The irony of it all (or, defending the whiners)

BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,363
edited March 2010 in The Porch
There is so much irony in the various posts reflexively defending the band and the Ten Club against the numerous criticisms raised on Wednesday and attacking those airing their concerns. First, some of the same people who have dismissed the complaints of other posters by telling them that no one is forcing them to be in the fan club or buy tickets to the show are complaining themselves that they are sick of reading the posts of "whiners." These folks should apply their own logic and consider that no one is forcing them to read the offending posts, which are generally clearly identifiable as complaints and easy to skip.

Second, several posters have dismissed others' complaints by calling for perspective, noting that there are bigger problems in the world. However, no one is calling for an investigation by Congress into these matters. No one is calling for a preemptive invasion of P.O. Box 4570. People are raising their concerns in an entirely appropriate manner-- by posting on the message board where the complaints will be read by people who can address the problems. Registering complaints on this board is not keeping us from achieving peace in the Middle East, rebuilding Haiti or lowering health-care costs.

The bottom line is that the various complaints have been perfectly legitimate, especially given the tremendous amount of aggravation experienced by many fans of the band while trying to purchase tickets today. (I spent five hours today unsuccessfully attempting to procure tickets to the New York shows. This was extremely frustrating. It was not the first time this ticketing system has been used, so problems could have been anticipated. Simply put, there has to be a better way to handle this.)

Ticket prices are expensive, and times are tough for a lot of people. The band has been vocal about keeping prices down, and about unexplained fees. It is a valid criticism to point out this tension. It is remarkable the extent to which some people twist themselves into pretzels by reflexively defending the band and the Ten Club against constructive criticism with logical fallacies and straw men (e.g., "the band has a right to make as much money as it wants"-- no one is arguing that the band doesn't have the ability to charge what it wishes, but posters have a right to criticize the band if they feel it is being greedy or hypocritical).

Having said all that, now can't we all just get along. And if anyone has an extra for the two New York shows, I need. :)

BF25394
Member No. 163xxx
I gather speed from you fucking with me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,363
    Wow, no replies. I guess I have brought peace to the message board. Now for the Middle East... :)
  • just tinajust tina Posts: 277
    :)
  • I thought of this irony yesterday too. Pearl Jam and PJ fans can question authority and be all punk rock or whatever (I guess when we were teenagers), but if you question the Ten Club you become a terrorist.
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    edited March 2010
    I thought of this irony yesterday too. Pearl Jam and PJ fans can question authority and be all punk rock or whatever (I guess when we were teenagers), but if you question the Ten Club you become a terrorist.

Agreed. Eddie will take 10 minutes in a show that we paid good money for to bitch and moan about stuff we really can't control or the West Memphis 3 or high beer prices at the venue or Tom Tomorrow's job but god forbid we question him and the bands motives.
    Post edited by hopethatuchoke on
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    "This is good, this is open, honest debate, and that's what it should be. If you keep this back and forth ... good things will happen. If you don't say anything, you don't know what will happen. Cause we are on a brink of forever. And if we don't participate on where this thing is going, when where we are the number one super power in the world, you want to have a part in it and make sure it is a good thing, yeah? Plus or minus, be active. This is a good thing."

Excellent post, OP. Excellent post. Eddie would be proud.
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,561
    jamburger wrote:
    "This is good, this is open, honest debate, and that's what it should be. If you keep this back and forth ... good things will happen. If you don't say anything, you don't know what will happen. Cause we are on a brink of forever. And if we don't participate on where this thing is going, when where we are the number one super power in the world, you want to have a part in it and make sure it is a good thing, yeah? Plus or minus, be active. This is a good thing."

Excellent post, OP. Excellent post. Eddie would be proud.
    uniondale 03 :thumbup:
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,678
    I am fine with the system. It could be much worse. The OP has a good post and I could deal with that... I dont consider that whining. But people saying they are being ripped off by the 10c, they have been insulted by the band and the club, they are going to "pull what PJ did to ticketmaster" on the 10c reek of too much drama.

