Hotel Pennsylvania

PA-RVMPA-RVM Posts: 158
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Has anyone ever stayed at the hotel Pennsylvania in NYC? How was, or how is it?? Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    I know the proximity to the Garden is alluring,
    but if youre the slightest bit picky about where you rest your head at night ( or into the morning )

i'd stay far away from this place.

I stayed there once, and there were moldy issues in our room.
    They were always under constant renovations as well,
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,445
    It was ok. If you're thinking about getting a good shower in the morning, don't! There wasn't any good water pressure. Few friends who were there that time had the same problem too. Hopefully they upgraded their water system. If not, do what Kramer and Newman did. Save some money for a black market shower heads. :P

Penn is just across the street of MSG. It's great for time plus you can do alot of things close by. There's a subway just on the right of the hotel. Took me straight to the Late Show with David Letterman. Got on top of the building & checked out the outskirts of NYC! :)
  • WM31482WM31482 Posts: 563
    don't do it!!

they're supposed to be full of bedbugs
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    the place is awful.

i've worked in hotels for about 10 yrs, many of which in manhattan. this place is NOTORIOUS for bed bugs. awful, awful. stay away. the location is great... but honestly, manhattan is not that big. you can get from anywhere to anywhere with a quick walk, subway ride, cab ride. i think, the nicer hotels are on the east side... but that is just opinion.
  • location is great, but a bunch of people from the 10c stayed there in 2003 and said it was terrible. some got bed bugs. not good.

if you have questions about any place, check out tripadvisor.com...it'll save you from a bad experience.
  • iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    Stayed in 2003. Needed 2 rooms. Were on different floors. One (my friends room) had awesome views and was on the corner, so had 2 windows. The other (our room) had a small window with a view of some trash on an adjacent rooftop. The room was old but seemed clean enough. I really think the room was overall, good. This was the second room we were given however. When we checked into the first room, the door was already open and we go in and I look in the bathroom and much to my surprise! Someone had taken a nice big poop :shock: :o :( :x in the toilet and left it for me to find. So, that was probably a negative.

By the way, the smiley d=faces I used were accurate in my expression at the time.
    tacos
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    only a few hours u stay there...its ny...i stay there for msg 08..all normal..no bugs in the hotel,no bugs in msg (pj they didnt play it..)..i bought poster,shirts,shocks ofcourse..go back the hotel,leave them,back to the venue easy,,|+see this thread
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=126466
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    edited March 2010
    the place is awful.

i've worked in hotels for about 10 yrs, many of which in manhattan. this place is NOTORIOUS for bed bugs. awful, awful. stay away. the location is great... but honestly, manhattan is not that big. you can get from anywhere to anywhere with a quick walk, subway ride, cab ride. i think, the nicer hotels are on the east side... but that is just opinion.

that place is gross, thats a fact not even an opinion.

how do people get tricked into booking rooms there anymore??

if i type it into google i immediately pull this up: http://www.observer.com/2010/politics/l ... nnsylvania

bed_bug_stuffed_f1559.jpg
    Post edited by WM31482 on
  • JR86440JR86440 Posts: 742
    PA-RVM wrote:
    Has anyone ever stayed at the hotel Pennsylvania in NYC? How was, or how is it?? Thanks

stay at the New Yorker Hotel. It is about 50 yards from the Penn...NICE place..reasonable prices for NY
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    http://www.belvederehotelnyc.com/

The Belvedere is always a good choice. Stayed there several times and had zero problems.
  • VartVart Posts: 291
    I just booked the Holiday Inn Express. It has good reviews for the most part.
    PJ: 8/27/00 4/29/03 9/15/05 5/12/06 6/28/08 6/30/08 8/21/09 5/15/10 5/21/10 9/11/11 9/12/11 9/14/11 10/25/13 10/27/13 10/29/13 10/30/13 8/5/16 8/7/16 9/2/18 9/4/18
    EV: 8/09/08 8/10/08 6/08/09 6/09/09 6/18/11
  • lelunelelune Posts: 15
    Let me preface this by saying that I am NOT picky about where I stay. I've slept on airport floors, stayed in hostels with a hose over the toilet for a shower, and $30 rat motels down South and have been perfectly content. That said...

