Is it always like this?!

ms. goldenwordsms. goldenwords Posts: 387
edited March 2010 in The Porch
So, I'm a newbie (tenclub member - LOOOOOOOONG time fan), and this is the first presale I've attempted. Is it always like this? I cannot even open the Goods page at this point ... my husband tried at 3pm and MSG 2 wasn't even listed ... is it always this hellish? I joined 10club to help get good tickets and avoid ticket master hell ... but right about now, ticket master looks pretty good. I'm not trying to join the club of bitchers here - I think what tenclub does is great, and if this is how it is, it's just how it is, and it's up to me to rethink the whole membership thing. But I'm actually asking you vets: is the presale always like this (this impossible, that is)?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I never remember it being this bad. Never. Even in the height of popularity, it was never this shitty and chaotic.
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    So, I'm a newbie (tenclub member - LOOOOOOOONG time fan), and this is the first presale I've attempted. Is it always like this? I cannot even open the Goods page at this point ... my husband tried at 3pm and MSG 2 wasn't even listed ... is it always this hellish? I joined 10club to help get good tickets and avoid ticket master hell ... but right about now, ticket master looks pretty good. I'm not trying to join the club of bitchers here - I think what tenclub does is great, and if this is how it is, it's just how it is, and it's up to me to rethink the whole membership thing. But I'm actually asking you vets: is the presale always like this (this impossible, that is)?

It's usually pretty brutal for the high demand shows. The first 2 Philly shows were like this last year. The NY shows are almost always like this. So unless you are going for lower demand shows, yeah it is usually like this.
  • Thanks for actually answering - I thought I'd be called a bitcher/moaner :)

OMIGOD - I'm SOOOO STUPID!! I just realized the PDT next to the time!! So MSG 2 JUST went on sale?! not at 3pm. Holy smokes... wish me luck folks.... rookie mistake I guess.
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    It is generally like this for the popular shows. MSG is a popular venue...and these shows are the last two on the US leg before the guys head to Europe...so that makes them even more popular.

Getting tickets through the 1oc takes patience and an understanding of how the process and website work...and some of it is just plain luck. I bought both MSG shows using the 3G service on my iPhone...which is slower than my home internet connection, but it worked...so I went with what worked and got tickets.

I hope you get your tickets...if you don't there are ALWAYS extras (except for the Vic).

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Thanks DarkStar! I'm still refreshing, and i actually got a page that resembles the pj home page and doesn't look look all-old-school-beta-like, but I'm still only getting "temporarily out of stock." I want to see this infamous buy button dammit!! :) i'm still trying ... i will not stop until i see "sold out"!

So I have a very important question: what time did MSG2 actually go on sale in ny? 6pm?

oh man, i hope i can get hartford tickets at least ....
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Yeah its usually like this. Most people collapse afterward.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,678
    high demand shows turn into this. Dont be too discouraged. Pay attention to people's tips (when they are being serious). Its pretty easy to get high demand shows if you know a few tips and are patient.

Personally, I have batted 1.000 and I think its a little more than luck.
  • HA! I can see why! Every time the page loads my heart starts beating, and then i see that "temporarily out of stock" and i want to cry, and refresh ... over and over ... it's an emotional roller coaster :lol: oh how lame i feel! i love this band way too much.
  • tips?! please share! i will certainly start combing through the posts now ! :lol:
  • melva02melva02 Posts: 298
    So I have a very important question: what time did MSG2 actually go on sale in ny? 6pm?

I saw the tickets page with no link to MSG 2 yet sometime after 6...maybe 6:03? I saw someone else say they bought them by 6:05 though.

I'm pretty sure MSG 1 was posted around 3:06, that's when I saw the link and I was able to add it to my cart right away which makes me think that was the time they first came on sale and there were tons available to whoever clicked fast enough.

If you don't get them right away like that, the chances are much slimmer but it's a matter of persistence. Right now neither night at MSG appears to be sold out, and I'm surprised there are still so many people on here (based on % of refreshes that are server timeouts vs. actually loading the temp out of stock page). I know in my head that I've spent almost as much time trying to get tickets to night 2 as the band will spend playing songs on night 2, but I just haven't made the decision to walk away yet.

Melissa
    edited March 2010
    I paid attention to what went on for the Boston sale. Out of respect, you should never "practice" on someone's sale, but you can look at the posts and see the quirks that are happening.

In today's case, it seems that people were getting booted after trying to hit the buy button. Eventually they would get back in and tickets would still be in the cart. The whole game is trying to check out. As long as you kept attempting, your tix would remain in the cart.

Getting the Buy button is the first issue.

