Song requests are next - cool/fun/annoying ?

blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Since the ticket feeding frenzy is over I guess what’s next is ‘please play such and such’.

Uuugggg, I have mixed feelings about that.

Do you think it’s dumb to request a song over an Internet chat board?
Ed makes up the playlist right before pearl jam hits the stage right?
What are the odds he looks on here and remembers your request?

Sure it’s cool to say to your buddy standing you’re next to ‘I hope they play ____’ And they play it. But to bump a play this thread a million times? I don’t know.
*~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    I think it's fun especially at this time when everybody is talking about tickets and pre partys, its the only pre tour conversation that intrests me really, I like the pit better when there is absolutly nothing going on and nothing is supposed to go on anytime soon, so we can just talk about and rank songs and stuff like that. I know it probably won't happen (meaning the song requests) but it's a good time passer.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I thought doompony's cartoon request thread was a good idea. Even if they would have played Black anyway, it was creative and entertaining for the rest of us.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    post the link to doompony's cartoon. :)

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    post the link to doompony's cartoon. :)

Here you go-->
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=117150&hilit=Play+Black+in+Auckland
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 973
    Pearl Jam should take after Bruce Springsteen.

Encourage people to bring signs to the shows, then dedicate a portion of the night to sign collecting. Then play a certain number of the sign requests.

e.g. when they write the setlist, Eddie write like

Evenflow
    ???
    ???
    ???

Then, during the long jam of Evenflow, everyone in the front area holds their signs up. Or the people in the back hold them up and Ed calls for them. Ed takes a bunch of signs, brings them back on stage, and goes through them and picks 3 out.

That's what Bruce did every show this past tour.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    FirstExit wrote:

Encourage people to bring signs to the shows, then dedicate a portion of the night to sign collecting. Then play a certain number of the sign requests.

Evenflow
    ???
    ???
    ???

Then, during the long jam of Evenflow, everyone in the front area holds their signs up. Or the people in the back hold them up and Ed calls for them. Ed takes a bunch of signs, brings them back on stage, and goes through them and picks 3 out.

That sounds brilliant! I might have to bring a sign with a song on it for Hartford.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Newch91 wrote:
    FirstExit wrote:

Evenflow
    ???
    ???
    ???

That sounds brilliant! I might have to bring a sign with a song on it for Hartford.

It would be sweet!!!!!!!!! But I think ed does switch the set list up a TINY bit between encores, so bringing a sign would be a good idea even if he didn't do it, worth a shot.
    doompony is great. her stuff always makes me :mrgreen:
    i didn't read the whole thing. did it work, did they play black?

hhhmmm cool....i like the way bruce rolls. cool idea.

• drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    It's fun... what else are we going to do between now and then?

PLUS... if you look at the request threads for Philly... one was for Hold On and one was for Bugs. They didn't play every request thread obviously, but those two were NEVER played before so you have to wonder?
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 137
    Since the ticket feeding frenzy is over I guess what’s next is ‘please play such and such’.

Uuugggg, I have mixed feelings about that.

Do you think it’s dumb to request a song over an Internet chat board?
    Ed makes up the playlist right before pearl jam hits the stage right?
    What are the odds he looks on here and remembers your request?

Sure it’s cool to say to your buddy standing you’re next to ‘I hope they play ____’ And they play it. But to bump a play this thread a million times? I don’t know.

They are the threads I skip over... in fact I almost skipped over this one cause it had "song requests" in the title.... heh.
  • I'd really rather not go to shows and have some dipsticks in front of me holding up signs.
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
    I'd really rather not go to shows and have some dipsticks in front of me holding up signs.
    I think people with signs need to hold them up for like 5 seconds at a time and just a few times... and don't hold them too high and block everyone.

There are ways to do it that make it really short, less intrusive and still get seen...
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,634
    annoying - but they seem to work.

in recent memory: Of the Girl in Toronto,
    In My Tree, and Light Years - Vancouver
    and I remember "Man of the Hour" in Milan 06 (I went to the show, which is how I remember).

Among dozens of others.
    and on the sign comment - no signs. I won't be able to see. Idea is great in theory though.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    while we are on the topic...you know im gonna put in a plug for them to play black red yellow at msg ;)

thanks
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • drsluggo wrote:
    I'd really rather not go to shows and have some dipsticks in front of me holding up signs.
    I think people with signs need to hold them up for like 5 seconds at a time and just a few times... and don't hold them too high and block everyone.

There are ways to do it that make it really short, less intrusive and still get seen...

That's how it starts, then people will be like "wah they didn't play my song yet so I'll hold it up longer to make sure they see it" and it just keeps getting worse and worse. And then after a while the signs get bigger. Soon they're made with glitter sparkling all over and eventually become neon light signs. Soon enough instead of playing to people's faces, they play to a wall of signs.
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
    That's how it starts, then people will be like "wah they didn't play my song yet so I'll hold it up longer to make sure they see it" and it just keeps getting worse and worse. And then after a while the signs get bigger. Soon they're made with glitter sparkling all over and eventually become neon light signs. Soon enough instead of playing to people's faces, they play to a wall of signs.
    Well... that's true if the person is a jackass. I mean - if you're considerate you can do it in a way that doesn't really screw over the people behind you. If you're not considerate than obviously that's another issue. And if you aren't then you might be one of those people spilling beers during the 10 beer runs during the show, or the people who keep falling into you, etc, etc.

But I've seen both - some that do it quickly, see that the band saw it and put it away and then some people that hold up the sign so many times and for so long EV will actually kind of wave to them so they know 'yeah, i saw the friggin thing.' I guess that's what gives it a bad name... hard to argue it since it is insanely annoying.
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 137
    drsluggo wrote:
    Well... that's true if the person is a jackass. I mean - if you're considerate you can do it in a way that doesn't really screw over the people behind you. If you're not considerate than obviously that's another issue. And if you aren't then you might be one of those people spilling beers during the 10 beer runs during the show, or the people who keep falling into you, etc, etc.

But I've seen both - some that do it quickly, see that the band saw it and put it away and then some people that hold up the sign so many times and for so long EV will actually kind of wave to them so they know 'yeah, i saw the friggin thing.' I guess that's what gives it a bad name... hard to argue it since it is insanely annoying.

Whenever I bring my tri-fold poster board sign (billboard) to a PJ show I make sure to wear my giant afro wig (complete with big top-hat)... this way I piss off people in the upper deck as well.

heh
  • Didn't Stone say in an interview last year that he reads the request threads and immediately thinks "Fuck you guys" or am I making that up?
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
    Didn't Stone say in an interview last year that he reads the request threads and immediately thinks "Fuck you guys" or am I making that up?

i think i remember that.
    in case you can't tell i find song request annoying.

pj are my boys .... they can play anything they want.
    that's how i look at it.

if they can haul their asses to city to city, at least we can do is not hassle them so they can play what they want.

that's my 2 cents
    now carry on with the song requests. ;)
    and don't bring a bigass sign to bristow! i will swipe it out of your hands and rip it up if it's blocking my view. :lol: