Thoughts On Best Telecaster Parts

Adam IAdam I Posts: 13
edited March 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm thinking of building a telecaster, and I was just your thoughts on the best wood to get and what pickups are best and just stuff like that.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• in_the_mudin_the_mud Posts: 494
    That was my plan for this winter but I didn't have time. For now I ended with used 2004 MIM TELE and I just changed pickups recently. Both pickups are from RIO GRANDE - DIRTY HARRY (P-90) neck & MUY GRANDE bridge. And let me tell you, they sound sweet, especially DIRTY HARRY. I really love it.
    RIO GRANDE - they're making great sounding pickups.
    Warsaw 96/11/01 ; Katowice 00/06/15, Katowice 00/06/16 ; Chicago 03/06/18 ; Chicago 06/05/16 ; Chicago 06/05/17 ; Chicago 07/08/05 ; Boston 08/06/30 ; Philadelphia 09/10/27 ; New York 10/05/20 ; New York 10/05/21 ; Alpine Valley 11/09/03 ; Alpine Valley 11/09/04 ; Wrigley Field 13/07/19 ; Pittsburgh 13/10/11 ; St.Louis 14/10/03
  • Adam IAdam I Posts: 13
    Awesome, thanks mate I'll definitely check them out.
  • ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    If possible, try to avoid the 3 saddle vintage bridge because it can be a real pain setting this thing up properly. Go for a 6 saddle bridge instead.
    Ok, I'll keep an eye for that. Any ideas on what the best sort of wood for the body would be.
    Traditionally alder or ash. Ash was used for the early models and is still used for some of the 50s vintage models. Most later models have alder bodies. Depends on what you want it to sound like. An alternative might be a mahogany body.
    I wanted it to sound like: pj, the who, foo fighter, so like sort of rock a bit of grunge.
  • Lindy Fralin makes some sweet pick ups also..

Wood type is a matter of preference better the wood = better sustain ect...

everything else you can find on ebay ect.. just depends if you want to do it up vintage and how much $ you wanna spend.

Have fun with it!!
    Makes much more sense.................
    To Live......................
    In the present tense.
    Thanks, I was planning on spending maximum $1300 and i think i am going to go with the vintage parts.
    Well, if you want a pretty common tele sound you might be best off with an alder body. Might be a little more versatile than ash too.
  • shoot for an ash body and put a set on Duncan Antiquity's in her...you'll be happy....but I prefer the brass barrel saddles, noth the 6 stainless .but that's just me
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
    Ok, Thanks a lot guys. :D