HOSTELS IN NEW YORK ? RECOMEND A GOOD ONE

wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Never been to the big apple,anyone recomend any hostels..........I had a look online there are lots to choose from.I am also going 2 days early,gonna check out 2 yankees games at the new ball park.Just wondering if anyone can point me in way of a good, safe, clean hostel.I dont have the money to waste on fancy hotels,but dont want to stay somewhere i am gonna get bed bugs...........
ajb
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    bigbug.gif
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    There is a decent one on the Bowery...can't remember the name right now. Let me see if I can find it.
    If you want, you can also PM me and I can give you some other info about places to stay in the city.

Edit: here is the link http://www.whitehousehotelofny.com/
    Yeah...the website looks like it was made in 1999, but I have had friends stay there before they could move into their places in NYC and they had nothing bad to say about the place. I mean, it is a hostel, and not a hotel...so obviously you have to be a little more careful and a little more laid back....but anyway, worth a look.
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    No matter what city you need a hotel in, you are crazy not to try Priceline.com (the name your own price feature) first...
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
    BeerBaron wrote:
    No matter what city you need a hotel in, you are crazy not to try Priceline.com (the name your own price feature) first...

I'm gonna agree with this too.....if you could spend like $65 a night, you would be able to get a really nice hotel room in NYC on priceline for sure.
  • YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    cdp1223 wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:

I'm gonna agree with this too.....if you could spend like $65 a night, you would be able to get a DAYS INN room in NEWARK on priceline for sure.

fixed that for you
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • R-Dub81R-Dub81 Posts: 374
    i stayed at a hampton inn on 7th or 8th. a short walk to time square. simple room with a bed and bathroom, free breakfast. Not that you need to spend a lot,if its your first time in NYC, get a basic, yet nice room. not like you will spend a lot of time in it.
    "Some people think it makes a difference...I think it's the difference that makes it" 

340xxx
    03 - Mansfield 3
    04 - Asheville
    06 - Hartford
    08 - Columbia, MSG 1, MSG 2, Hartford
    10 - Kansas City, Hartford
    12 - Atlanta
    13 - Charlotte
    16 - Columbia
    18 - Boston 2
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    stay in Secaucus NJ, take the train in straight to MSG. It'll cost you half of what staying in NYC would
    cdp1223 wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:

I'm gonna agree with this too.....if you could spend like $65 a night, you would be able to get a DAYS INN room in NEWARK on priceline for sure.

fixed that for you

Uh...have you ever used priceline in a major US city? This is a totally reasonable amount to start bidding.
  • shawndyershawndyer Posts: 270
    $65 a night in nyc? I don't think priceline would accept that for a hostel.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,845
    shawndyer wrote:
    seriously
    relatively clean and safe hotels can be had for around $200-$300
    even if you find a room for $200, it will be more like $250 when you add all the taxes
    shawndyer wrote:

A hotel...and you'd be surprised. I am staying in a hotel in downtown LA this week that is normally about $399 a night for $65. Have done similar bids in NYC, Philly and Toronto.
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    shawndyer wrote:
    $65 might be OK for a 2 star... anything nicer you're probably looking at $100ish. But I got hotels there for $100 last time - one night was Sherton and the other night was the Hilton on Times Square. Not bad for $100 on priceline!
    drsluggo wrote:
    shawndyer wrote:
    $65 might be OK for a 2 star... anything nicer you're probably looking at $100ish. But I got hotels there for $100 last time - one night was Sherton and the other night was the Hilton on Times Square. Not bad for $100 on priceline!

yeah it really depends. I never go with anything other than 4 stars on priceline and I've had luck with this, but this is just a random number I pulled out. Obviously sometimes you'll go higher or lower....

End of threadjack! :lol:
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,243
    Sorry I have used priceline and gotten great deals in big cities before too; but $65 for a hotel in NY is absurd. You're just not going to get that....unless you don't need a room where there is working plumbing that is...
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,845
    I am actually surprised
    But I took a quick look on Trip advisor and there are a number of decent hotels offering rooms for under $200
    I guess you could get lucky on priceline given that the hilton has rooms for $199 (pay in advance)
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Oh...

One other thing. If you are going to use priceline, go to biddingfortravel.com and search the threads in the NY Hotel board. You can figure out how much they are going for AND which hotels fall into each category. Its awesome - I would not use priceline without it.
  • nykoellenykoelle Posts: 80
    How much are you looking to spend? Anything in Manhattan is going to cost you bucks. Check out Brooklyn, there are some very nice areas there and lodging will cost less. I like this area, have wandered it drunk/at night, never this hotel, but it got good reviews on Google and it's near the C train which should take you right up to Penn, which is where MSG is.
    http://www.spencerplacebedandbreakfast.com/rooms.html

Rates:
    Fulton Room $135 ~ 165 per night, triple occupancy.
    Franklin Room $115 ~ $150 per night, double occupancy.
    Bedford Room $90 ~ $125 per night, double occupancy.
    Hancock Room $65 ~ $100 per night, single occupancy.

Reviews: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=2 ... n=0,0&z=17
  • wpg pearl wrote:
    Never been to the big apple,anyone recomend any hostels..........I had a look online there are lots to choose from.I am also going 2 days early,gonna check out 2 yankees games at the new ball park.Just wondering if anyone can point me in way of a good, safe, clean hostel.I dont have the money to waste on fancy hotels,but dont want to stay somewhere i am gonna get bed bugs...........
    I got bugs
    I got bugs in my room
    Bugs in my bed
    Bugs in my ears
    Their eggs in my head
    Bugs in my pockets
    Bugs in my shoes
    Bugs in the way I feel about you

Bugs on my window
    Trying to get in
    They don't go nowhere
    Waiting, waiting...
    Bugs on my ceiling
    Crowded the floor
    Standing, sitting, kneeling...
    A few block the door

And now the questions:
    Do I kill them?
    Become their friend?
    Do I eat them?
    Raw or well done?
    Do I trick them?
    I don't think they're that dumb
    Do I join them?
    Looks like that's the one

I got bugs on my skin
    Tickle my nausea
    I let it happen again
    They're always takin' over
    I see they surround me, I see...
    See them deciding my fate
    Oh, that which was once...was once up to me...
    Now it's too late

I got bugs in my room...one on one
    That's when I had a chance
    I'll just stop now
    I'll become naked
    And with the...I'll become one

DO NOT GO TO SLEAZY JEEZY'S COME & GO......."This is StoneVedder_10 and i approve this message" :thumbup:
    Everything has chains, absolutely nothing's changed...
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Hi there,

Check out the Gershwin, it's on 27th street between 5th & Madison, which makes it walking distance from MSG. I just pulled up $39/night for a 10-person dorm (bathroom in room, 5 bunk beds) and $49/night for a 6-person room (bathroom in room, 3 bunk beds). $5.00 for locker for your personal belongings. This is also a hotel with regular rooms $200+/night.

Haven't personally stayed here before but I hear it's big with the art community. Don't think you're going to find a better deal than this, other than a friend's couch. Maybe others can opine I feel like I've read on it on this board.

http://www.gershwinhotel.com/english/site1.php