stub hub

shawndyershawndyer Posts: 269
edited April 2008 in The Porch
is this the safest way to get tickets im a little weary of ebay
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,936
    i would say youre fine with either one (as long as the ebay user has a high percentage).

i use ebay- i can find stuff a lot cheaper on there.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,530
    i believe stub hub and ebay are affiliated.
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,315
    I think I once read Ebay owns it so, choose your poison. That said, they have some kind of 100% satisfaction policy...not sure what that means if you are standing in front of MSG at 8:00 the night of the show with bogus tickets (i.e. does a refund compensate you for hauling ass across the country to get there). I used them on the EV tour and was pretty unimpressed with their service and attitude. The seller misrepresented having tickets "in hand". Waited until a few days before the show and then the wrong tickets arrived. They rape you on service fees and charged me $25 (!) to ship. Pricks. But the tix were legit when I finally got em'. If you hunt around the net, you can find some coupons to offset the service fees from time to time. BE PATIENT ON THIS TOUR. THERE ARE A TON OF TICKETS UP AND PRICES ARE MORE LIKELY TO DROP THAN RISE.
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,793
    stubhub is generally more expensive (they take a 15% commission so prices are higher), but you do get faster delivery and i've had no problems with them

ebay is a tossup. even if a person has a good rating, they can mess up mailing tickets or have other problems. i think every 4th or 5th ticket purchase i've done off ebay hasn't gone so smoothly.
  • Options
    Ebay, is cheaper... Just read people's feedback, you can learn alot through people's feedback. I only buy from people that have 100% when it comes to tickets and I have never had a problem. Also, private sellers (people that aren't power sellers) sometimes are willing to compromise their prices.
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, Continental II (NJ)
    2008: Camden I & II, DC, MSG I & II (NYC), & EV: NYC II
    2009: Spectrum last 2 nights
    2012: EV: Orlando I & II, Ft. Lauderdale I
    2013: Brooklyn I & II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale & Miami
  • Options
    JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 644
    I'm more comfortable if someone has 100% rating on Ebay then dealing with StubHub.

Firstly, I have found Ebay less expensive due to StubHub's commission and shipping fees.

Also, I had a bad experience with StubHub where I ordered Oriole/Yankee tickets early in the season for a late in the season game...and when they weren't delivered a couple of days before the game (I had checked a number of times and they kept saying not to check back until after the ship date), it wasn't in time for when I was leaving for the city where the game was and they tried to say I could pick them up (in Baltimore), but it wasn't somewhere that worked for my travel plans. And StubHub wasn't going to reimburse me, but finally the seller did. Just left a bad taste in my mouth...
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I am planning on buying Mariner tickets on Stub Hub this Friday. TM doesn't have the seats i want, and neither does Ebay.

Per Stub Hub, their commission is closer to 10%, not 15%.
  • Options
    butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    I thin ebay owns SH too. I have used them for sports tickets without a hitch. The downside is, of course, the price. But when you pay up, you should get good service.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    shawndyer wrote:

also twice or more expensive
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I am planning on buying Mariner tickets on Stub Hub this Friday. TM doesn't have the seats i want, and neither does Ebay.

Per Stub Hub, their commission is closer to 10%, not 15%.

They actually take 10% from you and 15% from the seller...great little business.
  • Options
    last two tours i got sweet tickets on eBay,11th row in '06 and 13th row for '08

both for "Boston"
  • Options
    mjb wrote:
    They actually take 10% from you and 15% from the seller...great little business.
    Ahh, ok. Not a bad racket, if I do say so myself.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Ahh, ok. Not a bad racket, if I do say so myself.

Not bad eh...considering they take no physical inventory of the tickets and also gauge you for $25 to ship the tickets (which also includes a nice little handling fee) - when you take all the extras into account Ebay is gonna be cheaper almost 100% of the time.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I used them a couple times for Springsteen when it was either do that or don't get to go, and I'll have to say they do go the extra mile if there's a problem. My initial tickets were lost and they did a *lot* to make sure I got new ones before I left my home. I know they have a guarantee that you'll get your tickets in time and they did live up to it.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    I've used Stub Hub twice. You're paying a shitload in fees and stuff, but I actually was impressed with the service.

One time I used them was for Cubs tickets. I bought four together. When the tickets came, they looked like they were not together.

I called Stubhub, they called the venue for me, called me back and assured me they were together. Wrigley just labels their seats strange.

So, I was impressed with that level of service.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    jlarson75jlarson75 Posts: 113
    I got my Santa Cruz EV tickets from stubhub. I ordered them on a Tuesday and they were at my door on Wednesday. That said, they did add a service charge- the tickets were 120 each (for about 15 rows back on the floor) and then they tacked about $20 each ticket as a commission.
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    I flew cross country rather nervously with two stub-hub purchased tickets to the EV solo shows.... and they worked.

I would say it should be fine :) They have an 800 number to call if your tix don't work, with a "guarantee"...

but like I said, I never had to use it.
  • Options
    shawndyer wrote:

they are safe just expensive
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    mjb wrote:
    Not bad eh...considering they take no physical inventory of the tickets and also gauge you for $25 to ship the tickets (which also includes a nice little handling fee) - when you take all the extras into account Ebay is gonna be cheaper almost 100% of the time.
    Yeah, but Stub Hub has the supply and demand factor. They have the tickets I want - eBay doesn't.
  • Options
    ninfanninfan Posts: 93
    I have used both with no problems. If you use ebay just choose someone with a good feedback.
    "No intelligent idea can gain general acceptance unless some stupidity is mixed in with it." Pessoa
  • Options
    I glanced as stubhub the other day. Is at auction thing or just pure organized scalping?
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.