Scalpers and Drugs

DreamOfAngelsDreamOfAngels Posts: 829
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Not that it really matters but I thought I'd share what I was pondering this morning. After reading some of the postings in the "Pearl Jam and Weed" thread the other day... and the current postings for "let's kill the scalper"... it made me wonder... What would the world be like if we treated each other with respect day in and day out...

There has been so much angst among the PJ natives regarding the MSG shows and the ability to get tickets and then add salt to the wound over people selling the word on ebay. Some of the phrases used (re: the word) have tired to build up the idea that we are all in this together and should protect the ability of fellow 10c members to buy tickets in the presale....'scalpers are scum' because they want to make a profit vs. letting fellow members buy the tickets for face value as it should be... but during the 10c presale - wasn't it every man for himself in the scramble for tickets?

I'm curious - are the people that are bad-mouthing the scalpers the same people that are standing drunk on the chair in front of me swaying with their eyes closed during a PJ concert ready to fall off and knock me out but not caring if they do? Are these the same people that are smoking pot or something else inside the venue where it's not permitted and there are other fans that are pregnant, are children, or just don't want to breath the drugs at the show? Are these the same people that will "stub" their friends into their premium seats?

Maybe it doesn't matter ... but I just wonder if the people doing the name calling about scalpers today are the same ones that violate the comfort of fellow fans during the show or ... Why does it feel like the motto is to protect the fellow 10c members before the show but anything is fair game at a show? Maybe we just need some more positive threads out there...

FWIW - I'm not a scalper. I smoked cigs for 18 years (just quit 2 months ago when I had a stroke) and never smoked in a venue out of respect for the other people around me. I'm certainly not trying to be on any high-horse with these thoughts... but just think about it - Scalping is not illegal. Drugs and underage drinking are... Yet it is the scalpers that are the bad guys?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• scalping is illegal
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • Sometimes you gotta pick your battles. I understand what you're saying and you have a good point that's hard to argue. I guess it's kinda like you'll always side with the asshole in your family over the asshole off the street. For lack of a better term, and though it doesn't seem like it this week or sometimes at shows, we're kinda a big dysfunctional family here. Scalpers are the outsiders so to hell with them or something like that.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • In Ontario, the punishment for scalping is much worse than getting caught smoking a joint. Infact, most police officers won't even fine you for smoking a joint unless you're driving.
    2003: Toronto
    2004: Boston 1
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (1&2)
    2007: LOLLAPALOOZA
    2008: Mansfield (1& 2), EV Toronto
    2009:Toronto
    2010: Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011: EV Detroit, East Troy (1&2), Toronto (1&2) Hamilton
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Detroit
  • anyone know a good scalper?

I'm trying to get tickets to a show but none are left.

Thanks in advance!

:lol:
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    If you buy scalped tickets... you are part of the problem and have no reason to complain. The only reason why scalpers exist is because of the people who pay them.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • scalping is illegal
    Maybe in some places, but clearly there are places that allow people to sell tickets for more than face value and no one is going to jail. I recall in St. Louis, you couldn't sell tickets for more than face on the city block that was the grounds of Busch stadium.. so all the scalpers had to be on the other street corners... and there were plenty of them.
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    I'm curious - are the people that are bad-mouthing the scalpers the same people that are standing drunk on the chair in front of me swaying with their eyes closed during a PJ concert ready to fall off and knock me out but not caring if they do? Are these the same people that are smoking pot or something else inside the venue where it's not permitted and there are other fans that are pregnant, are children, or just don't want to breath the drugs at the show? Are these the same people that will "stub" their friends into their premium seats?

you got it.

