NEXT "BACKSPACER" SINGLE

crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,380
edited March 2010 in The Porch
I hope it would be
"Amongst the waves"
I still stick by my original pick of a great "pop" pearl jam song from backspacer that should be a hit...

I gotta say it now
Better loud than too late
I gotta say it now
Better loud than too late
• 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
• 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
• 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
• 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
• 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
*Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
- 2013-10-21
- 2013=10-22
-2016 -04-28
-2016 -04-29
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• B MerksB Merks Posts: 209
    its gonna be unthought known - done deal
    Brian Merkle
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    It should be Got Some. I won't, but it should be.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • I hope it's Amongst The Waves too. Unthought Known isn't that good. I don't understand why people are all wet over it.
  • KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    Supersonic...Need a fast pearl jam track on the radio from Backspacer..

Jeremy
  • Supersonic and Got Some have already been released as B-sides, so forget those!
  • KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    Yeah, forgot supersonic was a b-side..Still, I think it would do great on the radio..

Jeremy
  • god i hope its anything but ATW. id take SPeed of Sound over that. anything. ATW might be the worst song they've ever written and im being dead serious. i would die of embarassment if my friends heard those horrible lyrics. the clumsy surfing metaphor is so cheesy.

i guess what im saying is i dont like it.
  • idreaminredidreaminred Posts: 314
    I hope it's Amongst The Waves too. Unthought Known isn't that good. I don't understand why people are all wet over it.

That's YOUR opinion. I love it.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    MrSmith wrote:
    god i hope its anything but ATW. id take SPeed of Sound over that. anything. ATW might be the worst song they've ever written and im being dead serious. i would die of embarassment if my friends heard those horrible lyrics. the clumsy surfing metaphor is so cheesy.

haha ... considering you think they only cater to northeast fans, you haven't liked any of their newer albums ... what keeps you here? ... maybe it's just coincidence but it seems everytime i see you post something - it's all negative towards the band ...

anyhoo - unthought known is the next single and i'm looking forward to a video to go with it ...
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    polaris_x wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    god i hope its anything but ATW. id take SPeed of Sound over that. anything. ATW might be the worst song they've ever written and im being dead serious. i would die of embarassment if my friends heard those horrible lyrics. the clumsy surfing metaphor is so cheesy.

haha ... considering you think they only cater to northeast fans, you haven't liked any of their newer albums ... what keeps you here? ... maybe it's just coincidence but it seems everytime i see you post something - it's all negative towards the band ...

anyhoo - unthought known is the next single and i'm looking forward to a video to go with it ...

Anyone who thinks the lyrics to Amongst the Waves are cheesy doesn't get them. Plain and simple.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Feel the sky blanket you with gems and rhinestones see the path cut by the moon for you to walk on. Great lyrics Great song
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Big Drop wrote:
    It should be Got Some. I won't, but it should be.
    wasnt in the back side of the just breathe?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    spoman wrote:
    Feel the sky blanket you with gems and rhinestones see the path cut by the moon for you to walk on. Great lyrics Great song
    +1
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Amoungst the Waves +1
  • polaris_x wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

Anyone who thinks the lyrics to Amongst the Waves are cheesy doesn't get them. Plain and simple.
    whats to get? please explain the incredible depth im missing here. its the most hamfisted, corny song they've made, and they've made a few. and dont get me started on the music. sounds like a lame radio rock band traying to ape PJ songs like Given to Fly, and failing miserably.

and, btw, i like the first half of BS ok. plus im an unapologetic lover of their first 5 albums. i mix my hate with some love :)
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Regardless of cheesyness Ed sounds good singing it, the band sounds great, the production is awesome. There a more things to like about the song than dislike I think.
  • I don't mind the lyrics of ATW nearly as much as some of the political shit on "Avocado", where it just wrecks the songs. "Unemployable" for example, the music is awesome but the cheesy lyrics nearly destroys it. I think the music and lyrics to ATW fit quite well actually, so it doesn't bother me much. I can do without the Scott Stapp-esque "my soul has been saved" crap, but what can you do? Ed is gonna be Ed.
  • edited March 2010
    I don't mind the lyrics of ATW nearly as much as some of the political shit on "Avocado", where it just wrecks the songs. "Unemployable" for example, the music is awesome but the cheesy lyrics nearly destroys it. I think the music and lyrics to ATW fit quite well actually, so it doesn't bother me much. I can do without the Scott Stapp-esque "my soul has been saved" crap, but what can you do? Ed is gonna be Ed.
    i have the same problem with a lot of the ST lyrics, but not that they are cheesy. they just kinda suck. but Ed is a genius. he did write brilliant stuff like Corduroy and Immortality. hopefully he can do it again. but yeah, "Saved the tears that were waterfallin', Let’s go swim tonight, darlin'" and "I can feel like I
    Have a soul that has been saved"? AWFUL! :D
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,179
    ATW has bad Indide Job-esque lyrics. Bland as they come. ST at least had punch to them :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    I think some peoples have a problem with Amongst the Waves for three reasons:

1) It's a love song
    2) Our fellow PJ-heads who are atheists/agnostics, hate the saved soul reference
    3) The soaring reverb-esque nature to it

I find it ironic though, because in my opinion... ATW (just vocal melody and music, discounting lyrics) is the closest song to a song that could be on ten that they've ever done... outside of ten and ten outtakes. I think the ten re-release brought about the music/vocal melody for this song. I think the lyrics are brought about because our boy Ed's in love.

ATW gets my vote... it would receive more airplay and notoriety than Unthought. That said, Unthought is great. So, I'm pleased either way... and who knows... ATW... might be single 4.

I'll close by saying, our friends that are anti-ATW are typically the same peeps who want to hear lukin and spin the black circle every song. They want to come off as tough, so they don't like love songs... and they want everyone to know they don't believe in souls being saved.

My point... who gives a flying fuckidy duck? It's a great song... deal with it.... stop being so macho. :wave:
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • KinseyKinsey Posts: 197
    wasn't in the back side of the just breathe?

In the back side - classic Greeklish Dimitris!
    When we found the things we loved,
    They were crushed and dying in the dirt.
    We tried to pick up the pieces,
    And get away without getting hurt,
    But they caught us at the state line,
    And burned our cars in one last fight,
    And left us running burned and blind,
    Chasing something in the night.
    Kinsey wrote:
    wasn't in the back side of the just breathe?

In the back side - classic Greeklish Dimitris!
    :lol::lol::lol::lol: ..and i have more.... :lol:
  • inlet13 wrote:

I find it ironic though, because in my opinion... ATW (just vocal melody and music, discounting lyrics) is the closest song to a song that could be on ten that they've ever done... outside of ten and ten outtakes. I think the ten re-release brought about the music/vocal melody for this song. I think the lyrics are brought about because our boy Ed's in love.
    :
    and thats another thing i hate about it! comparing ATW to Ten is like comparing Taco Bell meat to Filet Mignon! not even close!
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    gotta vote for johnny guitar again...love it!
    I love to turn you on