I could see the debate and disappointment with it, but flying off the deep end like people are doing classifies as whining and you have to think if this causes that much anguish, ones priorities should be reassessed.
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    The truth of the matter is that there's a limited amount of presale tickets A LOT of people will be shut down anyway, no matter if the ten club buys the most high yech severs or if they hire 1000 people to handle the sale, the same goes to any limited edition item, I've been shut down in the past and I was shut down this time again but the 10C can't guarantee tickets to every single member.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    arq wrote:
    The truth of the matter is that there's a limited amount of presale tickets A LOT of people will be shut down anyway, no matter if the ten club buys the most high yech severs or if they hire 1000 people to handle the sale, the same goes to any limited edition item, I've been shut down in the past and I was shut down this time again but the 10C can't guarantee tickets to every single member.
    again its not being shut out, everyone is very much prepared for that,its 5-6 hours of tryin to get the MSG shows that people are upset about.
  • arq wrote:

True. But you can make the shut down process quick and painless or slow and agonizing. Even if you get tickets, the process is slow and agonizing.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I thought of this irony yesterday too. Pearl Jam and PJ fans can question authority and be all punk rock or whatever (I guess when we were teenagers), but if you question the Ten Club you become a terrorist.

Agreed. Eddie will take 10 minutes in a show that we paid good money for to bitch and moan about stuff we really can't or the Wst Memphis 3 or high beer prices at the venue or Tom Tomorrow's job but god forbid we question him and the bands motives.

great post that man! :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • To many people using multiple computers = bottle neck

What did the 10C say . . .

• DO NOT LOGIN USING MULTIPLE COMPUTERS!!!!! This creates a bottle neck of web traffic which can result in site failure and loss of ticket order. We can not stress this one enough.

We can not stress this one enough. We can not stress this one enough. We can not stress this one enough.

People who got shut out should be mad at people like "ssdr18".

"two computers up and 3 browsers"

Sad fact . . . . a lot of 10C members logon using multiple computers . . . .

Their are also a lot of 10C members that are scam artists . . . multiple memberships (brother, sister, uncle, etc) . . . having 10C tickets to a show but trying upgrade their location by saying they don't have 10C tickets. There is a group of gals that always find some willing partner to split a pair of 10C tickets in a better location than their own 10C seats. I just have to laugh at these people . . . pathetic.

I know a 10C member in Florida that works in an IT department and uses his staff to run 6 computers with 3 memberships (himself, mom, and brother) to buy tickets to NYC shows.

There is a segment of 10C members that are kind of slimy.
  • I thought of this irony yesterday too. Pearl Jam and PJ fans can question authority and be all punk rock or whatever (I guess when we were teenagers), but if you question the Ten Club you become a terrorist.

LOL . . . a terrorist . . . Really! LOL

Please . . . a little dramatic don't you think? A terrorist . . . LOL LOL LOL
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    To many people using multiple computers = bottle neck

• DO NOT LOGIN USING MULTIPLE COMPUTERS!!!!! This creates a bottle neck of web traffic which can result in site failure and loss of ticket order. We can not stress this one enough.

We can not stress this one enough. We can not stress this one enough. We can not stress this one enough.

Their are also a lot of 10C members that are scam artists . . . multiple memberships (brother, sister, uncle, etc) . . . having 10C tickets to a show but trying upgrade their location by saying they don't have 10C tickets. There is a group of gals that always find some willing partner to split a pair of 10C tickets in a better location than their own 10C seats. I just have to laugh at these people . . . pathetic.

I know a 10C member in Florida that works in an IT department and uses his staff to run 6 computers with 3 memberships (himself, mom, and brother) to buy tickets to NYC shows.

thats really shitty- bad karma to them then

Yeah, it was a joke...
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I used to post quite a lot...I think I lost sight of things.

I liked the old system of one pair of tickets to a single show. Others didn't as they liked to travel to multiple shows. The system changed.

