anyone else feeling ... shafted ?

dendron8dendron8 Posts: 54
edited March 2010 in The Porch
So, I live in Raleigh, NC, we havent had a show here since 2003.

The last time PJ was in this state was 2004, Asheville.

I drove to Va Beach in 08, which wasnt too bad but still an almost 4 hour drive. DC is the closest this time, and thats a good 5+ hours from here.

I love PJ to death, but I am starting to feel like the red-headed step child and my excitement is dwindling that I will ever see them again within this state.

I am sure some others feel the same way... ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StrykerStryker Posts: 585
    I live in New York, so no.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    dendron8 wrote:

I drove to Va Beach in 08, which wasnt too bad but still an almost 4 hour drive. DC is the closest this time, and thats a good 5+ hours from here.

I love PJ to death, but I am starting to feel like the red-headed step child and my excitement is dwindling that I will ever see them again within this state.

Florida, and NOPE!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Check out the 10C ticket sales for the cities that haven't gotten a concert in a while. There's a reason they play the cities they do.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • teflonsteveteflonsteve Posts: 275
    I drove 8 and 12 hour drives last tour. Shortest I've ever driven for Pearl Jam is 4 hours. Sure it sucks, but there are some places they have never played.
    9/20/05 - Quebec City
    9/22/05 - Halifax
    6/19/08 - Camden 
    6/28/08 - Mansfield 
    9/07/11 - Montreal
    5/05/16 - Quebec City
  • RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    Just think about the poor folks in Alaska and you'll feel better.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • dendron8dendron8 Posts: 54
    Check out the 10C ticket sales for the cities that haven't gotten a concert in a while. There's a reason they play the cities they do.

not saying theres not good reason... im sure they have data to back up their decisions. just saying i wish they would come closer.
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    I live 4 hours away to the closest town Pearl Jam plays (Toronto) from me. I'm driving to Buffalo this time which is another 1.5 hours passed Toronto (that's if I can score tickets tomorrow) so to answer your question nope.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • Check out the 10C ticket sales for the cities that haven't gotten a concert in a while. There's a reason they play the cities they do.

there's no way to know how many tickets have sold for these shows. just because there are 10c tickets remaining, doesn't mean the sales are poor. chicago last year (when it was one of a handful of dates) took several days to sell out fan club seats. the allotments have gone up.

to the OP - when their "tours" consist of 11 or 12 dates, it's mathematically impossible for them to get to secondary markets more than once a decade.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    northeast here ...nuff said
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Check out the 10C ticket sales for the cities that haven't gotten a concert in a while. There's a reason they play the cities they do.

there's no way to know how many tickets have sold for these shows. just because there are 10c tickets remaining, doesn't mean the sales are poor. chicago last year (when it was one of a handful of dates) took several days to sell out fan club seats. the allotments have gone up.

to the OP - when their "tours" consist of 11 or 12 dates, it's mathematically impossible for them to get to secondary markets more than once a decade.

yep - when you have 12 dates and 4 of them are either boston or ny, stretches the rest pretty thin. agree.
  • you people that keep complaining need to understand that this "tour" is a bonus for america. if you go back and read the first tweet announcing an announcement you will clearly see that it says this thing almost didn't even happen at all. it sounds to me pearl jam and company went out of their way to make sure us americans got lttle taste before they went to europe. now i don't know about you, but given the choice of pearl jam not very close to me or no pearl jam at all, i'll take the first one.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
    you people that keep complaining need to understand that this "tour" is a bonus for america. if you go back and read the first tweet announcing an announcement you will clearly see that it says this thing almost didn't even happen at all. it sounds to me pearl jam and company went out of their way to make sure us americans got lttle taste before they went to europe. now i don't know about you, but given the choice of pearl jam not very close to me or no pearl jam at all, i'll take the first one.

well, thats your opinion and you are certainly entitled. i can see your viewpoint.. i just dont happen to agree. "bonus" is a subjective term. if pj is not coming close and i cant go, it really makes no difference to me whether they tour or not. that might excite you, but im not on that bandwagon.
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    dendron8 wrote:

Uh, sorry no sympathy here. In the west, 4 or 5 hour drive is NOTHING! The closest they have come to Missoula since 05 is Seattle (8.5 hour drive in good weather)....
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 618
    no way to know how many tickets have sold for these shows. just because there are 10c tickets remaining, doesn't mean the sales are poor. chicago last year (when it was one of a handful of dates) took several days to sell out fan club seats. the allotments have gone up.

I think this is a great point. We have no way to know the exact details that go in to this. Maybe the Ten Club fought for the fan club ticket allotments to go up, but they had to slightly increase ticket prices in return? What I'm saying is that I believe Ten Club has done everything in their power to try to appease the fans, especially the fan clubbers.

As Backspacer_Backer said, maybe the pre-sales for the first 4 midwest shows went fine, but the Ten Club just had a humongous allotment to serve every fan that wanted to go?