Ed in LA 2009

"Last time I checked there was no law against losing YOUR SHIT at a rock n roll concert, at least not yet" :D
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    scalping is illegal
    Maybe in some places, but clearly there are places that allow people to sell tickets for more than face value and no one is going to jail. I recall in St. Louis, you couldn't sell tickets for more than face on the city block that was the grounds of Busch stadium.. so all the scalpers had to be on the other street corners... and there were plenty of them.
    Same thing here in Los Angeles... as long as they are across the street (usually where the parking lots are) they buy and re-sell tickets.
    I have gotten into many shows, including a Pearl Jam show at a small venue for free. I got into a Foo Fighters show at the same place... for the face value of 20 bucks. There were scalpers at both of those shows who made 300, 400 bucks off of fans. I try to tell people, but they usually don't listen.
    It really is up to the fans to revolt and refue to pay... but, they never will.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    Don't have much to add, other than to say it's nice to read something thought-provoking like this. I've always had an issue with smoking (of all varieties) indoors at shows, precisely because it is disrespectful of others, and because it makes me choke. But I never thought of it with relation to jackass scalpers. NIce post.
  • See your point, kinda, but scalping is illegal, just not as bad for you as drugs.
  • idreaminredidreaminred Posts: 314
    I was pregnant at a PJ show and I asked everybody around me to put the pot away. People were actually very accommodating about it. ;) Smart for them. Don't F with a pregnant woman.
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    problem solved.
  • kalusskaluss Posts: 38
    oh stop ur moaning and go have some fun....sex, drugs and rock and roll pal...that's the gig.
  • pjampjam Posts: 102
    Im a smoker of both kinds so I disagree. I try not to smoke anything if there are kids around. With both cigs and weed at a show I usually take a drag or two and put it out right away and try not to disturb the people around me. Im at 50 PJ shows and probably 150 shows total and have never had anyone ask me to put it out. I've been asked for a hit of weed many many times. So the way I see it is because of my bad habits I probably bother a few people at show here and there but eddie has a couple smokes on stage and Im in there for three hours so Im going to smoke up.

Now the scalpers, to me they are the scum of the earth. I hate them all. I drove 10 hours to toronto last year without a ticket and didnt get in because the scalpers were charging 300 for a lawn seat. Just the way they talked to people up in toronto was just amazing. Somehow I would love to rip off every scalper. Buy their tix with funny money or something. Scalping is just greedy assholes doing what they do.
    09/13/98+08/29/00+11/05/00+11/06/00+12/08/02+
    12/09/02+06/01/03+06/02/03+06/03/03+06/05/03+
    06/06/03+06/07/03+07/02/03+07/03/03+07/08/03+
    07/09/03+07/11/03+07/14/03+09/28/04+09/29/04+
    10/01/04+10/08/04+10/03/05+05/13/06+05/24/06+
    05/25/06+ As many more as possible
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    i have never driven over the speed limit, ever.
  • MortalityMortality Posts: 156
    Cosmo wrote:
    If you buy scalped tickets... you are part of the problem and have no reason to complain. The only reason why scalpers exist is because of the people who pay them.

The only reason anything exists is because people paid for it. Scalpers get what they deserve. I hate scalping as is, but if it was just legalized and price enforced it would work perfectly. Its little things like that which would make the world a better place.
  • pjam wrote:
    Im at 50 PJ shows and probably 150 shows total and have never had anyone ask me to put it out. I've been asked for a hit of weed many many times.
    One guy at a concert (about 30 mins before first act) shows up and says "do you guys mind if I smoke?" I responded with "yes, yes I do" and smiled. He said "really?". "Yes", I replied. So he left and went outside where smoking was permitted. :) I was so surprised! It didn't last though. He's also the one that was standing on the back of his chair later in the show that I mentioned when I started this thread :roll:

I'm one of those people that never asks someone to put it out because I fear being retaliated against in some way or expect they are just going to ignore me anyway. I was in high school, basketball sectionals... and this guy (senior) behind me was spitting Skoal on the bleacher floor - I turned and gave him the 16 year old female "Ugghh... how disgusting" look and when I turned back to the court - he spit his next spit down my back.... I always fear retaliation especially when you have no idea how "balanced" the person is. I like being alive :)

I'm not trying to discuss the rights/wrongs of drugs, speeding, or scalper acts.. its just interesting the psychology behind the inconsiderate behaviors of people and the hypocrisy sometimes. Not speaking directly to you pjam.. just a general response.