Copy/Convert DVDs?

pearljamfan11pearljamfan11 Posts: 50
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I just recently bought a new computer and bought Roxio 2010 thinking I could copy DVDs or copy them to my computer (I'm a teacher and it's just easier to have them on my computer rather than keeping DVDs everywhere). Now I find out that I can't copy protected DVDs...which is pretty much every DVD I have! How can I get around this (legally if possible, though I'm not saying it's necessary)????? What do I need to download/buy? Any help would be fantastic!
He who forgets will be destined to remember.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 586
    What kind of computer is it? Mac or PC
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,978
    you've come to the right place. I can't help you, but someone will. ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • It's a PC...and yes, I know the PJ fans are always helpful!
  • StarfallStarfall Posts: 548
    I use DVD Shrink - it removes copy protection and rips DVDs to your HD so you can archive it or burn it to disc. If I want to rip the movie to iTunes, I also use a free program called Handbrake.

Note that my answer does not imply an endorsement of those products, nor any advice on the legality thereof in your country.
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    i use dvdfab. you can copy to psp's, ipod's, mobile phones....as well as your computer

you can copy certain chapters, leave out special features or commentarys....

http://www.dvdfab.com/
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    AnyDVD removes protection and CloneDVD will copy them for you, so I'm told...
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Starfall wrote:
    I use DVD Shrink - it removes copy protection and rips DVDs to your HD so you can archive it or burn it to disc. If I want to rip the movie to iTunes, I also use a free program called Handbrake.

Note that my answer does not imply an endorsement of those products, nor any advice on the legality thereof in your country.

Handbrake is the way to go for conversions. I use mactheripper (on a mac) to get whole dvd copies.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • i downloaded dvd shrink and handbreak and was unsuccessful with dvd that I tried it with, but didn't have a whole lot of time to play around with it. Maybe I'm not doing it right?!? Thanks for the help for those who offered though! I'll keep trying and I'll be listening (or I guess reading) any more tips anyone might have! :)
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,839
    Can't really help you with that, but i kinda got a similar problem/question.

I bought this program where you can transfer your VHS tapes to your computer. I installed it but for some reason I can't hook up the VCR to my computer. Any idea how this works? The orogram I bought is called Magix "Rescue your videotapes"
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC