From inside the SNL dress rehearsal...

edited March 2010 in The Porch
Update 12:01 a.m.: Songs are in the 26th post if you want to know.

Update 11:50 p.m.: Home from an awesome dress rehearsal. The hours spent in the rain were totally worth it. I need to get some food in me (haven't eaten anything of substance since last night), and then I'll give a full report.

Update 10:08 p.m.: Made it! All I can say is Hair Heads! Pearl Jam (the whole band) in a sketch. Great songs. The band sounded great. More to come when I can settle down. It was totally worth it!

Update 7:49 p.m.: in the elevator heading to the studio!

Update 7:09 p.m.: The word "anxious" does not even begin to sufficiently describe my current state of mind. It's almost go-time. Last minute good karma will be greatly appreciated.

Update 6:43 p.m.: just got to 30 Rock. The line of people with actual tickets is longer than I would like. #1&2 showed up, so I need them to at least let in four people.

Update 4:44 p.m.: link to photo gallery added. Not much there yet. It was too rainy to take pictures of the line-up experience.

Now, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, because the dress rehearsal isn't until 8:00 p.m., but I just woke up from a nap after spending over 15 hours in line waiting for stand-by tickets to tonight's Saturday Night Live with Pearl Jam! The fruits of my patience: stand-by tickets #3 and #4 for the dress rehearsal. It was a long, cold, rainy night waiting for tickets that don't even guarantee my admission to the show, but I have a good feeling about this, and I plan to share the whole experience with this community.

I chose the dress rehearsal tickets over the live broadcast for a couple of reasons: (1) I thought I might have better odds of getting in, but I learned from other seasoned SNL stand-by goers that it's really a crapshoot either way. (2) It should be a unique experience seeing the lead-up to an SNL show; I've read that you often get to see sketches that don't make it to the live broadcast. And (3) I'll be able to see the dress rehearsal live (I hope) and then see the live show on TV. It's the best of both worlds.

Everything I've heard leads me to believe that Pearl Jam will do the same two songs for both the dress and live show. I don't want to spoil this for the folks at home, so I won't update this first post with the songs. I will, however, tell you in which post numbers I've placed the song names, so you can either check them out or quickly skip over them and avoid spoilage.

Let me stress once more that there is no guarantee that I'll even get in tonight. If you've got good karma to send my way, it will be much appreciated. At the very least I'll try to give you a picture -- as far as I'm allowed to go -- of the experience.

Wish me well!

Cheers,

e
thedividedskyiscrape lives on...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• good luck! hope you get in.
    "one man stands the edge of the ocean
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    in the dark before the dawn..."
    "i am a donut"
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,485
    good luck! hope you get in.
  • Pearl JoePearl Joe Posts: 81
    Good luck! Looking forward to this appearance for sure.
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    Thanks for sharing the updates. Can't wait to hear what songs are going to be played.

Hope you get in to the show.
  • you must be a truly dedicated fan to go through all of this just for a chance that you will see PJ...that's even too rich for my blood...though i did think about doing it...glad i didn't because of the rain...it's a fuckin monsoon out here on long island...i was driving home from work today and i saw a huge tree up-rooted though i imagine it's a lot better in the city
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 137
    All the best to you!
  • you must be a truly dedicated fan to go through all of this just for a chance that you will see PJ...that's even too rich for my blood...though i did think about doing it...glad i didn't because of the rain...it's a fuckin monsoon out here on long island...i was driving home from work today and i saw a huge tree up-rooted though i imagine it's a lot better in the city

It was ridiculous how soaked I was last night. I had on six layers of clothing and was wet to the core. But it was a great group of people in our first group of about a dozen.

It was ridiculous how soaked I was last night. I had on six layers of clothing and was wet to the core. But it was a great group of people in our first group of about a dozen.

GOOD LUCK!!
    We'll send you all the cold meds you need next week when you are sick. Start the Vitamin B complex & C now.
  • IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 671
    I have really good karma, and I send it your way!!
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Niceeee post!

Good luck! I shall wake up and find out about it all :D
  • congrats dude, aesome!!!

and it totally dig yer handle bro, my two fave bands
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 677
    God Bless You for waiting in that line for 15 hours on a night/day like today!!!
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • knikknik Posts: 94
    Awesome! Can't wait!
  • Pearl JoePearl Joe Posts: 81
    Update 10:08 p.m.: Made it! All I can say is Hair Heads! Pearl Jam (the whole band) in a sketch. Great songs. The band sounded great. More to come when I can settle down. It was totally worth it!

Great update! Thanks!! And congrats!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    What songs did they play???
  • What songs did they play???

read his updates...he said he wasn't going to spoil, but it has some sort of hidden message thing going on so that people who want to know can search
  • 5against1-5against1- Posts: 1,101
    Why the hell would you want him to spoil it? I def. wanna be suprised.
    This too shall pass.....
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    In a sketch, huh? Nice.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    you are a fuckin trooper dude. i was really hoping they would get in a sketch. dave mathews was in one and it was pretty funny. its about time pj gets in one.

cant wait for tonight.. i havent drank since canada won the gold, was taking a break, but PJ on SNL is worth havin some beers!!

everyone and enjoy!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    im so excited for tonight!!!
    only a few hours left
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    i was hoping they would be in one of Andy's digital shorts.
    I miss igotid88
  • Mst3kmannMst3kmann Posts: 22

read his updates...he said he wasn't going to spoil, but it has some sort of hidden message thing going on so that people who want to know can search

No, he just said he wouldn't post the songs in the OP.

I'm more curious about the rest of the show myself. Any lip syncing jokes?
  • What songs did they play???

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=125456
  • andrewbandrewb Posts: 488
    edited March 2010
    just got back from the dress rehersal. WAS IN THE 2ND ROW!!!! SHOOK HANDS WITH EDDIE, BOOM AND TALKED TO MIKE ABOUT MSG!!! . AMAZING!!
    Post edited by andrewb on
    PJ
    6/03/06 6/24/08 6/25/08 6/28/08 8/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 3/13/10 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10 5/21/10 9/3/11 9/4/11 9/2/12 10/18/13 10/19/13 10/25/13 10/22/14 9/26/15 5/1/16 5/2/16 8/5/16 8/7/16 8/20/16 4/7/17

Ed Ved
    8/5/08 6/12/09 6/21/11 6/22/11

Brad
    5/23/12

Soundgarden
    7/9/11 1/23/13 8/1/14

RNDM
    3/7/16
  • Songs: Tracks 5 and 7 off Backspacer. (This way you don't mistakenly see the names.) And they were great!