclones go, it was a good one. Not too much structural damage in the hit area....a lot of crops gone though. We had a bit of wind and yesterday and today we've been getting hammered with really heavy rain....but that's all luckily.

:wave:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
    twice?? are you sure? that doesnt sound like me. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758

i didn't think you were even nice twice in a single year! :shock:
    :P
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Wow, that was really good. He really was quite the troubled soul. Very fascinating look into Kurt's life and mind.

Hey Ziggy! :)

yes thats right... you didnt think. 8-)

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027

You've always been nice to me. :D

as for the movie, I have been tempted to buy this so many times..... don't know why I keep skipping it. :?
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • that was a stunning movie. the early reviews from sundance said people came out of it with tears in my eyes. what a brilliantly shot movie. Kurt and Azzerads voice over pictures of Seattle and Aberdeen. Beautiful. The only pictures of Kurt were shown in the end. That one with him and Frances made me sad.

The soundtrack was absolutely brilliant. The opening song, Overture, is one of the most evocative and beautiful songs I have ever heard. Its just instrumental music. But it says everything about everything. About Kurt. us. Our generation.

Such a sad sad movie. This forum is notorious for having people who dislike Kurt and Nirvana, but for me the hype is deserved. This guy was the real deal. His death was such a big deal. I have said it a million times, but I was 10 when he died. But I remember the feeling of it, like it was yesterday. This empty aching feeling. We, I, our generation had lost such an important person. The movie is able to show that perfectly. You dont come away, or I didnt come away from the movie, feeling happy. This isnt a happy story. It doesnt make one feel good. But what a wonderful piece of art this movie is.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    aNiMaL wrote:

what are you watching it on, tv or dvd, or what? I've never heard of it.
  • aNiMaL wrote:

its on dvd. its probably the best kurt cobain documentary i have ever seen. well worth the effort, as someone said, if you are a fan, but also for artistic purposes. to just show video of the landscape, and non kurt individuals, was very cool actually
    aNiMaL wrote:

I DVR'd it off of the Independent Film Channel (IFC). Watch for it on there if you get that channel.
    that was a stunning movie. the early reviews from sundance said people came out of it with tears in my eyes. what a brilliantly shot movie. Kurt and Azzerads voice over pictures of Seattle and Aberdeen. Beautiful. The only pictures of Kurt were shown in the end. That one with him and Frances made me sad.

The soundtrack was absolutely brilliant. The opening song, Overture, is one of the most evocative and beautiful songs I have ever heard. Its just instrumental music. But it says everything about everything. About Kurt. us. Our generation.

Such a sad sad movie. This forum is notorious for having people who dislike Kurt and Nirvana, but for me the hype is deserved. This guy was the real deal. His death was such a big deal. I have said it a million times, but I was 10 when he died. But I remember the feeling of it, like it was yesterday. This empty aching feeling. We, I, our generation had lost such an important person. The movie is able to show that perfectly. You dont come away, or I didnt come away from the movie, feeling happy. This isnt a happy story. It doesnt make one feel good. But what a wonderful piece of art this movie is.
    Yeah, it was a very moving piece. Well worth watching it.

A couple things I took away from it was that even if Kurt hadn't killed himself, the band Nirvana was never going to stay together or last much longer than it did. Kurt seemed like he felt like they had done everything they could together.

Another ting was how much he had come to terms with success and fame. He new they wanted a fan base and people to like what they did.

His outspoken early-on hatred of Pearl Jam was not important as it became clear he hated everyone and everything outside of his own bubble. It seemed like he came to terms with that before he died.

I enjoyed hearing him talk about his desire to mix pop with punk.

Anyhow, a great piece everyone should watch.
    the wolf wrote:

You've always been nice to me. :D

as for the movie, I have been tempted to buy this so many times..... don't know why I keep skipping it. :?

thats cause you havent pissed me off yet. ;)8-)

as for the movie... go out and get it. NOW! :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Did you buy the dvd, or is it on cable, and is that the name "About a Son"? I'd love to see it myself.. :)

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Did you buy the dvd, or is it on cable, and is that the name "About a Son"? I'd love to see it myself.. :)
    I caught it on cable TV, on the IFC network. My TV guide listed the name as that, "Kurt Cobain: About a Son." At the end of the movie it had the same title, minus the colon.

Watch for it, or try to find the DVD. It is well worth the watch.
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    aNiMaL wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I caught it on cable TV, on the IFC network. My TV guide listed the name as that, "Kurt Cobain: About a Son." At the end of the movie it had the same title, minus the colon.

Watch for it, or try to find the DVD. It is well worth the watch.
    Thanks for the info. :)

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    that was a stunning movie. the early reviews from sundance said people came out of it with tears in my eyes. what a brilliantly shot movie. Kurt and Azzerads voice over pictures of Seattle and Aberdeen. Beautiful. The only pictures of Kurt were shown in the end. That one with him and Frances made me sad.

I was 24 when Kurt died. It hit me hard in a lot of ways. I had swallowed a bottle of pills the same week that kurt od'd in Rome. He didn't die and neither did I. I was actually in the hospital when he succeeded in his later attempt. My Doctor didn't know who kurt was and I had to explain it to him. By the time the doc saw me the next day he knew all about kurt. Messed up time in my life. I want to see that movie. I've grown so much since then. I remember the Pearl Jam appearance on SNL right after Kurts suicide. Ed had a "k" on his t-shirt over his heart. He held his hand there.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........