nervous for a job interview in a couple of hours.....

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited March 2010 in The Porch
.....so I'm blasting Backspacer at maximum volume.

Is this an OK strategy?
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hail Hail might be better!
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378

Is this an OK strategy?

It's a nice day out in Shrewsbury, go enjoy the day before the interview. Good luck!
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,446
    Good luck with the job interview! :)

Backspacer blasting is cool. But I would go for Do The Evolution & Brain of J. ;)
  • Tully305Tully305 Posts: 103
    I'll give you the best piece of advice that my mentor gave me many years ago about job interviews.

When you walk through that door, you need to realize that you are there to interview them. You are going to provide them with your skills, talent, dedication and vast majority of your waking existence. Don't worry about their questions for you....what are YOUR questions for them?!!

Totally changed the way I interview. Good luck man!
    Pittsburgh ('00), Cleveland ('03), Pittsburgh ('03), Grand Rapids ('04), Cleveland ('06), Pittsburgh ('06), Chicago ('07), West Palm Beach ('08), Tampa ('08), Chicago (both nights) ('09), Seattle (both nights) ('09), Philly (all 4 nights) ('09), Noblesville ('10), Columbus ('10), Cleveland ('10), Toronto (both nights) ('11), Wrigley ('13), Pittsburgh ('13), Wrigley (both nights) ('18)
  • you should listen to Unemployable! That always lifts my spirits before these things. Of course I'm unemployed.
  • Drum Machine89Drum Machine89 Posts: 2,157

Is this an OK strategy?

Good Luck!!!! ;)
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,561
    Tully305 wrote:
    I'll give you the best piece of advice that my mentor gave me many years ago about job interviews.

When you walk through that door, you need to realize that you are there to interview them. You are going to provide them with your skills, talent, dedication and vast majority of your waking existence. Don't worry about their questions for you....what are YOUR questions for them?!!

reminds me of "step brothers" :lol:
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,949
    just don't start the interview by saying "I've only got a few minutes.....Pearl Jam tickets go on sale at 11:00" ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Good luck! Having an interview is a great step towards your perfect job!

P.S. This coming from a person who has been submitting resumes since August without a nibble :D
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • BrokenGlassBrokenGlass Posts: 298
    gndcd402 wrote:
    Tully305 wrote:

reminds me of "step brothers" :lol:

"Are you saying Panned?"
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    How'd you do?
  • Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books Posts: 2,672
    you should listen to Unemployable! That always lifts my spirits before these things. Of course I'm unemployed.

Maybe you should change your song..... Unemployable seems to be affecting you in a negative way. .... maybe that's the reason you haven't been able to find a J.O.B.....
    Maybe you should listen to "Down" now..... :):):D:D

Good Luck to the two of you guys!
  • as a recruiter myself, remember that most hiring managers aren't professional interviewers....they probably consider interviewing as much of a nerve-wracking pain-in-the-ass as you do. here are a few huge mistakes even highly accomplished professionals make in all industries that cost them offers:

1. failing to express a strong interest in the job - remember, your goal in the interview is to get an offer. even if you walk in and decide you hate the place, the boss, and could never work there, still go for the offer. it's good practice, and the nice thing about having an offer is, the power is in your hands to decide if you'll be moving forward in the process

2. failing to answer the ACTUAL question in a concise way listen carefully, and answer the questions as they are asked, give concise and specific examples of when you've successfully done whatever it is the question is referring to. In the event you don't have any applicable experience regarding the question, say "you know, that's one area into which I can't wait to expand, and that's one of the reasons I'm so excited about this opportunity." Of course, use your own wording.

3. not coming to the interview with well thought out questions for the hiring authority like somebody else said, you're there to interview them as much as they are there to interview you. don't be like a puppy chasing it's tail. have clear questions written down beforehand to ask about the company, the people, and the position.

those are the big three in my experience. of course, this is assuming you don't show up dressed like a dumbass and that you have the ability to carry a conversation with other human beings. if not, i can't help you.
  • oh, and as far as listening to songs to get in the right frame of mind, whatever works for you. something that gets your brain working without putting you in a tightly wound ball of nervousness. i'd go for something low key like "light years" - has that great message about seizing the day without being too high-energy.