Question for those who have seen PJ multiple times

dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
edited March 2010 in The Porch
It is clear from reading prior show reviews that Pearl Jam is magic on stage. My question is, for those of you who have seen them many times, does the magic of seeing them live wane or is it as magical for you each time you have seen them? Just wondering if the first time is more magical than the 10th time.
It's nice to be nice to the nice.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    There is a feeling that you have your first show that is irreplaceable. Other than that, yeah, magic is a good way to put it.
  • I can tell you what's not magical...NOT getting tickets to MSG = (
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    edited March 2010
    Doesn't matter to me. They are just as magical to me from when I first saw them in '98 to when I saw them in Philly last year. Never gets old.
    Post edited by Stone Is God on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,926
    Each time gets better and better. Did my 10th show last year, and it was better than the 1st (and the 1st was amazing). Anticpating the setlist, guessing the next song from the first 2 or 3 notes, the odd rarity thrown in to knock things up a notch (BAM!!). It's all good! :)
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    dasvidana wrote:
    It is clear from reading prior show reviews that Pearl Jam is magic on stage. My question is, for those of you who have seen them many times, does the magic of seeing them live wane or is it as magical for you each time you have seen them? Just wondering if the first time is more magical than the 10th time.

The magic never disappears thats why everyone has seen the band loads of times. You never ever know what they are gonna pull out so you just keep coming back for moree!
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Each time seeing them is great! I've seen them 16 times and you would think that would be enough, but I just want more! I saw them 4 times last year and thought they were better than ever. Every show/tour is different!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • rival420rival420 Posts: 58
    This will be show #15 for me.. And "It's" still there for me! It just becomes so addictive going to see them live, and every few months you start to get that itch again and hope they come around!
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    The first 8 shows were fine, you know they were good, but the time I saw Bruce Springsteen and the time I saw Paul Simon, and the time I saw XXX etc were better. . . . then came Philly 05, and I was HOOKED! OMG! Joy joy joy through the roof, and I was way the hell in the back! It may depend on many factors, but I think venue|crowd has a lot to do with the overall feeling from the concert.

If I had the money, and if they tour Philadelphia again, I would desperately try for those tickets.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,647
    Hadn't seen them before the Cornell appearance LA show last year, but ended up seeing them four times that month and will more than likely get to see them 5 times in May and obviously I am super hooked!! Over the last four shows I attended they played 77 different songs over the course of the four nights, so no two shows are alike.

They have a great energy on stage and everybody in the building seems to know every song. It is just an experience. Obviously I am hooked as I will be seeing up to my 9th show already.

I am officially addicted!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    It definitely doesn't disappear. Occasionally you run into shows that don't have quite the same magic for one reason or another (these are still better than anything else you could be doing)..but I've yet to lose that same undescribeable feeling. After this tour, I'll have seen the band more times the number of years I've been alive :D Bring on May!
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Each time better than the last :)
  • jamminmomjamminmom Posts: 30
    I saw them first in 1992 and most recently in 2009. Awesome each time!
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,363
    37 shows and counting-- never gets old.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • moloconomolocono Posts: 116
    I cannot explain the feeling I get when anticipating a Pearl Jam show.
    I recently saw them in San Diego and it was probably one of the best shows I've been to.
    I think I get more excited about seeing them now then maybe 5 years ago.
  • Corey LynnCorey Lynn Posts: 681
    there is nowhere in the world that I would rather be than at a PJ show.

If I knew where it was I would take you there. There's much more than this
  • Born2JamBorn2Jam Posts: 255
    My first PJ concert in 1996 was a little more exciting, simply because of the unknown factors.

But I bought tickets for the Boston show today, which I think will be my 12th (I've actually lost count now...) and I tell ya, I can't stop giggling in anticipation.

I've seen lots of other concerts in my time, and none effect me like this band.
    "This band has provided many people a soundtrack to their lives.." ~ CitizenRick
  • I have seen PJ almost 40 times and the first time was in 1994 and I will never forget that show ( I nearly passed out from the excitement it was pretty intense) Having seen PJ so many times there have been some unforgettable shows and honestly only a very few that could have been a little better.