I liked mailing in my order via the US Mail. Others embraced technology and online ticketing emerged. The system changed.

I used to worry about getting tickets to a show 4 hours away from me. I now will wait until the band comes closer to where I live. I've changed.

The irony is that it is evolution baby.

Take it or leave it. ;):D

Cheers,
    PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org

Yeah, it was a joke...

Using some sarcasm to stress your point
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 740
    Great post.

I guess I will just never understand this sense of entitlement that some people have. Its like they think the band or someone owes them something. Life if full of dissappointment and frustration. This isn't a conspiracy.

For some people whining/moaning must be their therapy.

I always thought this "sense of entitlement" was what this band was not about.

Then here I am complaining about complainers.
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    True. But you can make the shut down process quick and painless or slow and agonizing. Even if you get tickets, the process is slow and agonizing.

agreed it should be quick, but is going to he painful anyway :P
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • This conversation is going in circles. I don't think the bulk of the frustration is over entitlement for tickets. I think everyone can do math and realize there are more people who want tickets than tickets that are available.

I think the bulk of the frustration is over a buying process that is not very efficient. Like I wrote last night, the MSG 2 show was in such high demand that it rendered the website useless almost from go. Then, the concert was temporarily out of stock for 3 1/2 hours, only to have the occasional ticket available to folks. That is just nonsense. I refuse to believe there isn't a better way to do that. Not to mention, the ridiculous amount of computer crashes, timeouts, etc.

If a concert sells out, so be it. What is frustrating, in 2010, that purchasing a product on the internet devolved so quickly into Lord of the Flies. That is what the Ten Club should be called to task on. I know they are doing us a "solid" by reserving ticket for fan club folks...but, remember we are still paying a pretty penny for these tickets and we pay for the right to get these in advance, whether or not we actual buy them. So, to me, this is the same arrange as any other purchase I make. It is only reasonable to expect that the transactions are handled in a modern and professional way. No one could have tried to buy tickets yesterday and felt that it was a good experience. Hell, I got tickets to Boston and MSG 2 and I spent the whole night fuming over how frustrating the process was with crashed computers and the like.
  • GirlInRedGirlInRed Posts: 166
    To many people using multiple computers = bottle neck

I know a guy who is always front & center at every show. He told me he bought someone else's 10C # for about $1000...king slimy. I'm quite sure Eddie & co. are sick of looking at his face every NY area show!!
    there once was a note...LISTEN !
  • GirlInRedGirlInRed Posts: 166
    BF25394 wrote:
    There is so much irony in the various posts reflexively defending the band and the Ten Club against the numerous criticisms raised on Wednesday and attacking those airing their concerns. First, some of the same people who have dismissed the complaints of other posters by telling them that no one is forcing them to be in the fan club or buy tickets to the show are complaining themselves that they are sick of reading the posts of "whiners." These folks should apply their own logic and consider that no one is forcing them to read the offending posts, which are generally clearly identifiable as complaints and easy to skip.

Second, several posters have dismissed others' complaints by calling for perspective, noting that there are bigger problems in the world. However, no one is calling for an investigation by Congress into these matters. No one is calling for a preemptive invasion of P.O. Box 4570. People are raising their concerns in an entirely appropriate manner-- by posting on the message board where the complaints will be read by people who can address the problems. Registering complaints on this board is not keeping us from achieving peace in the Middle East, rebuilding Haiti or lowering health-care costs.

The bottom line is that the various complaints have been perfectly legitimate, especially given the tremendous amount of aggravation experienced by many fans of the band while trying to purchase tickets today. (I spent five hours today unsuccessfully attempting to procure tickets to the New York shows. This was extremely frustrating. It was not the first time this ticketing system has been used, so problems could have been anticipated. Simply put, there has to be a better way to handle this.)

