IF

ML212183ML212183 Posts: 20
edited March 2010 in The Porch
If they add a second show then do they allow everyone the chance to get presale tickets again or do they limit it to only people that couldn't get them the first time?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    free for all
  • NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    In the past when they have added shows all members were eligible. Whether or not members have purchased tickets to the show(s) already scheduled made no difference.
  • ML212183ML212183 Posts: 20
    This is a load of crap. The Ten Club doesn't care because they have their money from all of us. This should be escalated to the band's management. They should do a ticket buy or request more seats from the promoters and offer the option to all of us that got shut out to buy tickets from them. This is hogwash and poor fan service. I can't help but ask 'what would my company do?' and they would most surely eat some money and make their customers happy. The band should do that here.

I've promoted concerts before. They can get as many tickets as they damn well please. They should do that and contact the members that feel slighted.
  • Tenzing N.Tenzing N. Posts: 466
    But we're not customers- we're fans. There is no competition per se. I'm taking my business to Miley Cirus thank you.
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    But we're not customers- we're fans. There is no competition per se. I'm taking my business to Miley Cirus thank you.

We absolutely are customers. Why do you think they're millionaires? Their fans who buy their albums and tickets and t-shirts have made them so. I'm sure the guys in the band and their management recognize this. If their fans don't buy tickets then who is going to come see them and pay them? And we're especially customers because they took our Ten Club fees. Is there anyone that paid that fee for the chance to use this forum? I paid for a chance to see the band with good seats. Every other band that I belong to a club of has a functioning site and can handle the demand. Why can't these guys? And it should be noted that Pearl Jam is the only club I belong to that makes you PAY for the chance to get presale tickets. That's a free service that most bands offer to excite their fan base.
    And on top of that, you guys should take some time to look online and review some artist performance contracts and their hospitality riders. Promoters provide these tickets to bands for FREE so they can turn around and sell them to us for $171 per pair. How much sweat would it be off their ball bags to go back and buy another block of seats as a reduced rate and still sell them to us for $171? I'm not asking for any free-bee's. Just the chance to buy tickets on a functioning web site or a refund of my membership fees.
    The 10 Club has stated for some time now that being a member gives you the opportunity to buy tickets, but it is not a guarantee that you will get them.
    NeilJam wrote:
    The 10 Club has stated for some time now that being a member gives you the opportunity to buy tickets, but it is not a guarantee that you will get them.

Absolutely. And if the web site actually worked and it sold out on me then I'd accept that. The fact is that the site can't handle the demand and they should be contracting out to a third party vendor like EVERY OTHER POPULAR BAND ON THE PLANET.

Additionally, when I wrote to the Ten Club with my valid complaint then they wrote back and basically said if you're in Boston or DC then there's too great a demand. Fair enough. Why not state what markets are a waste of money to pursue it in? If I knew Boston was much more difficult to get tickets in then I would have saved my $25 and actually got a lunch break today at work.
    I was simply pointing to the fact that, because Pearl Jam is not a "product", there is no free market pressure involved and consequently no amount of moaning or complaining will do any good. Well- I shouldn't say no pressure but when it comes to super fans who clog up the site the minute it opens there is an artificial presssure imposed. Supply and demand is not on our side I'm afraid.
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    I was simply pointing to the fact that, because Pearl Jam is not a "product", there is no free market pressure involved and consequently no amount of moaning or complaining will do any good. Well- I shouldn't say no pressure but when it comes to super fans who clog up the site the minute it opens there is an artificial presssure imposed. Supply and demand is not on our side I'm afraid.

I know what you mean but I think it actually is. And I think this band already learned this once the hard way when they decided to stop touring and take on Ticketmaster. Eventually the money started running out and they had to compromise. There are bands from their era that are playing theaters and clubs now. It's people like us that keep them in the sheds and arenas. I'm sure if a band member was confronted with this then they would agree completely. Unfortunately we're left to deal with their dipshit interns that are stuffing envelopes and responding to emails from the Ten Club.
  • rats21rats21 Posts: 65
    I've never had a problem getting 10c tickets except for the Vic in 2007..

You have choices..

Either deal with the awful website system like EVERYONE else does or wait for ticketmaster..

nobody has an unfair advantage that you dont have..

stop your complaining..
    '06:5.27,5.28
    '08:6.19,6.20,6.22,6.24,6.25,6.27,6.28,6.30,7.1
    '09:8.21,8.23,8.24,9.21,9.22,10.4,10.27,10.28,10.30,10.31
    '10:5.9,5.10,5.13,5.15,5.17,5.18,5.20,5.21
    '11:9.3,9.4,9.11,9.12
    '12:9.2
    '13:7.16,10.15,10.16,10.18,10.19,10.21,10.22,10.25,10.27
    '14:6.16, 6.17
    '15:9.26
    '16:4.28,4.29,5.1,5.2,5.10,5.11,8.5,8.7,8.20,8.22
    '17:4.7
    '18:8.8,8.10,9.2,9.4
    '21:9.18
    '22:9.10,9.11,9.14
    '24:9.3,9.4
  • idreaminredidreaminred Posts: 314
    Tenzing N. wrote:

That's funny! :lol:
    rats21 wrote:
    I've never had a problem getting 10c tickets except for the Vic in 2007..