To respond to the original poster, no I don't feel shafted and I live in Iowa. The closest I've ever been to a show is probably 3.5 hours.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    2024: 5/18, 6/29
    zootown wrote:
    dendron8 wrote:

Uh, sorry no sympathy here. In the west, 4 or 5 hour drive is NOTHING! The closest they have come to Missoula since 05 is Seattle (8.5 hour drive in good weather)....

yikes... that definitely trumps me.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,446
    I live in a small town on the far East Coast of Canada. My home is a shrine to Pearl Jam. I've been collecting, listening, sharing the exprience & have fallen in love with their music since '91. Does my small town ever get to see Pearl Jam? Just once in '05. It's all single airplane rides for me. Closest drive to a Pearl Jam show in Canada for me is Montreal & that's an 11 hour drive. My year's before & year's after that time, it's a routine fact that for I to see my favorite band on the planet live on stage, I have to travel. Sucks, but there's nothing else I can do. I don't feel like moving cause of my family. Family comes first. The more I bitch & complain about getting Pearl Jam again here again, isn't worth it. Work hard, don't waste those sick day's, plan out a long vacation time off & save some money in a Pearl Jam jar for those times they come around close to your state.
    demetrios wrote:
    I live in a small town on the far East Coast of Canada. My home is a shrine to Pearl Jam. I've been collecting, listening, sharing the exprience & have fallen in love with their music since '91. Does my small town ever get to see Pearl Jam? Just once in '05. It's all single airplane rides for me. Closest drive to a Pearl Jam show in Canada for me is Montreal & that's an 11 hour drive. My year's before & year's after that time, it's a routine fact that for I to see my favorite band on the planet live on stage, I have to travel. Sucks, but there's nothing else I can do. I don't feel like moving cause of my family. Family comes first. The more I bitch & complain about getting Pearl Jam again here again, isn't worth it. Work hard, don't waste those sick day's, plan out a long vacation time off & save some money in a Pearl Jam jar for those times they come around close to your state.

another story more dire than mine. thanks for these replies... im feeling better already :)
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 618
    dendron8 wrote:
    well, thats your opinion and you are certainly entitled. i can see your viewpoint.. i just dont happen to agree. "bonus" is a subjective term. if pj is not coming close and i cant go, it really makes no difference to me whether they tour or not. that might excite you, but im not on that bandwagon.

I'm just wondering why you can't go. You're in North Carolina, not Alaska (as somebody else mentioned). Why couldn't you go to Bristow, Va? That's like a 4 hour drive. I've went to 20 Pearl Jam shows in my life and never had a show closer than 3.5 hours. They always take a commitment of time, money, and travel. It sounds to me like you're not willing to travel, spend some money, or take time off work. Hey, I can't blame you... it is an expensive commitment to do that. But there are obviously a ton of fans that are willing to do this.

I'm not trying to attack you here... but it doesn't sound like Pearl Jam in their 40s with families are going to be hitting 40 shows on a massive North American tour anytime soon. I won't blame you for not making a commitment to go see them... but you shouldn't blame them for touring how they want to.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    2024: 5/18, 6/29
    wnh1977 wrote:
    no way to know how many tickets have sold for these shows. just because there are 10c tickets remaining, doesn't mean the sales are poor. chicago last year (when it was one of a handful of dates) took several days to sell out fan club seats. the allotments have gone up.

I think this is a great point. We have no way to know the exact details that go in to this. Maybe the Ten Club fought for the fan club ticket allotments to go up, but they had to slightly increase ticket prices in return? What I'm saying is that I believe Ten Club has done everything in their power to try to appease the fans, especially the fan clubbers.

As Backspacer_Backer said, maybe the pre-sales for the first 4 midwest shows went fine, but the Ten Club just had a humongous allotment to serve every fan that wanted to go?

To respond to the original poster, no I don't feel shafted and I live in Iowa. The closest I've ever been to a show is probably 3.5 hours.

ya thats tough. glad to hear these stories.

btw, is there still a carlos o kellys in cedar rapids? i used to work for them and went to the one that was in (i think) marion when i was younger.
    wnh1977 wrote:
    dendron8 wrote:

I'm just wondering why you can't go. You're in North Carolina, not Alaska (as somebody else mentioned). Why couldn't you go to Bristow, Va? That's like a 4 hour drive. I've went to 20 Pearl Jam shows in my life and never had a show closer than 3.5 hours. They always take a commitment of time, money, and travel. It sounds to me like you're not willing to travel, spend some money, or take time off work. Hey, I can't blame you... it is an expensive commitment to do that. But there are obviously a ton of fans that are willing to do this.

I'm not trying to attack you here... but it doesn't sound like Pearl Jam in their 40s with families are going to be hitting 40 shows on a massive North American tour anytime soon. I won't blame you for not making a commitment to go see them... but you shouldn't blame them for touring how they want to.

my reasons for not being able to go are my own. no offense, but i certainly am not going to discuss my personal life on a message board.

i understand i should not expect a massive tour. im not blaming them or anyone. my point was to see if anyone else was in the same boat as me regarding proximity / travel / budget. sounds like thats an overwhelming "yes" and "thats a silly question".
  • AndoAndo Posts: 410
    Im flying from Utah to NYC. The best part of a PJ concert is the expierience and the people. Going to a new city, getting lost asking for directions. Finding the best pizza, or cheese steak (philly 3 and 4!). Hanging out in a parking lot with good people drinking beer. If every show was our hometown it just wouldnt be as fun.