Ticket prices are expensive, and times are tough for a lot of people. The band has been vocal about keeping prices down, and about unexplained fees. It is a valid criticism to point out this tension. It is remarkable the extent to which some people twist themselves into pretzels by reflexively defending the band and the Ten Club against constructive criticism with logical fallacies and straw men (e.g., "the band has a right to make as much money as it wants"-- no one is arguing that the band doesn't have the ability to charge what it wishes, but posters have a right to criticize the band if they feel it is being greedy or hypocritical).

Having said all that, now can't we all just get along. And if anyone has an extra for the two New York shows, I need. :)

BF25394
    Member No. 163xxx
    Finally some reasoning:)
    there once was a note...LISTEN !
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    GirlInRed wrote:
    He told me he bought someone else's 10C # for about $1000

I would gladly sell my number for charity.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    It is only reasonable to expect that the transactions are handled in a modern and professional way. No one could have tried to buy tickets yesterday and felt that it was a good experience. Hell, I got tickets to Boston and MSG 2 and I spent the whole night fuming over how frustrating the process was with crashed computers and the like.

I guess I'm used to it. Its stressful but that's the way it is. Its still indoors out of the elements, instead of in a line on a concrete sidewalk overnight with rain or sunburn during the day. Its different than the average transaction because honestly it is somewhat of a feeding frenzy. There's just way more people that want the item, than the number of items. It was somewhat like this for the NIN farewell shows last year, on the NIN website. I just don't see how it can be any different, given the scarcity of the item and the magnitude of desire for it.

I remember being rather pissed about Borgata in 05, but that was a public onsale and it appeared that scalpers bagged a lot of tickets right at the minute they went up. At least here most people who get them are fellow ten club members.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • slingsling Posts: 169
    I wasn't trying to get tickets yesterday, but feel very sorry for those on the computers for 6 hours with no tickets. Is it going to be a 12 hour wait to find out if you get tickets for the 20th anniversary show?! If you add up what you get paid hourly by that, it would most likely be quite a bit cheaper and less aggravating for most to go through a scalper instead.

It just doesn't make good business sense for them not to fix the problem. For those like me with 10c numbers in the stratosphere anyway, it just wouldn't make sense to renew instead of going through a scalper... I would still stick around to be able to be on the forum, but there are others with more of a life than me who I'm sure wouldn't... :)
    JaneNY wrote:
    It is only reasonable to expect that the transactions are handled in a modern and professional way. No one could have tried to buy tickets yesterday and felt that it was a good experience. Hell, I got tickets to Boston and MSG 2 and I spent the whole night fuming over how frustrating the process was with crashed computers and the like.

I guess I'm used to it. Its stressful but that's the way it is. Its still indoors out of the elements, instead of in a line on a concrete sidewalk overnight with rain or sunburn during the day. Its different than the average transaction because honestly it is somewhat of a feeding frenzy. There's just way more people that want the item, than the number of items. It was somewhat like this for the NIN farewell shows last year, on the NIN website. I just don't see how it can be any different, given the scarcity of the item and the magnitude of desire for it.

I remember being rather pissed about Borgata in 05, but that was a public onsale and it appeared that scalpers bagged a lot of tickets right at the minute they went up. At least here most people who get them are fellow ten club members.

They used to do it by U.S. mail. It's a fair and user-friendly way to do things. I realize that, given the short time window between announcement and show dates for these shows, it might not have worked in this instance.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    BF25394 wrote:
    They used to do it by U.S. mail. It's a fair and user-friendly way to do things. I realize that, given the short time window between announcement and show dates for these shows, it might not have worked in this instance.

I do remember that. I remember sending in my ticket order via overnight in 03 in the hopes that it would get there in time to be in! You had to write out just so, on 3x5 cards, with the show, and you had to send in money orders. Maybe its just too labor intensive now? :?
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    I remember a form that they sent listing the dates, and you checked off the shows you wanted. I can't remember if this was for the 2000 tour or the 1998 tour.
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,634
    I have no problems with complaints, as long as they are presented in a respectful manner. Open communication between two or more people is the best way to resolving the problem and moving forward.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2