You need to get going at least 20 minutes before the sale. Clear your internet cookies and temp files, etc. Sign into the 10c goods section. People claim chrome and firefox work better, but I am comfy with explorer and its never failed me.
    Start trying to refresh and get the tix a few minutes before they are scheduled to hit.

I have heard it advised against, but I use a few tabs.

Refresh, refresh, refresh.

Temporarily out of stock means keep trying until you see buy.

If the order is in your history, its official.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • StrykerStryker Posts: 585
    Yes, it's always this bad.
  • melva02 wrote:

I saw the tickets page with no link to MSG 2 yet sometime after 6...maybe 6:03? I saw someone else say they bought them by 6:05 though.

I'm pretty sure MSG 1 was posted around 3:06, that's when I saw the link and I was able to add it to my cart right away which makes me think that was the time they first came on sale and there were tons available to whoever clicked fast enough.

If you don't get them right away like that, the chances are much slimmer but it's a matter of persistence. Right now neither night at MSG appears to be sold out, and I'm surprised there are still so many people on here (based on % of refreshes that are server timeouts vs. actually loading the temp out of stock page). I know in my head that I've spent almost as much time trying to get tickets to night 2 as the band will spend playing songs on night 2, but I just haven't made the decision to walk away yet.

Melissa

I hear ya Melissa, I can't imagine that MSG 2 is NOT sold out ... but i need to see the actual words to give up completely. I can't go to the first night, because of work obligations, so I haven't been at it all that long. Still getting the temp out of stock. I'm supposed to keep refreshing right? This is killer :lol: glad to know that sometimes persistence pays.
  • philly, boston, and new york are just always off-the-chart insanely in-demand. if you can make it to a smaller market, you'll always have an easier time getting tickets and better seats than you would in a larger market. i went to seattle from nyc and got much better seats out there than i will at the garden unless i win the lottery. just something you have to deal with when you live in the northeast and want to use your membership for "local" shows.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • THANK YOU MAYDAY!! I'll be trying them all, it's an official challenge for me now. I will do whatever i can to be better prepped tomorrow (and will start by logging in at the right time ... :oops: ). I can only go to two shows (hartford and msg2) so i'm determined to make at least one presale work for me, and although msg2 is still "temp out of stock" my hopes are diminishing :|
    MayDay10 wrote:
    If you are skilled you can guess the URL of the ticket sale and that skips a step (crucial). Start trying to refresh and get the tix a few minutes before they are scheduled to hit.

This will get your tickets taken away. But pay attention to all URLs you see because depending where you are in the process, you may need them.

Once you know the link to the tickets (again, best to click it at least once from the ticket landing page of the goods section), refresh that link, NOT the goods page or the tickets section. e.g. MSG 2 is https://secure.pearljam.com/store/produ ... g?sku=7323 which you should be refreshing in another tab as we all sit here chatting.

Some people like to wait until 6:00:04 (6 o'clock and 4 seconds) to refresh the tickets page because that seems to be when TM puts theirs up. Personally I start refreshing the tickets page (which I loaded at 5:30 after logging in) at 5:59.

If you get the buy button, obviously click it. If you get a server timeout, it's possible it went through. You can use the checkout link in another tab to find out whether you got them. The link is https://secure.pearljam.com/store/check ... g?_target0 and of course it's available by clicking the checkout button, but you don't want to be waiting for a new goods page to load for you to see the checkout button, so you should know that link in advance. If you have the good luck to get through to the server, you want it to be loading the page you want, not the page that links to the page you want. If your cart is empty it will tell you you can't check out with an empty cart.

If the buy button didn't work, and you got a server timeout, click the try again button (in Firefox) or refresh the page. At that point the link corresponding to the "buy" button might be in your browser but that link is useless unless you actually clicked the button first, so you don't need to know it, just refresh it if you see it.

If you get the "you ripped our face off" page, whatever you do, do NOT click the try again link on that page. It will take you to either the main goods page or just pearljam.com (depending where you were when you got sent to the ripped your face off page).

If the page for the show I want is reloading really fast, then I put one finger on F5 (refresh) and one on the mouse button, which I have pointing to the Temporarily Out of Stock text. The trick in this case is paying attention so you click the buy button if you see it rather than accidentally refreshing again. :-) Also, on my computer the cursor doesn't "know" the buy button is there unless I'm moving the mouse over it (i.e. it doesn't change from the I-shaped text cursor to the pointer finger), so I jiggle the mouse a little while I'm refreshing.

If the page for the show I want is reloading really slow and timing out, then I load it in two tabs, plus a third with the checkout link ready and a fourth with the message pit. It's encouraging to see people saying they got in. But for the first 15 minutes I focus all my attention on refreshing the ticket landing page and then the ticket link after it comes up, because that's your best chance of getting in.

