Question about Ticketmaster

petecole333petecole333 Posts: 8
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Why don't they let fan club members buy tickets until there are no more tickets, or no more fan club members who want them?

Why do they only put a few (bad) seats out for the fan club and save the rest for the public? Do they have to do this, as in, are they required to sell a certain number or percentage to the general public? If not, then really why not just let Fan Club members all buy until everyone is satisfied or the entire venue is sold out? They'd make the same money selling to FC as they do selling to the Public, and being as all they care about is money, why not at least make the 'real' fans happy while they do it?

Open to any answers. But, particularly, I'd like to hear from someone who works for or with Ticketmaster, MSG, Pearl Jam, or simply has the real answer to this for some reason. Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Why don't they let fan club members buy tickets until there are no more tickets, or no more fan club members who want them?

Why do they only put a few (bad) seats out for the fan club and save the rest for the public? Do they have to do this, as in, are they required to sell a certain number or percentage to the general public? If not, then really why not just let Fan Club members all buy until everyone is satisfied or the entire venue is sold out? They'd make the same money selling to FC as they do selling to the Public, and being as all they care about is money, why not at least make the 'real' fans happy while they do it?

Open to any answers. But, particularly, I'd like to hear from someone who works for or with Ticketmaster, MSG, Pearl Jam, or simply has the real answer to this for some reason. Thanks.

Ticketmaster has agreements with venues that they are the exclusive seller of tickets for concerts (or whatever type of event the contract states).

The band is allowed 10% to 20% of the tickets for sale thru their fanclub. TM wants to get their cut.

I would hope one day PJ can play venues that allow them to sell tickets directly, but they are given a guaranty by the promoter to show up and play, which also means they have to play by rules that are not their own in order to get guaranteed that money up front.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    In short, TM sells the shit seats for presales. I'm right. Suck it.
  • Are you serious with this? You think only fan club members should be allowed to purchase tickets for concerts? And folks who maybe can't afford to pay member fees should only have the chance to go see a concert if the "fans" don't scoop up all the tickets??

How would you feel if you wanted to check out a band you've never seen before, but you're not allowed to go because you're not a fan club member?

Get serious, dude.
    All we know is there is a letter, a porch, people who don't wave, and something about a box or a bag.
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    Are you serious with this? You think only fan club members should be allowed to purchase tickets for concerts? And folks who maybe can't afford to pay member fees should only have the chance to go see a concert if the "fans" don't scoop up all the tickets??

How would you feel if you wanted to check out a band you've never seen before, but you're not allowed to go because you're not a fan club member?

Get serious, dude.
    Dude... he's PJ's biggest fan and he knows everything. Save your breath. :roll:
  • Well either the tickets will end up in the hands of someone who couldn't, or MUCH more likely, just didn't pay money to join the fan club. Or, the tickets will end up in the hands of someone who both liked the band enough to join, and DID pay money to join. Given these two options, then yes, I think the fan club member should get the tickets. Is that really so crazy?

Yes, it might result in a new or casual fan having to go to stubhub or ebay for their tickets, but isn't that more fair than the long time fan who DOES pay for the fan club having to pay extra to buy from scalpers?
  • applenutapplenut Posts: 67
    Well either the tickets will end up in the hands of someone who couldn't, or MUCH more likely, just didn't pay money to join the fan club. Or, the tickets will end up in the hands of someone who both liked the band enough to join, and DID pay money to join. Given these two options, then yes, I think the fan club member should get the tickets. Is that really so crazy?

Yes, it might result in a new or casual fan having to go to stubhub or ebay for their tickets, but isn't that more fair than the long time fan who DOES pay for the fan club having to pay extra to buy from scalpers?

No.

It's gotten to the point where you have to be a manic obsessive fan to even have a chance at getting tickets.... and it is ridiculous. The whole process is screwed and no, I don't think that just because you pay $20/year to Pearl Jam that you should be able to buy every single ticket in the house.

Pearl Jam is going through a difficult phase right now with its fan relationship.... the obsessive nature of its fanbase is in my opinion limiting the band's growth and popularity. Their limited touring schedule, fan club policies, ticket prices, and venue selections are not doing them any favors either. Instead, they seem perfectly content with putting on a few shows a year and letting the same obsessive fan base pay their bills.

Unfortunately Pearl Jam should be playing bigger venues and/or more shows in each city at the same or different venues. And really wish we would get past the point where you crazies think you have to go to every single damn show on the tour.

You really can't complain about ticket prices here when every one of you puts your fucking life saving's into this damn band because you feel the need to say on the internet i have seen Pearl Jam 54 times!