Simple solutions to the ticket woes

swardsward Posts: 586
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Ok..so now that a couple days have passed and some chats with my IT staff here.. I am a bit more understanding of the issue facing 10C. In saying that...I think its more beneficial to offer some ideas rather than continue to complain about it.

For one..and I didn't totally understand this part until now....

Imagine trying to ram your fist through a button hole...pretty hard. That is what their server setup is facing. Its not that it can't handle the volume of ticket requests, it is that it can't handle the volume of connections in there making the request. We log into our accounts with 2 or 3 browsers and 2 or three tabs open on two or three computers..and well..the connections in there, and people adding tickets to their carts overwhelms the system. So..using that logic....Is there a way that the 10C system can only allow one login to a profile at one time. So..if you log in to your profile in one browser...you are unable to log into it on multiple. Wouldn't that alleviate the log jam?

The other idea has been bandied about often..and can work as well..though I don't always love the system..and that is..have the system only allow a set amount of connections at one time, and throw everyone else into a waiting room queue. Every 30 seconds the site refreshes and lets a block into the available slots. I don't love it..but at least I know what to expect and hopefully would not be dealing with 'page unavailable' all the time.

Anyway..these two ideas were bounced around with my IT staff here and they say that both could alleviate the issue everyone is facing. But also that they are saying that without seeing the 10C setup..and that isn't fair.

Any other good ideas out there?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    How about 10c charges more for their tickets and then the public tickets. The issue now is they can't get more tickets then 10-20% of the venue well if they offered to charge more and pay more to the venue/promoter - I guarantee they could get more tickets. But I'm sure the complaints will be even louder if 10c tickets were $10-20 more then public tickets.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• The best way would be to give a 2 day window for ticket orders.
    Everyone can order during this time period.
    When the demand is higher than the tickets available, there has to be a lottery.

With this system, everybody has the same chances.
    Because otherwise, fans who work and have no computer at work, are excluded.
    Plus, fans with a slow internet connection don't have a chance with the current system.

No one can complain that there are not enough tickets for some gigs.
    But the way they sell these should be a fair one for everybody.
  • tacettacet Posts: 323
    I am sure there are probably a few things the 10c could do better but in all seriousness, it's not like
    they go into a pre-sale saying how can we best screw our members.

I think it just comes down to supply and demand. period.

There were problems with MSG because the demand was greater than the supply.
    There were no problems with other markets because the opposite was true.

I don't think they want to invest the money it would take to implement changes that may or may not
    alleviate the issues when it only happens at tour time.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
  • What kind of money would the suggestion I mentioned before cost?
    Nothing, or nearly nothing.
    But it would avoid a lot of anger and frustration.

The ticket presale situation is a big problem for a lot of members, so they should try to solve it.
  • swardsward Posts: 586
    So you would find out after the 2 days if you got the tickets? Yeah...I like the idea of knowing right away..but hey..it is something that is feasible.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    I think its funny that in the 10club tour email they stressed how people SHOULD NOT open multiple browsers at once because it would cause a bottleneck effect. Glad to see people listened. Right now the 10club is saying "i told you so."
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,033
    First come first served is the only fair way to do it.. I have ZERO luck at lottery drawings.. I have spent hundreds of dollars at Wishlist preparties and have never won so much as a fricking sticker :| I mean, seriously.. Just accept things the way that they are.. I would think in the case of MSG or Philly or usually Boston. limiting members to one show per market during the first 24 hours of sale would be a possible solution. That way more people get into atleast one show. Then get public tickets for the other shows, or if they don't sell out in 24 hours you get a chance at the other show in your city..
    Considering I have always gotten tickets, I often wonder if there's a something different people are doing that makes sure that they don't get them. Anyway..I consider myself pretty lucky to not have been shut out. But feel for those that do. Hopefully they were able to get tickets through ticketmaster.
  • The best way would be to give a 2 day window for ticket orders.
    Everyone can order during this time period.
    When the demand is higher than the tickets available, there has to be a lottery.

With this system, everybody has the same chances.
    Because otherwise, fans who work and have no computer at work, are excluded.
    Plus, fans with a slow internet connection don't have a chance with the current system.

No one can complain that there are not enough tickets for some gigs.
    But the way they sell these should be a fair one for everybody.

Agreed. I'm sure I'm not the only one who burnt a sick day to buy tickets.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • why did they limit the LA shows to one show per member? probably because they knew the demand would outway the supply. it would make sense to do this for other shows when there are multiple dates for the same city like NY or Seattle.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    just play more shows. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • just tinajust tina Posts: 277
    sward wrote:
    Considering I have always gotten tickets, I often wonder if there's a something different people are doing that makes sure that they don't get them. Anyway..I consider myself pretty lucky to not have been shut out. But feel for those that do. Hopefully they were able to get tickets through ticketmaster.

there's a first time for everything. i have always been lucky too...never shut out, quick purchases, good seats, etc... until now :) and i did nothing different...
    just tina wrote:
    sward wrote:

there's a first time for everything. i have always been lucky too...never shut out, quick purchases, good seats, etc... until now :) and i did nothing different...

Yes..I'm always fearful of that first time!