A little bit of B.S.

asmacumberasmacumber Posts: 24
edited March 2010 in The Porch
And I don't mean "Backspacer" ...

I hate to see a thread locked just because it says something negative about the band and no one agrees with it. I'm all for having rules, but saying that a poster cannot be honest and express what they truly feel is wrong. I mean, I always thought this band stood for freedom of speech and stood up for the little guy.

I may not agree with the poster who said that PJ is greedy and that they have the "Green Disease", but I do have my share of gripes (i.e. And WHEN was the last REAL Texas tour date?) Am I to believe that I cannot air my grievances here? That my opinion doesn't matter because it may be a negative one? Tell me, where else are we supposed to go gripe and hash out our issues with something the band is or is not doing? How else are we supposed to be heard?

I love Pearl Jam. I have been on board since the first time I listened to "Black" on a cassette that was left in my car by my friend back in '92, but I will agree that their current touring practice does leave a lot to be desired. I'm sorry if I refuse to drive 8-10 hours for a concert. I am an adult with a real life and adult responsibilities. I just can't do that sort of thing anymore. And I am beginning to resent that I have to see them on TV if I want to watch them perform on stage.

I am and will always be a fan of the music, but I am beginning to lose faith in the band themselves (or their management and planning team). I am really sad with how we in the south have been treated by this band with it's exclusionary touring practices.

I'm sure I'll get flamed and my thread may get locked, but sometimes you have to say, "What the fu*k." Just ask Joel ...

(and if you don't get that last bit, you're too young ...)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• erebuserebus Posts: 566
    totally hypothetical, but what if PJ decided to purposely not play a state ie. Texas for one reason or another.

would you be less of a fan because they did not come to your state ( whichever one that may be) Fact is, most people have to travel to see the band.

I go see the band, I don't expect them to come see me.
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    2024: Vancouver I, Vancouver II
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    edited March 2010
    A. It's not a freedom of speech issue. I would have no problem with someone saying bad things about me, but if this is in my house I would probably ask them to leave and talk elsewhere.

B. The rules of this forum are very clear.

Posting Guidelines
    1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

C. I have some issues with the 10 Club, quite a few actually, so don't think I'm just defending them blindly. But I don't find it B.S. that they lock threads that are disrespectful.

There is a proper, respectful way to disagree with this club and it's policies. Follow it, or you thread might be locked.
    Post edited by Wilds on
  • DriftEdDriftEd Posts: 74
    Im the one who posted about the green disease. I had frustrations and I vented...You clearly and maturely articulated what I was feeling and thanks for understanding where I was coming from.
    I sometimes wonder if they know that I'm gone...
    DriftEd wrote:
    Im the one who posted about the green disease. I had frustrations and I vented...You clearly and maturely articulated what I was feeling and thanks for understanding where I was coming from.

And not to drone on, but that is the point. I don't think this thread gets locked, cause the OP here is not being disrespectful. He has a complaint and is airing it, and I think that is fine.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    erebus wrote:
    totally hypothetical, but what if PJ decided to purposely not play a state ie. Texas for one reason or another.

would you be less of a fan because they did not come to your state ( whichever one that may be) Fact is, most people have to travel to see the band.

While that is VERY frustrating, it doesn't make me less of a fan. About all it accomplishes is me coming on here and venting for a couple of days and then ending up traveling.

But I should be able to do that on a message board as long as I don't resort to name calling and cursing the band, the Ten Club, other members, etc.

That's when they get upset and lock threads.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • teflonsteveteflonsteve Posts: 275
    Wilds wrote:
    A. It's not a freedom of speech issue. I would have no problem with someone saying bad things about me, but if this is in my house I would probably ask them to leave and talk elsewhere..

so next time I go to a concert and eddie starts badmouthing (insert flavour of the week cause here) I should tell him to shutup and ask him to leave?
    9/20/05 - Quebec City
    9/22/05 - Halifax
    6/19/08 - Camden 
    6/28/08 - Mansfield 
    9/07/11 - Montreal
    5/05/16 - Quebec City
  • I think "IMO" that alot of people here are frustrated because of the small tours.
    That`s it in a nut shell.
    The last BIG tour that Pearl Jam did in the states was 2003.
    They played in areas of the country that made it easier for fans to
    travel if they needed to.
    When people have to travel from Texas to Missouri to see a show they get a little pissed.
    When people have to travel for several hours to go see a concert because Pearl Jam hasn't played in their area in several years it is going to cause problems. People are going to be pissed.
  • Diggy381Diggy381 Posts: 165
    Wilds wrote:
    A. It's not a freedom of speech issue. I would have no problem with someone saying bad things about me, but if this is in my house I would probably ask them to leave and talk elsewhere..

so next time I go to a concert and eddie starts badmouthing (insert flavour of the week cause here) I should tell him to shutup and ask him to leave?
    Eddie plays in your house?!

