'Down' dedicated to Howard Zinn

BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,165
edited March 2010 in The Porch
On one of the boots from a few years ago Ed introduces 'Down' by saying this ones for Howard Zinn...

I wonder if Ed will dedicate this song to Howard on the upcoming tour... great song...lets hope so!

Maybe 'My City of Ruins' in New Orleans in memory of people who died after Hurricane Katrina??
Melbourne #1 '98
Melbourne #2 '03
Melbourne #3 '03
Melbourne #1 '06
Melbourne #3 '06
Melbourne '09
Melbourne '14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 586
    The boot was from one of the Mansfield 03' ones.
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • TheVan218TheVan218 Posts: 302
    "Down" is one of those songs that I'll probably get a lot of crap for for openly saying that it doesn't do much for me. It's ok for what it is, but for some odd reason the band loves playing it, and the fans love hearing it. That's probably me though just not being a big fan of most of the stuff that came from the Riot Act era. So...

It's a pretty good song.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,765
    edited March 2010
    Love down. One of those songs I would love to hear everytimr they play.

They have dedicated (and accredited) it to Howard zinn on more than one occasion. I'm sure i've heard it dedicated/talked about on a bunch of different boots.

They played it on night one at MSG in 08.... Had the floor shaking and everthing.

Won't let the darkness swallow me me!!!!
    Post edited by shep on
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    this will be played a good amount on the tour
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 586
    TheVan218 wrote:
    "Down" is one of those songs that I'll probably get a lot of crap for for openly saying that it doesn't do much for me. It's ok for what it is, but for some odd reason the band loves playing it, and the fans love hearing it. That's probably me though just not being a big fan of most of the stuff that came from the Riot Act era. So...

It's a pretty good song.

It is from the Riot Act Era dude.
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • glbglb Posts: 356
    I love Down. They played it in Tampa in 08. After the song Ed mentions it was based off the books of Howard Zinn. Then he tells us how Down is a very hopeful song like he is going to explain it some more, but then he says "uh yeah I'll talk more about it later". Goes right into a great version of Wishlist. At the end of Wishlist he tells a 3 minute story about being in the bleachers at Wrigley and his hero Jose Cardenal in right field. :lol: It was great! Oh, he actually mentions the hope that gave him relating it back to Down I guess. Ed was all philosophical that night.
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • glbglb Posts: 356
    So of course I've been listening to that strech from Tampa now..... damn that was a solid run of songs and energy. LIght Years, Down, Wishlist, to Given to Fly!
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • ruggs1996 wrote:
    TheVan218 wrote:

It's a pretty good song.

It is from the Riot Act Era dude.

That's what he said...dude.

This song is best when played with Mike Ness and Jonny 2 Bags.
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
  • TheVan218 wrote:

I've always liked it becuase it reminds me of an old country tune called "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" that I've always loved. It has the same kind of vibe to the main riff. So for that reason alone, I enjoy hearing it. It's not a groundbreaking song by any means, but it's pleasant enough. It definitely doesn't fit in with the other songs from that era which is probably why it didn't make "Riot Act".