The Black Keys * VS * Band Of Horses

2»

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Ok wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    killer song- never heard anything by them before listening to this song and now I can't stop playing it on my ipod!

Check out the music video for Ghost, its classic. Also, that entire CD Cease to Begin is incredibly good. I saw these guys at Carnigie Hall last summer (they've really done limited touring to the northeast) and it was incredible to hear Bridwell's voice in a place like that. Filled the room.

Also, you can't really compare the two man crew of the black keys to BOH's - most of BOH's shows involve literlly 8-12 musians playing various intruments.

Also saw Black Keys at Terminal 5 last winter (was a little drunk) but thought they kicked out a great show as well.

I'm so excited that these guys are joining PJ this tour and that people will be able to see them.

:thumbup:
    :thumbup: :thumbup:
    again
    thanks everyone !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • AlltheWay23AlltheWay23 Posts: 159
    Don't know anything about the black keys but band of horses had the audacity to play over janes addiction at lolla when janes was starting to play on the opposite stage..check out 'the funeral' and play it LOUD
  • danny ddanny d Posts: 90
    To me, boh sounds like something I could possibly get into after a few listens, but the black keys just grabbed me right away. I discovered them about 6 months ago and own every album. I love them all. You can't go wrong with any of them, just know that their latest "ATTACK AND RELEASE" is a little different than the rest of the lot. If you enjoy AAR you also have to check out Dan Auerbach's solo album, "KEEP IT HID". It is excellent and maybe my favorite of the bunch.
  • oceans18oceans18 Posts: 154
    I saw Band of Horses open for Modest Mouse in 2007 and they were much better than I expected so now I have a few of their CDs.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die
    *the in between is mine*
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    Unlike PJ, both of these bands haved toured the south pretty extensively. I had a chance to see the Black Keys at a small club around 2003 or 04. Imagine a more rocking version of the White Stripes, good old garage blues. Unfortunately, They haven't aged very well. At subsequent shows, I was not as impressed as I was originally. Same with their albums.

Now BOH on the other hand have only gotten better with each album. I am really pumped to see these guys in an arena/amphitheater setting with hopefully a full P.A. at their disposal. Bottom line- both bands are much better openers than they had last year.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Black Keys are great, but all their early albums are basically the same. Attack and Release was a breath of fresh air. looking forward to the new one.
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Black keys have a new album out 18th May.

Otherwise i suggest 'Thickfreakness' and 'Magic Potion'.
    yup! black keys are sick. if you like hip-hop check out their side project blakroc. band of horses if great too
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
    i LOVE band of horses. both albums. spectacular. listen to them A LOT.

i LIKE the black keys. got one of their records and it's good, but it never totally grabbed me like BOH did. i much prefer the dan auerbach solo record.
  • Arocker28Arocker28 Posts: 60
    never listened to either, but my buddy at school really likes the black keys so i got a few albums and i'll check them out in the next few days.

im excited too see both
  • I agree with the comment that Band of Horses and Black Keys are great choices by PJ... Anyway, just thought I would share by BoH cut. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuYTqkjBgEg
  • BMo-643BMo-643 Posts: 220
    Both bands are really, really good.....Been into the Black Keys for about 3 or 4 years...they are just stripped down, garage, Hendrix-influxed bluesy rock...

Band of Horses I've been listening to for a little over a year and they are really, really good...I don't know why but I get a My Morning Jacket vibe when I listen to them....but I am pumped to see BOH....I can't believe PJ got a good band to open for them...FINALLY!!....
    Cincinnati 06'
    Lollapalooza 07'
    Bonnaroo 08'
    Columbus 10'
    Noblesville 10'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Music Midtown 12'
    Wrigley Field 13'
    Cincinnati 14'
    Lexington 16'
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    don't get the band of horses. snoozeFest to me. zzzzz
    seen the black key once live. they're good.

what's the most upbeat band of horses song?
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• LukinTimerLukinTimer Posts: 538
    I have to say I am VERY happy with both of these opening bands! They are very different as people here have already pointed out, but there is a lot to like about them both...

Got into Black Keys after hearing them on KCRW a couple years ago... great funky stuff.

And I think Band of Horses are phenomenal, "Cease to Begin" is an incredible album... they are kind of mellow, but still have amazing energy. I saw them a few months back at Club Nokia and they were a lot of fun, great vibe and crowd.