I have never seen anyone specify whether the tickets go to permanently sold out automatically or by human intervention. If human intervention, we might all be sitting here till tomorrow morning. So I think I'm going to cut my losses and go to a $5 show where I can just walk in. Have a good night!

Melissa
    ah yeah, I was just reading the thread on the SKU-guessing. I never knew about that before and thought it is genious. Didnt know you can get your tickets taken away until I read further on in the thread. Guess Im not gonna try that out.
  • Wow. Thanks Melissa! I've read your post like 5 times now :lol: I feel like I'm going through presale bootcamp. I'll be way better prepared tomorrow.

I'm getting all sorts of different refreshed screens and timed-out screens ... ctrl+R all day (or night) :P
    MayDay10 wrote:
    ah yeah, I was just reading the thread on the SKU-guessing. I never knew about that before and thought it is genious. Didnt know you can get your tickets taken away until I read further on in the thread. Guess Im not gonna try that out.

Well props to you for giving good tips to the OP instead of just saying "oh if you know how to do it you can get them" like some others. :-)

And you're welcome Ms. GW. Also btw I like Firefox, I hate IE. See you at MSG. ;-)
  • Laura in NJLaura in NJ Posts: 176
    Well, it's been three hours and ten minutes. I have a life to get back to. I knew I shouldn't have sent my renewal $ yesterday.

Have fun, kids, and good luck to those who hang in!!
    Laura in NJ
    4-17-1994 Paramount Theater, NYC
    6-20-1995 Red Rocks (Sponsored By No One tour)
    6-23-1998 Fiddler’s Green, CO
    7-09-2003 MSG NYC
    9-28-2004 Fleet Center, Boston (Vote For Change warmup)
    6-01-2006 & 6-03-2006 E. Rutherford, NJ
    6-25-2008 MSG NYC * 7-07-2008 EV NJPAC
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    Yeah, like Dark Star wrote, for some reason the popular venues seem to get pretty tight on tickets.
    Me batt-riees are going (thats my attempt at a kiwi accent, sorry) so I'll have to take off soon as well..

Good luck dudes!
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    JaneNY wrote:

or have a couple beers afterwards.

yes 10c tix buying drives me to drink. ;)

QUESTION:
    does it make any difference to have your credit card info stored in your account before you buy?
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    in a word?
    YES.
    if it's boston, NY or philly. the NE gets a lot of shows...but they are killer tix to try to score!
    10c takes years off my life each and every presale. :lol: happily i accept it as long as i keep getting tix. *knocks wood* buying for the gorge/canada in 05...italy in 06.....europe in 07......NOTHING like any of the boston/philly/NYC vicinity tix-buying experiences.... :?

JaneNY wrote:

or have a couple beers afterwards.

yes 10c tix buying drives me to drink. ;)

QUESTION:
    does it make any difference to have your credit card info stored in your account before you buy?

there's no way to store the info on the 10c site. however, i usually type out my cc # in another program and then just copy/paste. saves seconds, i think it helps. trying various tabs/browsers helps as well...or at least keeps me busy refreshing. :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• SprockeTeeSprockeTee Posts: 108
    JaneNY wrote:

Ditto.

I get real nervous & frantic and then when its time to click & wait I get crazy. And finally after an hour of repeated trying, I finally got tix and I ran around screaming like I won the damn lottery. Waaaayyy to stressful. It seems like every presale I've tried since the beginning of the internet presales have been like this.
  • SprockeTeeSprockeTee Posts: 108
    in a word?
    i usually type out my cc # in another program and then just copy/paste. saves seconds, i think it helps. trying various tabs/browsers helps as well...or at least keeps me busy refreshing. :lol:

i'm a copy/paste too - any extra second can help with this whole forsaken process.
  • jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    SprockeTee wrote:
    JaneNY wrote:

Ditto.

I get real nervous & frantic and then when its time to click & wait I get crazy. And finally after an hour of repeated trying, I finally got tix and I ran around screaming like I won the damn lottery. Waaaayyy to stressful. It seems like every presale I've tried since the beginning of the internet presales have been like this.
    s

i felt like puking all day today...fuckin msg presales always gives me ulcers
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    there's no way to store the info on the 10c site. however, i usually type out my cc # in another program and then just copy/paste. saves seconds, i think it helps. trying various tabs/browsers helps as well...or at least keeps me busy refreshing. :lol:

thanks
    now it's all coming back to me. i've done that before. thanks for reminding me.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• yes...if you want to get into a major market show....yes
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."