usb record players

just davejust dave Posts: 260
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Are usb record players good to transfer the sound of vinyl to your computer.

can you get the "vinyl sound" on your mp3 player?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PontikasPontikas Posts: 210
    If your record player has RCA out then you could plug in an RCA to 3.5mm cable (check in google images) going from the record player to your computer's soundcard and record!

You can use a free program for this, for eg. Audacity.

The result will depend on how good your soundcard is - but even a cheap onboard one should be ok.

You should record in 16bit, 44.1 KHz wav or aiff file.

You can then convert to mp3... the higher the bit rate the better (320 kbps, 256 kbps)
  • As far as the "vinyl sound", no you cannot get it unless you just want to hear the popping noises.

The reason vinyl sounds as warm as it does is because it's analog; therefore when you record it digitally it will not be the same. Otherwise record companies would go thru the same process to make cd's sound better. If you're just wanting a usb turntable to make digital copies, you may as well just download the albums or buy the cds.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV