Thanks (long winded but plenty of PJ at the end)

LanternjawLanternjaw Posts: 553
edited March 2010 in The Porch
I used to go to concerts by the bushel... worked at SPAC (Saratoga Performing Arts Center) throughout high school and had the good fortune to see numerous great rock bands come and go, night after night. In the late 80's, SPAC employees even shared a backstage bathroom with the artists -- had my share of 'Forrest Gump' moments before I even knew any better. I also got pretty jaded... thought most artists sounded better on their studio recordings than they did live. I was a young teenager when Bruce Springsteen made it big with 'Born in the USA.' He came my way and I passed up the opportunity to see him, deeming him a commercial product that was pounded into the public's head via MTV and a play every 15 minutes on every other radio station. "You've gotta see him live!" they told me... meh -- nobody sounds as good live as they do in the studio and I'm sick of BITUSA and Glory Days already. I'm a live music expert, afterall.

Fast forward 20+ years to January 2009. I've just wrapped up a brutally painful divorce that lasted nearly 5 years and cost me roughly $60k, a father of two wonderful daughters (aaged 9 and 13), and happily remarried to a good woman who is financially responsible and tough enough to keep me in line. My wife and I check out this new HD channel -- Paladia -- and happen upon a Springsteen concert from 2003 in Barcelona. We were flipping channels a week before the Super Bowl and couldn't manage to flip it again after we watched for a few minutes. Three hours later we both looked at each other and said "we've gotta see him live." So we did... about 4 months later in Albany. It was the first concert I'd been to since Bowie was at SPAC in 1990 and it blew away any show I'd ever been to. I wound up grabbing 5 more shows on this past tour, culminating in the epic "River" show at MSG this past November. What bummed me out was that I waited so long that I likely saw the last of one of the greatest rock performers ever.

Where does PJ fit into all this? My oldest daughter has been a huge fan since she was old enough to be into music. She bought the MSG DVD a few weeks ago and we both watched it together in awe. I took her to two Springsteen shows last year and that turned her into a concert junkie... I also promised her after seeing that DVD that if PJ ever came close to home again I'd take her to see them. A couple weeks later I hear rumors that PJ will announce some more US dates beyond the Jazz fest in NO. I take a chance and buy her a 10C membership... wouldn't you know it -- the next day the shows are announced and I'll have a chance to take her to feel the MSG shake shake like I did last November.

I've got a lot of catching up to do.. love the PJ sound and also dig Band of Horses. Have listened to '10' and 'Backspacer' a bunch but know I'm missing a lot in between...

Reagrdless -- thank you, Pearl Jam, for carrying the torch... and Eddie -- I know you're a Bruce fan -- do us all a favor and start eating and exercising like he does because I need to make up for lost time! And your legions of diehard fans deserve the best you can give them for many years to come.

That is all.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
    RIGHT ON!!!

Have fun at the MSG shows with your daughter!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • LanternjawLanternjaw Posts: 553
    Thanks -- we're gonna have a blast!

I don't even care what they call it these days (grunge, alternative?) -- PJ is pure Rock and Roll.

When I went to see Bruce at the Philly Spectrum last October 14th, I saw the massive PJ banner out front announcing the final dates at the Spectrum and thought -- maybe I should go... take Alexis (my oldest), but it was already sold out. The day of the final show (10/31/09) I checked in at the BTX (Springsteen forums) and someone was offering face value tix. I balked, thinking they'd do more dates... and then they didn't.

Needless to say -- I'm stoked, and more importantly, my daughter is stoked. She's also learning the electric guitar and can play the chords to about a dozen PJ tunes.

So happy,,, and so happy to share my story with folks who've loved this band a lot longer than I.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
    Lanternjaw wrote:
    Thanks -- we're gonna have a blast!

I don't even care what they call it these days (grunge, alternative?) -- PJ is pure Rock and Roll.

When I went to see Bruce at the Philly Spectrum last October 14th, I saw the massive PJ banner out front announcing the final dates at the Spectrum and thought -- maybe I should go... take Alexis (my oldest), but it was already sold out. The day of the final show (10/31/09) I checked in at the BTX (Springsteen forums) and someone was offering face value tix. I balked, thinking they'd do more dates... and then they didn't.

Needless to say -- I'm stoked, and more importantly, my daughter is stoked. She's also learning the electric guitar and can play the chords to about a dozen PJ tunes.

So happy,,, and so happy to share my story with folks who've loved this band a lot longer than I.
    Grunge?? Alternative??? I am not sure.....

I call it, THE BEST LIVE BAND ON PLANET EARTH!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    get yield get yield get yield
    listen to yield over and over and over

ENJOY THE SHOWS

(also buy single video theory)
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
    thanks, folks -- very welcome to suggestions. I'm the type that gets obsessed/immersed in my interests so the more, the merrier.

Can't wait for late May!
    and to get myself psyched up for the MSG presale tomorrw, here's my piss-poor (great sound, though) video from 11-08-9 at the Garden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8VysD-54rI
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    Grunge?? Alternative??? I am not sure.....

This....

Also, to the OP, great story about you and your family! That girl of yours has great taste in music :)
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
    Thanks -- it feels good to share every once in a while.
  • YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    Lanternjaw wrote:
    thanks, folks -- very welcome to suggestions. I'm the type that gets obsessed/immersed in my interests so the more, the merrier.

Can't wait for late May!

don't ever start buying posters.......seriously.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • slingsling Posts: 169
    Welcome! And enjoy making up for lost time! (I was a casual PJ fan since '91 but only fell HARD after the last concert I saw them at in September) I'm sure that you & your daughter will both be stricken with the PJ Obsessive Disorder by the time the concert's over! :) And then I'm sure we'll be seeing more of you ! :)
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549

this...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Lanternjaw wrote:

Can't wait for late May!

don't ever start buying posters.......seriously.
    I'm awfully tempted to grab one of those 10/31/09 posters.... that was the show I could've seen but passed up. Alas!

PJ is kickass with its posters, etc. -- one of the best fan-sites I've seen as far as official merchandise.

How big are the posters, btw? I'd love to get a few of them...
    And to further psyche me up for tix, here's a video from my daughter's first ever concert. We were about 4 leapfrogs from the stage in the pit at Springsteen's 8/19/09 show -- bad sound but great video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amcnETsagrg
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Welcome to the board. Good luck with getting tickets tomorrow, could be tough for the MSG shows. The NE is notorious for rabid PJ fans with low member numbers. Even if your not lucky on the board, try for public onsale. I promise you, you and your daughter WILL NOT be disappointed :P :P :P
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • KinseyKinsey Posts: 197
    You saw The River show, you lucky bastard. Did you also get to the WIESS show the night before?
    When we found the things we loved,
    They were crushed and dying in the dirt.
    We tried to pick up the pieces,
    And get away without getting hurt,
    But they caught us at the state line,
    And burned our cars in one last fight,
    And left us running burned and blind,
    Chasing something in the night.