Is driving from Chicago to KC to StL back to Chicago crazy?

simmers33simmers33 Posts: 228
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Would this be really crazy to do? To drive 8 hours to KC, SEE PEARL JAM :D , stay in a hotel in KC, drive 4 hours to St Louis, SEE PEARL JAM :D:D , then drive home to Chicago that night? Is it crazy to think this might be a good idea? Please advise my fellow travelers!
Good evening...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    That's what I'm leaning towards, so no, it cant be crazy!
  • Alpine BoundAlpine Bound Posts: 1,809
    edited March 2010
    I'm taking the Megabus from Chicago to KC to Stl back to Chicago. Round trip was only $38.50! I couldve had it for $30.50, but I decided to stay the night in Stl instead of take the 1am Megabus home after the concert.
    Post edited by Alpine Bound on
  • drsluggo wrote:
    That's what I'm leaning towards, so no, it cant be crazy!
    no its not crazy, but that drive back to chicago in the middle of the night after seeing the show may pose a problem for you. its a long long drive through the night and i would not want to do it after a show. i would rather sleep then drive home, but that's just me...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • kitfrieskitfries Posts: 4
    I'm flying from CHI to NY to see them w/the Black Keys. Flight tix are cheaper than the concert tix. :lol:
  • iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    not that crazy.

in 2007, drove 8 hours from Springfield MO to Chicago for the vic show, then had to drive back to work one day. Then drove back to Chicago for Lollapalooza.
    tacos
  • Not crazy at all. Well, at least not crazy in the company of pearl jam message board members!

Being in MN, I've had to travel long distances to the majority of the shows I've seen. Flown to some, but have also taken some EPIC road trips. Memories are made and good times are had, do it!
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
    I did think about it but in the end I just went for Indi. I am hoping for a fall return. If I would do it I would stay the night in St. Louie then drive back to Chicago.
  • no
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • emily6371emily6371 Posts: 202
    I don't think that's crazy at all. I'm driving 5 hours to St. Louis staying in a hotel, driving back to Chicago, driving 6 hours to Columbus staying in a hotel then 3 hours to Noblesville staying in a hotel and back to Chicago the next morning. :)
    But I agree with the previous poster. Don't drive back after a show. That's just crazy! I got a room at the Sheraton across from the venue for $55 and some others have gotten a room there for $45. It's worth the $45 dude.
  • pj.uw.laurapj.uw.laura Posts: 553
    emily6371 wrote:
    I don't think that's crazy at all. I'm driving 5 hours to St. Louis staying in a hotel, driving back to Chicago, driving 6 hours to Columbus staying in a hotel then 3 hours to Noblesville staying in a hotel and back to Chicago the next morning. :)
    But I agree with the previous poster. Don't drive back after a show. That's just crazy! I got a room at the Sheraton across from the venue for $55 and some others have gotten a room there for $45. It's worth the $45 dude.

Definitely worth the $45. Much cheaper than the medical/insurance payments if you fall asleep behind the wheel.
  • Definitely get a hotel. In 06 I drove back from Chicago after night 2. We had been partying all day prior to the show and by the time we left Chicago at 12:30 am we were all exhausted. Safe to say it was the worst seven hours I've ever spent in a car...head out the window most of the way to keep awake!
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    I going from STL to Kansas, back to STL, then on to Noblesville a few days alter. It will be fun!
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
    Road trip!!
  • Sounds like a plan. I've driven to DC to see them(about 10 hrs.) I just make a little trip out of it and do some site seeing!!!

Good luck and be careful on the road!!
    Makes much more sense.................
    To Live......................
    In the present tense.
  • CRAZY? no, not even a little bit. sounds like a perfect plan to me. great job putting it together. the only thing that would make it better is to swing through columbus and indy while your at it. adding cleveland to the itinerary would be mildly crazy, but still fairly reasonable.
  • simmers33simmers33 Posts: 228
    CRAZY? no, not even a little bit. sounds like a perfect plan to me. great job putting it together. the only thing that would make it better is to swing through columbus and indy while your at it. adding cleveland to the itinerary would be mildly crazy, but still fairly reasonable.

True B_B, as long it is just "mildy crazy" :D

Thanks everyone - I fell better about myself and I think I might do it! ...... Oh and of course I am going to Indy - I mean if I didn't hit that show I would just be foolish!
    Good evening...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    no crazier than driving to bonnaroo or flying to philly to close down teh spectrum
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Not crazy at all - in 2004 for Vote for Change I drove: 400 miles to Reading, then 500 to Toledo, then 600 home the next day. The only thing that seems a little cagey is driving back to Chicago the same night after St. Louis, unless you are a night person and know you won't get sleepy. You might be better off sleeping somewhere cheap for a few hours on the way.

But I drive to Pearl Jam all the time, and its usually 250-400 miles+, 1 way. They just never seem to make it up to the sticks of upstate NY for some reason :lol:
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Slow MoeSlow Moe Posts: 87
    We drove from Peoria to Philly to see the Halloween show, spent the night then drove home. It was worth it. Hopefully we'll seeya in KC & StL!
    Wrigley Field (Chicago) 7/19/13, Pacific Coliseum (Vancouver) 9/25/11, ScottTrade Center (St. Louis) 5/4/10, Sprint Center (KC) 5/3/10, Wachovia Spectrum Arena (Philadelphia) - 10/31/09, Key Arena (Seattle) - 9/22/09, Key Arena (Seattle) - 9/21/09, United Center (Chicago) - 8/24/09, United Center (Chicago) - 8/23/09, Colonial Center (Columbia, SC) - 6/16/08, The Vic Theatre (Chicago) - 8/02/07, Pepsi Center (Denver) - 7/02/06

Actually come to think of it, I just might be a puddle full of detriment.
    81 wrote:
    no crazier than driving to bonnaroo or flying to philly to close down teh spectrum

I flew to Philly to close the spectrum- totally worth it! 10/30 and 10/31! Will soon not forget.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    no
    dude took my quote
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    I'm driving back after STL because my wife can't miss work the next day. That's going to be insane, but I'm thinking between the two of us we can stay awake and just keep stopping for some caffeine on the way home.I'm told 4.5 hours with no traffic... not TOOOOOOOOOO bad, but it is still a little crazy.
  • Alpine BoundAlpine Bound Posts: 1,809
    Why not take the Megabus? I am and it only cost $38.50 (can be had for $30.50 if you leave at 1am after stl)
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I drive at least 8 hours for ANY PJ show. In 08 I drove down to WPB then up to Roo then over to Columbia and then back to Tallahassee, FL - that's fuckin crazy, but worth it!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1