The Hotel Penn is the WORST ****hole I have had the displeasure of sleeping in in my life. The lighting in the room was akin to what I'd imagine a single-candle 18th-century barn would emit. The bathroom was disgusting and moldy and everything was chipping. There was no air circulation. The blankets were rough and uncomfortable, almost linen-like. Ugh. Really, stay anywhere else. There are hostels in Chinatown that are cheaper and more pleasant.
  • PA-RVMPA-RVM Posts: 158
    Wow, thanks everyone! I knew that it had iffy reviews, but f-in bed bugs!?
  • Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    hahah i had a reservation there....changing it now.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    JR86440 wrote:
    PA-RVM wrote:

stay at the New Yorker Hotel. It is about 50 yards from the Penn...NICE place..reasonable prices for NY
    Just booked it not a horrible price for new york.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Mcam55 wrote:
    hahah i had a reservation there....changing it now.

yea definitely change. this post says it all, and things have only gone downhill since:

http://www0.epinions.com/review/New_York_s_Hotel_Pennsylvania/content_217582767748
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    I personally recommend checking out www.tripadvisor.com for any and all hotel stays. I never plan a trip without checking hotel reviews!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• who knew it was that bad, the lobby looks nice. That place used to be the Penta Hotel way back in the day.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,816
    why is there a hotel in NYC called Hotel Pennsylvania?

Not sure what me and my one friend are doing that night. Might drive back home that night or stay at a friends house. He better not bail on me. He said he wanted to go, but he has bailed on me before for a few concerts. :x
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • why is there a hotel in NYC called Hotel Pennsylvania?

Not sure what me and my one friend are doing that night. Might drive back home that night or stay at a friends house. He better not bail on me. He said he wanted to go, but he has bailed on me before for a few concerts. :x

because of its proximity to Pennsylvania Station, which is named after the old railroad of the same name, which is the precursor to Amtrak.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,816
    why is there a hotel in NYC called Hotel Pennsylvania?

because of its proximity to Pennsylvania Station, which is named after the old railroad of the same name, which is the precursor to Amtrak.

oh ok gotcha, thanks :)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • LOV2ROCKLOV2ROCK Posts: 822
    JR86440 wrote:
    PA-RVM wrote:

yep,stayed there at the 2008 shows. Awesome hotel.
    Room with 1 queen bed is going for $199 a night.
    Great deal. More than 2 people? Bring a $20 air mattress.

I will always stay there when pj plays the garden. Walked to the
    garden several times. Lots of stuff within walking distance of
    the hotel. Love the area!
    See ya there. Just look for the bad toupee ;)
  • BinOttawaBinOttawa Posts: 80
    Looks like I need to re think my hotel...I can deal with a dirty room, but not a big fan of bed bugs!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BinOttawa/featured
    Sometimes I see a strange spot in the sky, a human being that was Given To Fly
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,845
    you can get a room at the hilton for $199 if you pay in advance
    some of my friends swear by the milburn hotel-its a bit uptown-and you had better triple check your reservation-but its nice and under $200
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,950
    wasn't this The Eagles followup album to Hotel California? :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,445
    Mama mia!! :shock: I guess good times & experiences only happen to certain folks when you stay @ the Penn. My room was pretty clean. Floors were clean, smoke free as I have asthma & clean air is what I need. Only thing I didn't like was shower water pressure. Morning after the PJ MSG2 event, I left on GreyHound that was just up the street of the Penn. In Hartford, I had an amazing jacuzzi style shower. Not sure how much I payed but I enjoyed my stay. :)
  • I personally recommend checking out http://www.tripadvisor.com for any and all hotel stays. I never plan a trip without checking hotel reviews!
    I travel for a living and this and kayak.com are my go-to sites when booking the trips! :thumbup:
    Why go home?
    Looks like I need to re think my hotel...I can deal with a dirty room, but not a big fan of bed bugs!

Seriously, you should switch it- I've never seen a bedbug or even looked in the window of this place, but I saw the woman on the news that woke up completely covered in bites after staying there. And also every Saturday my mail comes with this Valupack thing full of coupons, including one for these bed bug sniffing dogs which kind of scares me- http://nybedbugdogs.reachlocal.net/

Please don't bring them into my section at MSG :roll: :roll:
  • AlbeAlbe Posts: 22
    Stayed there in 08 for one night.

Didn't get bedbugs. The room was clean, but was a bit pricey, but hey, it's Manhattan.

You can't bet the convenience factor of it's location.

We were able to check our stuff in, so we didn't have to worry about carrying stuff through the city during the day or what to do with it during the show. It was awesome to dip out of the Garden, run across the street, grab our stuff, run back across the street and catch the train home.

It's close to a lot of things, there were a bunch of PJ fans there, and we had a smoking room, for, uh, you know...
  • We stayed there in 2008 and it was not that bad of a hotel. Dated...YES....bad water pressure....YES and if you are planning on spending most of your NYC trip in the hotel then you might reconsider. But if you want proximity...it doesn't get any better than stumbling across the street back to your hotel to continue the party after the shows. Plus the place will be filled with Ten Club members. No bed bug bites here...so I booked a room again with 4 twin beds for $250 a night with all taxes and fees. Broke down to about $65 a person which everyone in my group was happy with!