Magical is a great word to use to to describe the experience you will love every minute of the shows and the energy will be with you for days and weeks !!! Have a great time ! :D:D
  • better and better!!!

if it wasnt so difficult (between their sporadic live showing, tm battles, my broke ass, etc) from time to time i might be up around my phish numbers (75)
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    Well, I've seen 67 shows and I am planning on 8 more. At age 55 you would think I would have more sensible things to spend my money on. But nothing beats the "high" of Pearl Jam.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • serpent boyserpent boy Posts: 372
    I've only seen 11 shows, but like Ms. Haiku said above, it's a variety of factors that make each show unique. Not all will be the best, but they'll each be memorable.

For example, Virginia Beach 2008 didn't have the most spectacular setlist or the most energy or the best crowd, but I'll always remember the show because:
    1.) It's in my hometown
    2.) They opened with Long Road --> Corduroy (same as 2000!)
    3.) "Evacuation"!!!
    4.) The cool wind on a mid-June day and the sky suddenly darkened set a perfect atmosphere for "Sleight of Hand"
    5.) The only appearance of an ITW song at a PJ show ("Guaranteed")
    6.) I was front frickin' row!!

Every time I see them, it's an experience that I remember forever.
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Born2JamBorn2Jam Posts: 255
    Plus, PJ isn't like most bands.
    You can see them multiple times in a row, in the same city even, and experience a different show all together each time. To me, that keeps it exciting as well.
    "This band has provided many people a soundtrack to their lives.." ~ CitizenRick
  • It gets better every time!!! :mrgreen:
    Makes much more sense.................
    To Live......................
    In the present tense.
  • jamminmomjamminmom Posts: 30
    The shows get better and better but I get so mad when PJ is in my neck of the woods and I can not see them due to other factors. I would rather see a "bad PJ show" (if there is such a thing) than not see them at all.
  • Always a great show.....every one of them seem unique to me
  • DivkaDivka Posts: 200
    Born2Jam wrote:
    Plus, PJ isn't like most bands.
    You can see them multiple times in a row, in the same city even, and experience a different show all together each time. To me, that keeps it exciting as well.

That's one of the best things about seeing them live. I agree that every time is just as good, if not better than the time before. I've only seen them 9 times, but I have never, ever been even slightly disappointed.
    When the stars exploded billions of years ago, they formed everything that is this world. Everything we know is stardust...
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Its always awesome. For me, its like going to see old friends now even though i don't know that many people. Just being around others that love the music. If you go to a lot of shows in your area, you're going to end up sitting near some of the same people at more than one show. I love it. I love the ritual of a Pearl Jam show. Its like church should have been. It is my church.

Besides, you never know what might happen. For all you know, they might put on yellow suits, and red cone hats and come out and sing a Devo song ;)
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • May 7th will be PJ show #9 (in addition to 2 eddie solo shows). Like many others have said their is a "magical" quality about it. The one thing I have learned is that the person or people you attend a show with can change how memorable an individual show can be. I have yet to attend more than one show with any one individual and in addition to change in set lists, venues, and eras this has had a huge effect. I just hope I can continue seeing PJ shows for the next 20 years or so. Cannot wait for Indy, venue #9 concert partner #9.
    RFK 6/13/98 -Tibetan Freedom, Pittsburgh 8/25/98, Merriweather Post 9/4/00, Grand Rapids 10/03/04 - MoveOn.org, Palace of Auburn Hills 5/22/06, Grant Park 8/05/07 - Lollapalooza, Verizon Center, DC 6/22/08, Chicago 8/22/08 - EDDIE, Baltimore 6/14/09 - EDDIE, United Center 8/23/09, Verizon Wireless 5/7/10
  • beakbeak Posts: 148
    For me, it continues to get better because they always have newer songs to offer each time I see them. They occasionally have their off days that many people will complain about, but I only see them 2-3 times per U.S. tour and for me, that's just enough to keep it special each time.
    www.NickBpt.com