Right now I'm only catching early PJ shows, so I'll be seeing Band of Horses, but I'm hoping to make it to MSG so I can see Black Keys as well!
    "Holly f**k, that was so amazing, I just forgot who I came here to see!!" - Courtesy of the guy in the U2 t-shirt standing next to me in Aloha Stadium, Post PJ
  • soonerdeadsoonerdead Posts: 117
    bhigh901 wrote:
    Band of Horses "Cease to Begin" is brilliant.. prefer it to "Everything All the Time" However. they are releasing a new album on May 18th "Infinite Arms" and I assume that will be the bulk of the setlist..
    Think Jane's Addiction meets the Beach Boys and Gram Parsons at MMJ's house...

Absolutely agree. Cease To Begin is my opinion is better than Everything All The Time, but it's also a worthy purchase.

Marry Song off CTB was the first song at my wedding reception. Can't wait for the new album!
  • been listening to band of horses a lot over the past 2 weeks, becoming a big fan, really like their sound
    PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
    Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
    EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    i know nothing about Band of Horses but .. you should really pick up "attack and release" by the keys.. and any of their other albums, but that one happens to be one of my favorite.. Ive heard a couple of songs by BOH but not really feeling it... will give them a live chance of course;)
  • vercemanverceman Posts: 681
    Band of Horses had one of the best albums of the year in 2007. Black Keys are pretty good, but I specifically chose to buy tix for the Friday night MSG show so I could see Band Of Horses live.
  • Both bands are freaking great and I believe are some of the best bands to come out in the last 5 years or so.

Band of Horses is pretty mellow at times but some of their songs open up to this genius wall of indie rock sound and melody that only makes you want to get lost in another world.

Black Keys are a bit more "dirty" sounding. Very bluesy, 70's riff driven music. My personal favorite to just jam when I'm outside at the BBQ.

I can honestly say I'm as exited to see Band of Horses as I am Pearl Jam which has never quite been the case before. Although Sparta, My Morning Jacket, and Death Cab for Cutie were great to see as well in the past.

Everyone going to MSG please rock the fuck out to the Keys as I will not be privleged enough to see that show, it will rock for sure.
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - West Palm Beach, St. Louis, Champaign, Bonner Springs, and East Troy
    2004 - St. Louis, Asheville, and Kissimmee
    2005 - Kitchener and London, Ontario
    2006 - Chicago Night 1, Cincinnati, and St. Paul Night 1
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2010 - St. Louis and Noblesville
    2011 - East Troy PJ20 Night 1 and Night 2
    2013 - Wrigley and Oklahoma City
    2014 - St. Louis and Memphis
    2016 - Lexington
    2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • both are great. in terms of non jack white bands, the black keys may be the best blues based band in the world. and in terms of indie rock, band of horses, remains one of the top indie rock bands in the world. both are deadly.
  • WashedWashed Posts: 736
    Two of my favorite bands right now, period. I even posted these two bands in a "who should open for PJ on their next tour" thread a while back, so I'm thrilled!

Band of Horses is great and has a thinner, next generation sound. It's haunting and beautiful.

The Black Keys are a down and dirty rock duo who float silky smooth lyrics on top of dirty, filthy 70s guitar riffs. If there's a band I'm listening to more than PJ in the last 2 years, it is the Black Keys.

You can't go wrong with either...enjoy!
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • I was fortunate to see Band of Horses last week at Stubbs for SXSW. They really put on an amazing show! I think if you haven't seen them live and get the chance to on this PJ tour, you'll really like them!
    Austin, TX
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Both bands are freaking great and I believe are some of the best bands to come out in the last 5 years or so.

Band of Horses is pretty mellow at times but some of their songs open up to this genius wall of indie rock sound and melody that only makes you want to get lost in another world.

Black Keys are a bit more "dirty" sounding. Very bluesy, 70's riff driven music. My personal favorite to just jam when I'm outside at the BBQ.

I can honestly say I'm as exited to see Band of Horses as I am Pearl Jam which has never quite been the case before. Although Sparta, My Morning Jacket, and Death Cab for Cutie were great to see as well in the past.

Everyone going to MSG please rock the fuck out to the Keys as I will not be privleged enough to see that show, it will rock for sure.

Man, I forgot about how many great bands have opened for PJ! Sweet.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,812
    I was in the Black Keys website and noticed something that I didn't know about them. Apparently The Black Keys only allow fans to Audio tape them, no video. Just thought that was kinda odd. Looked on youtube for some live video and couldn't really find any.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I'm not a fan of the black keys. I'm glad i'll be seeing band of horses opening for PJ at MSG 2.
    I didn't know the band until last week and now I can't stop listening to their albums. "Cease to fire" is really great.
    Listen to that:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuZo7pLn ... re=channel

just beautiful ;)
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Alpine BoundAlpine Bound Posts: 1,809
    my friend just played some Band of Horses for me last night and I am officially super excited for them to open the 3 shows I'll be at!

In fact I just ordered there 2 records off amazon... I love LPs with free mp3 downloads 8-)