I understand the money/time off thing. I know i get 10 days off a year i save 3 of them to see if they tour or not. There isnt much id rather do so i save my time and money for it. Worse comes to worse if you want money you can find a way to make it. Pick up and extra shift. Sell something stupid you dont use anymore. Or of coarse ask mom for an early Bday present!

I only feel shafted when they only go to far away countries that shits expensive!
  • As a fellow North Carolina Pearl Jam fan (in Charlotte), it sort of was a letdown to see no NC/SC/GA/FL dates, but you know what ? Oh well ! It's only 7 hours to Columbus, and 3 hours over to the Indiana show. When you, and others, are hardcore fans, you suck it up and hit the road ! Plus, you can't underestimate the natural buzz of anticipation once your arrive at a Pearl Jam "road trip" show. We drove to Philly for Night 4 at the spectrum, and it was a blast ! Plus, I will have seen them in SEVEN different states after the Noblesville show ? Anyone else think that is kind of cool ??
    Charlotte 2000, Raleigh 2003, Charlotte 2003, St. Louis VFC 2004, Columbia 2008, Chicago Eddie 2008, Atlanta Eddie 2009, Philly Spectrum night 4 2009, Columbus 2010, Indy 2010, Jacksonville Eddie 2012, PJ Wrigley 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, Buffalo 2013, Charlottesville 2013, Charlotte 2013, Seattle 2013
  • demetrios wrote:
    ur a god
    Verizon Center-Washington, DC--May 30, 2006
    Verizon Center-Washington, DC--June 22, 2008
    Lyric Opera House-Baltimore, MD--June 14, 2009(Eddie Vedder Solo)
    Wachovia Spectrum-Philadelphia, PA--Oct 31, 2009

I Only Own My Mind...
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    dendron8 wrote:

04 Asheville was awesome almost didn't make that one we drove from Atl. Drove to Columbia too had a blast , love that little town and Eddie did Indifference encore just for me- kidding of course ;).
    Point is I will go where I have to to see them but I do understand not everyone is willing or able to go into financial debt for frivolous things that make them really happy. It might not be in their nature but for me having fun and making memories is my number 1 in life, really always has been, party girl here but even more so now that the clock is a tickin.
    I think you may have to change your way of thinking and embrace travel and debt to see the amount of PJ that will satisfy you.
  • FiveB247xFiveB247x Posts: 2,330
    Yeah I feel shafted - MSG should have gotten 3 shows :lol:
    CONservative governMENt

Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. - Louis Brandeis
  • rival420rival420 Posts: 58
    The best part of a PJ concert is the expierience and the people. Going to a new city, getting lost asking for directions. Finding the best pizza, or cheese steak (philly 3 and 4!). Hanging out in a parking lot with good people drinking beer. If every show was our hometown it just wouldnt be as fun.

I completely agree with that! Philly 1 was a good time, and even the short trips to Hartford for me is still a different experience than say Boston..
  • edited March 2010
    it sucks, but what can you do? they wont play outside of the usual spots (outside of a couple here and there), and have said they dont want to have big tours anymore. looks like the end of the road...

its all about the money now, and they know they cant charge 80 bucks a ticket outside of certain areas.
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • EvergreenEvergreen Posts: 492
    Phoenix 2003

Look at Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico too. I don't understand the Vegas and Phoenix thing at all. The shows were always sold out and HUGE. Hell, Phoenix made it on touring band a couple of times from 2000. Phoenix was a regular stop until 2003. :(
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,532
    dendron8 wrote:

I've seen PJ nearly 20 times.. the shortest travel time I've ever experienced was last year when they played calgary (I now reside in Edmonton) so a 2.5 hour drive. In all the shows I've seen that was the shortest trip.

I grew up in Victoria (and other towns on Vancouver Island). So from victoria to vancouver, it was always about 30 mins to the ferry, wait 30 mins for the ferry.. 1 hour 40 mins on ferry.. 45 minute drive to vancouver.. so roughly 3.5 hours travelling time.. if I went to seattle add 1.5 hours.. so 5 hours travelling time.. if they played at the gorge add another 2.5.. so 7.5 hours travelling time :) I think there's alot of people in north america that have it worse then what we have to travel :)

longest I ever drove to see PJ was Edmonton to the Gorge (14 hours) or similarly.. Victoria to Missoula in '98... probably similar length.
  • Corey LynnCorey Lynn Posts: 681
    I love how the OP says "I am sure some others feel the same way... ?".....like he hadn't noticed the 50 other threads on this topic.

If I knew where it was I would take you there. There's much more than this