You have choices..

Either deal with the awful website system like EVERYONE else does or wait for ticketmaster..

nobody has an unfair advantage that you dont have..

stop your complaining..

There's actually a third choice as well and that's to not support the band anymore.
    ML212183, where are you getting these arguments? Are you just plucking wild ideas from thin air or are you really this misinformed?

I won't claim to know all the details about their contracts to perform, but I'm sure the tickets they get to sell to 10 Club members aren't free to them considering the considerable amount they get. I assume they get a reduced amount of pay for their performance or percentage of other ticket sales in exchange for getting these tickets. Also, if the 10 Club tickets don't sell out, I'm sure those leftovers are eventually sold to the public through LiveNation or Ticketmaster. You must be thinking of guest tickets that artists' get for friends and family which I think would be a fraction of what they sell to the 10 Club.

The problem they had when trying to tour without using Ticketmaster was that too many large venues had exclusive contracts with TM, so Pearl Jam could not have a concert there without selling tickets through them. I think they gave up and reverted to using them in 98 so that the could perform in more places instead of just the dozen or so they could get for the 95 and 96 tours.
  • InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    i think the 10c ticket sales is a pretty fair way i mean its not like others have a better or different chance than anyone else...everyone has to deal with the same problems and some people are just luckier than others
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
    We're arguing two different but related points here. I would agree that the system is messed up if the system covered all access to all shows but it doesn't. It covers access to those who CHOOSE to deal through the ten club. I'm all for a better way to do this but at the same time I'm not sure it would benefit us. Any upgrade to the purchase process would probably entail upgrading systems which would cost something that would be passed along to us. Any change in ticket availability would probably raise those costs too.
    NeilJam wrote:
    ML212183, where are you getting these arguments? Are you just plucking wild ideas from thin air or are you really this misinformed?

I won't claim to know all the details about their contracts to perform, but I'm sure the tickets they get to sell to 10 Club members aren't free to them considering the considerable amount they get. I assume they get a reduced amount of pay for their performance or percentage of other ticket sales in exchange for getting these tickets. Also, if the 10 Club tickets don't sell out, I'm sure those leftovers are eventually sold to the public through LiveNation or Ticketmaster. You must be thinking of guest tickets that artists' get for friends and family which I think would be a fraction of what they sell to the 10 Club.

The problem they had when trying to tour without using Ticketmaster was that too many large venues had exclusive contracts with TM, so Pearl Jam could not have a concert there without selling tickets through them. I think they gave up and reverted to using them in 98 so that the could perform in more places instead of just the dozen or so they could get for the 95 and 96 tours.

Go ahead and look at a standard contract between a booking agency on behalf of their client and a promoter. You might be able to find some on The Smoking Gun (though I think most of the samples they have are humorous contract riders, but you may be able to see the boring stuff there too). It's standard that a band get a set amount of tickets for FREE for their fan club sales and radio station giveaways. In fact it was this generous arrangement that has put me up front at two Alice in Chains' shows now. I also got the chance to have a pair of tickets from the Aerosmith organization last summer. They must have had a section of 500 tickets set aside from the Comcast Center in Mansfield, MA. Not sure if they got this many free-bee's as part of their contract or if they did a ticket buy.

A ticket buy is when a band, their management or record label buys blocks of tickets at reduced costs so that they can get people into the show over and above the amount of promotional seats they are given as part of the contract. In my younger years I used to promote concerts (not big time like a PJ show so less money went around but it was still based on the same concepts) and frequently had to complete ticket buys for the bands.

You can probably search some articles on billboard.com as well if you want to read about the whole Ticketmaster scandal involving Bruce Springsteen ticket resales. Most of those articles also talked about the ticket blocks that bands reserved and that's why you will never get decent seats buying through Ticketmaster. The good seats are usually gone to the band, radio and the promoters before they even go on sale. Why do you think the Ten Club tickets are so good? And it's this reason that I will not be buying tickets for PJ from Ticketmaster. It's a waste of time and money because you end up in the nose bleeds and they charge you more than you guys will have paid for the prime seats.
    Tenzing N. wrote:
    We're arguing two different but related points here. I would agree that the system is messed up if the system covered all access to all shows but it doesn't. It covers access to those who CHOOSE to deal through the ten club. I'm all for a better way to do this but at the same time I'm not sure it would benefit us. Any upgrade to the purchase process would probably entail upgrading systems which would cost something that would be passed along to us. Any change in ticket availability would probably raise those costs too.

Alice in Chains uses a really nice third party vendor whose whole purpose for existence is to fascilitate fan presales in a way that doesn't disrupt service on the band's site and it makes everyone happy. They're called Artist Arena and they handle smaller club bands all the way up to the big time. I've used their services many times and there is NEVER an issue. For the AIC show I went to this weekend they gave me front row seats and also coordinated mailing us concert t-shirts and instructions for a meet and greet with the band. Then we all got posters, laminates and pictures with the band. This was like a 5 part service on the part of this company. The Ten Club can't even get part 1 right.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    if............my uncle had bewbs he'd be my aunt
  • mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
    JC29856 wrote:
    if............my uncle had bewbs he'd be my aunt

:lol: I've been feeling a bit slighted by the website all day myself, but THIS gave me a genuine laugh. Thanks, JC