Third Backspacer single? NEEDS TO BE A ROCKER!

vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 897
edited March 2010 in The Porch
It would be a shame if they didn't release another single......and a true ROCKER! I feel like many rock fans might feel that PJ went soft with the new album based solely by the singles they released.

They really should release Gonna See My Friend or Amongst The Waves to remind people that this is a Hard Rock Band that can still kill it!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    I think it will be Unthought Known
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,446
    Unthought Known
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Unthought Known or nothing.
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 897
    I think Unthought Known would be a huge hit......All of my non-PJ fans love that song and think Eddie's voice is incredible. I would love to see a single of Backspacer really gain some traction. This album is too good to die out.
  • Bearfan80Bearfan80 Posts: 221
    Amongst the Waves would be their best bet for a third single. I doubt they do it though.
    2000- Cincinnati, OH
    2006- Cincinnati, OH
    2008- Virginia Beach, VA
    2010- Columbus, OH
    2010- Noblesville, IN
    2010- Cleveland, OH
    2011- Detroit, MI (EV Solo Show)
    2013- Chicago
    2013- Pittsburgh
    2013- Buffalo
    2013- Charlottesville
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Love "Unthought Known" but "Amongst The Waves" is right up there too in terms of mass appeal and, frankly, a kickass single.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,824
    Its gotta be Unthought Known.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    I wish it would be Johnny Guitar so as to eliminate the newbie ballad lovers.
    I love to turn you on
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. :roll:
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

Johnny Guitar is my favorite off the new album! It is extremely original and has a modern punk rock vibe to it.

I really think PJ needs to drop the HAMMER on the next single though, something that lets all the real RAWKERS out there no that Pearl Jam hasn't gone SOFT......

1st Single - The Fixer was very Pop Rock
    2nd Single - Just Breathe was very soft Ballad
    3rd Single - Gonna See My Friends or Amongst The Waves would be killer!
  • pjfanmanpjfanman Posts: 84
    It is the third single according to hitsdailydouble. This was on their 'rumor mill' part of the site the other day:

JAMMING WITH JUDE: Pearl Jam’s Backspacer has rocketed back into the iTunes Top 10 and now holds the #7 position—while also being promo’d at the top of the store’s homepage—after the band performed current single “Unthought Known” on the Jude Law-hosted latest edition of SNL. Speaking of which… (3/15a)
    vedpunk wrote:

I really think PJ needs to drop the HAMMER on the next single though, something that lets all the real RAWKERS out there no that Pearl Jam hasn't gone SOFT......

Drop the hammer? With a song from BS? How??

There's nothing about this album that is heavy. Not the music or lyrics and the album as a whole has a very "light" vibe.

...and that's the big problem with the album. PJ is a rock band and they just totally don't do it here. Hell, there's not much that show me that even put much thought into it at all.
  • inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    I think it will be unthought known... my question is whether there's the slightest of chance they'd follow up unthought with amongst... which is a great summer song.

Has four ever been released?
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    DewieCox wrote:
    Unthought Known or nothing.
    +1..would be stupid if would be anything else..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Dewiecox - Maybe you should clear out your ears and lay off the Slayer because Gonna See My Friend is an absolute rocker and Backspacer is, by far, their GREATEST album since Yield.
  • Pretty sure they had 4 off of Ten and Vs. but haven't had that many since.
    How much difference does it make?
    vedpunk wrote:
    Dewiecox - Maybe you should clear out your ears and lay off the Slayer because Gonna See My Friend is an absolute rocker and Backspacer is, by far, their GREATEST album since Yield.

It's a semi rocker, I'll give you that much, but they've had too many great rockin tunes to call anything off the new one rocker.

The only hammer droppin BS does is b/c it's just too weak.

I can name 5 albums that are better since Yield.
  • mudhoney_253mudhoney_253 Posts: 135
    edited March 2010
    why do you think they played Unthought Known on SNL . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu-Vkj_mUQ4

it equals the next single!?!
    Post edited by mudhoney_253 on
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    DewieCox wrote:
    vedpunk wrote:

It's a semi rocker, I'll give you that much, but they've had too many great rockin tunes to call anything off the new one rocker.

Are you telling me that screaming "GEMS AND RHINESTONES" doesn't equal rock? lol
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965

for god sake's why??? you dont like that song? :o got nothing against unthought known but would love to hear JG as a single. it's alternative!!! :D
    I love to turn you on

for god sake's why??? you dont like that song? :o got nothing against unthought known but would love to hear JG as a single. it's alternative!!! :D

Alternative crap.

• pjsycopjsyco Posts: 646

LOVE me some Johnny Guitar. Can't get that song out of my head. I'd like to party with Johnny....and his womens 8-)
  • Bearfan80Bearfan80 Posts: 221

Not true, they played Got some on Conan's first show, and it was not a single.
    2000- Cincinnati, OH
    2006- Cincinnati, OH
    2008- Virginia Beach, VA
    2010- Columbus, OH
    2010- Noblesville, IN
    2010- Cleveland, OH
    2011- Detroit, MI (EV Solo Show)
    2013- Chicago
    2013- Pittsburgh
    2013- Buffalo
    2013- Charlottesville
  • Got some?

please
    For every tool they lend us, a loss of independence
    CC279770 wrote:

Completely different circumstance. That was 3/4 months before the album dropped. Maybe Got Some was the planned single at the time, maybe it was the only song that they'd really rehearsed much. They've really pushed for some success lately, so it'd be logical that they would play the next single. A surprise 3rd song woulda been the wild card, imo.
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    vedpunk wrote:

Are you telling me that screaming "GEMS AND RHINESTONES" doesn't equal rock? lol

On an Incubus album it would totally rock.
  • ten zten z Posts: 55
    Maybe the next single could have "Unthought Known" as the A-side and "Amongst the Waves" as the B-side. Though it would be nice if they released a new song as the B-side.
    PJ Shows I have attended:
    May 15, 2010 Hartford, CT 
    October 12, 2013 Buffalo, NY
    ten z wrote:
    Maybe the next single could have "Unthought Known" as the A-side and "Amongst the Waves" as the B-side. Though it would be nice if they released a new song as the B-side.
    +1 :)

• mudhoney_253mudhoney_253 Posts: 135
    edited March 2010
    CC279770 wrote:

I understand that, but I would be surprised if Unthought Known is not the next single this time around. Plus, Conan was a completely different situation. . . . months prior to the record release and wanting to keep the real first single under wraps.
    Post edited by mudhoney_253 on
  • 3rd single needs to be froma new album.