Lucky!
  • mustbechrismustbechris Posts: 228
    Wilds wrote:

if the concert is in your house and you're the flavor of the week cause he's badmouthing, then by all means go for it.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    asmacumber wrote:
    And I don't mean "Backspacer" ...

I hate to see a thread locked just because it says something negative about the band and no one agrees with it. I'm all for having rules, but saying that a poster cannot be honest and express what they truly feel is wrong. I mean, I always thought this band stood for freedom of speech and stood up for the little guy.

I may not agree with the poster who said that PJ is greedy and that they have the "Green Disease", but I do have my share of gripes (i.e. And WHEN was the last REAL Texas tour date?) Am I to believe that I cannot air my grievances here? That my opinion doesn't matter because it may be a negative one? Tell me, where else are we supposed to go gripe and hash out our issues with something the band is or is not doing? How else are we supposed to be heard?

I love Pearl Jam. I have been on board since the first time I listened to "Black" on a cassette that was left in my car by my friend back in '92, but I will agree that their current touring practice does leave a lot to be desired. I'm sorry if I refuse to drive 8-10 hours for a concert. I am an adult with a real life and adult responsibilities. I just can't do that sort of thing anymore. And I am beginning to resent that I have to see them on TV if I want to watch them perform on stage.

I am and will always be a fan of the music, but I am beginning to lose faith in the band themselves (or their management and planning team). I am really sad with how we in the south have been treated by this band with it's exclusionary touring practices.

I'm sure I'll get flamed and my thread may get locked, but sometimes you have to say, "What the fu*k." Just ask Joel ...

(and if you don't get that last bit, you're too young ...)

Your thread is a respectable and mature approach to a complaint. The other one was not. You can't honestly expect the mods to see a thread start with Fuck You Pearl Jam!, then repeat that sentiment several times over and not at least lock it? I'm all for venting frustrations, but there's a right way and a wrong way.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
    Wilds wrote:

Do you own the building? If so that would be your right. If you don't then you need to STFU and let that man rant. :lol::lol::lol:
  • erebus wrote:

While I don't expect the band to "come see me", I do expect them to come within a reasonable distance (especially since I live within an hour of Dallas, a HUGE market). Hell, a real concert in Austin with more than one night, or even Houston for that matter! Back in 1996 (9/16/96) I drove 3 hours to Austin to see them and it was worth it ... still would be. But that year was the "Summer of TicketMaster", where the band was boycotting TM and only playing certain venues,so it was expected and even appreciated in a way.

But now they have no excuse I can see ... they've thrown in with TM and can play any mid-sized arena and just don't come here ... and yes,it pisses me off. I feel ignored and unappreciated. My money is just as good as anyone's, and I buy merchandise and CD's and bootlegs. I pay my 10c membership and get what as a reward?!?! A chance to buy tickets to a show it would cost me a weeks pay to attend (with gas, lodging, food, and tickets considered all together.)

So, in answer to your question, yes ... I would stop being a fan of the band if they continue to ignore me and the other many, many thousands of fans in Texas. Why care about someone that obviously doesn't care about you? I've been in one-way relationships before, and they suck. I've got no time for someone that has no time for me ...
  • But Joel gets the chick in the end.....and they go to Paris
  • DirtyGinNY wrote:
    But Joel gets the chick in the end.....and they go to Paris

I thought he bought his furniture back and goes to Princeton?
    How I choose to feel is how I am.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    TRAVEL...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PJam82PJam82 Posts: 107
    I think "IMO" that alot of people here are frustrated because of the small tours.
    That`s it in a nut shell.
    The last BIG tour that Pearl Jam did in the states was 2003.
    They played in areas of the country that made it easier for fans to
    travel if they needed to.
    When people have to travel from Texas to Missouri to see a show they get a little pissed.
    When people have to travel for several hours to go see a concert because Pearl Jam hasn't played in their area in several years it is going to cause problems. People are going to be pissed.

This is true...now add about a 2day notice before tickets go on sale, and multiply that with not knowing ticket prices until you basically sit at a computer for 5 hours to purchase tickets and it, and square a slow 10c server = MAJOR FRUSTRATION among the fanbase.

I don't think fans are as pissed off about ticket prices as much as it seems at the moment, when the dust settles, it will be this awful distribution of information. I'm on the west coast and will not be attending. But man.....they really dropped the ball.

My personal opinion...

-Give the 10c member AT LEAST a month before on-sale ticket info.
    -UPGRADE THE DAMN SERVERS
    -Face value for 10c tickets....I don't dispute that, PJ is THE BEST damn live show I've ever seen. However, ALWAYS leave some tickets aside at about 30$ or so for those nosebleeds. At least put in the effort, like it isn't about the money. Us diehards will pay anything, let some kids in the shows as well.
  • TRAVEL...

Be glad to ... You buyin'??? No? Well then, let's see ... eat and pay my bills, or travel to see a band. Hmmm ... tough choice.

I hate to say it, but all of you who think this can be rectified by telling us that complain to "travel" really need a headinbuttectomy. Not everyone can afford to travel to see a band. That is a luxury during times when necessities can be hard enough to pay for.

I wish the PJ zealots would stop making excuses for this band just because they think they're so great. I love this band and their music, but I don't appreciate feeling jilted every singe time a tour announcement comes out. I used to get so excited around "new album time" (akin to Christmas when you're 8 years old) because I knew a tour would be coming and I'd get to go see my favorite band. But now I"m glad to get the music but don't hold out any real hope that when the tours are announced that my city (or even state) will be among those blessed with an appearance.

So while I'm glad that some of you can travel to see this band, don't assume that just because YOU can that we ALL can. That kind of argument is called a "syllogism" (i.e. I am a person. I can afford to travel to see Pearl Jam. Therefore all people can afford to travel to see Pearl Jam). That kind of thinking is fallacious and erroneous.
  • Pretty sure they had to move venues for a number of shows during the 2003 tour due to poor ticket sales. I assume that didn't help their bottom line. And maybe they don't like losing money. I sure don't.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    I'm starting to have a thought here, lets look at the facts.

The last time they did a full tour of the US was 2003. Who was the record label then? Sony Music/Epic. They also did an extensive tour of Canada in 2005, and they were still under their contract with Sony Music/Epic.

Even since then, the tours have been shorter and cutting out large parts of the country. Maybe Sony helped foot the bill for the tours back then? Maybe it was in their contract with Sony that they had to do bigger tours?

Looking at the facts, it doesn't seem to much of a stretch, right? Or am I just crazy?
  • Thorns2010 wrote:

Looking at the facts, it doesn't seem to much of a stretch, right? Or am I just crazy?

I think these are two separate questions.

Answer to #1 = No

Answer to #2 = Maybe
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    asmacumber wrote:
    TRAVEL...

Be glad to ... You buyin'??? No? Well then, let's see ... eat and pay my bills, or travel to see a band. Hmmm ... tough choice.

I hate to say it, but all of you who think this can be rectified by telling us that complain to "travel" really need a headinbuttectomy. Not everyone can afford to travel to see a band. That is a luxury during times when necessities can be hard enough to pay for.

I wish the PJ zealots would stop making excuses for this band just because they think they're so great. I love this band and their music, but I don't appreciate feeling jilted every singe time a tour announcement comes out. I used to get so excited around "new album time" (akin to Christmas when you're 8 years old) because I knew a tour would be coming and I'd get to go see my favorite band. But now I"m glad to get the music but don't hold out any real hope that when the tours are announced that my city (or even state) will be among those blessed with an appearance.

So while I'm glad that some of you can travel to see this band, don't assume that just because YOU can that we ALL can. That kind of argument is called a "syllogism" (i.e. I am a person. I can afford to travel to see Pearl Jam. Therefore all people can afford to travel to see Pearl Jam). That kind of thinking is fallacious and erroneous.
    so much talking make no sence
    stay home and read the fanviews ..cant help u,Sorry..oh wait..
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=126886&hilit=+why+now
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    asmacumber wrote:
    TRAVEL...

The fact of the matter is .. im not even sure how i pull off traveling.. usually i catch a ride with someone and just try to be froogle (ie, skipping on shirts, posters, booze ect) It can be done but im not sure how people with houses, kids shit like that could ever pull off traveling for the band (specially since ticket prices go up every tour) Speaking of which.. if the band thinks that they have to raise ticket prices since people "steal" their music than thes really no point of me buying double copies of stuff and trying to support the band because obviously, me and my purchases are very insignificant these days. It's a real slap in the face considering i know that myself and other people have done nothing but spend money and support pearl jam for going on decades now. Now we did that, they are all filthy rich, but since a couple people downloaded backspacer tickets have to be through the roof? I don't buy any of it. Not for a second. I just hope pearl jam appreciates the people who shelled out money they didn't really have over the years because they believed in the music of five guys and wanted them to be treated as great as they actually were (anyone remember when NOBODY gave a fuck about pearl jam other than us die hards? ) Fact of the matter is.. theirs always gonna be some places that pearl jam can't play (You think you have it ruff? Try living on another continent where theres not a chance in hell of you being able to see them in your country, much less be able to visit another country to see them) I say that if you want to see a show, your only option is to be patient.. or save up and use your vacation from work to go see the band.. thats what a majority of people do these days. If you are disgusted that they are not the band you pegged them for.. than by all means.. i know plenty of great bands that go through Texas when the tour. Go see a band called "nico vega" cheap ass ticket, amazing music and they actually tour west coast, mid west and east coast.
    Wilds wrote:

There is a proper, respectful way to disagree with this club and it's policies. Follow it, or you thread might be locked.

Basically.. if you don't like something pearl jam is doing.. don't bring it up..No matter how respectful you are, board members are gonna give you shit, people are gonna throw up the posting guidelines and its all very predictable and boring. Sure you may have no other place in the world to express yourself about these things but its really not worth the aggravation..Just move on and find another favorite band .Just remember not buying the next album is the ultimate F YOU
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    edited March 2010
    i disagree mandi

if you have a problem and can relay it in a civilized manner I don’t see what the problem is.

Example: Some people here thought I had gotten bent out of shape over some lameass joke about a person taking handicap seats when they weren’t handicapped.

Everybody was laughing it up until I came along and it explained it wasn’t funny to me because I’m disabled and have seen that happen.

People thought I had a stick up my ass and thought kat would lock it. they were actually asking kat to lock it.

I don’t think it was ever locked because I was calm. I didn’t get all berserk and start flaming people. I got that some people saw that as funny. I had the opportunity to air my side because it wasn’t locked and i'm glad it wasn't.

While I think it’s stupid to sign up to a fan site forum just to flame them, we do pay $20 a year. If you can word your grievance in a civilized way, I don’t see a problem.

Question:
    PJ seems to come to my area every two years. Is that not the case for all of the USA?
    Post edited by blondieblue227 on
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

i disagree mandi

if you have a problem and can relay it in a civilize manner I don’t see what the problem is.

Example: Some people here thought I had gotten bent out of shape over some lameass joke about a person taking handicap seats when they weren’t handicapped.

Everybody was laughing it up until I came along and it explained it wasn’t funny to because I’m disabled and have seen that happened.

People thought I had a stick up my ass and thought kat would lock it. they were actually asking kat to lock it.

I don’t think it was ever locked because I was calm. I didn’t get all berserk and start flaming people. I got that some people saw that as funny but I had the opportunity to air my side because it wasn’t locked.

While I think it’s stupid to sign up to a fan site forum just to flame them, we pay $20 a year. If you can word your grievance in a civilized way, I don’t see a problem.

Question:
    PJ seems to come to my area every two years. Is that now the case for all of the USA?

you feel that way.. but the people who have "the power" around here don't .. i mean as far as people questioning pearl jam i mean.. not for anything else.. thats why its confusing.. this place has always been pretty laid back and open in terms of freedom of speech so thats why i find it a bit weird i guess..
  • snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    one of the problems is we post on a board affiliated with the band through their own website.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    I guess I can’t say because I haven’t seen every thread before its block or deleted. So I can’t judge 10c.

It may not be the OP.
    The OP may state her/his problem just fine.
    Maybe why it’s locked is because people replying get nasty?
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*