One man's journey...

I am FaithfullI am Faithfull Posts: 16
edited March 2010 in The Porch
I’ve always enjoyed PJ. I’ve considered them one of my favorite bands throughout many years.
I was about 12 when Ten came out. I enjoyed music, but didn’t buy tons of it. After a few of the singles were released (Alive, Even Flow, Jeremy…. I believe), I purchased Ten. It really turned me on to rock and roll music, but not a music freak. I liked all of the popular stuff off of Vs. and loved pretty much everything about Vitalogy. Then came No Code…. And I was one of the ones who took a step backwards from the PJ bandwagon. I just didn’t get it. There were a few songs I thought were alright, but I didn’t even buy it. I was all excited when my buddy got it when it came out and after he played it for me, I was like, “ I don’t think I’m gonna spend my hard earned $14 on that… no matter who it is.” I know, I’m lame…

THEN.

Yield. It completely blew my hair back. I see people write on here that they don’t like that album (or it’s their least favorite) and it blows my mind! To this day that album/each song reverberates within my soul. I was in college and broke at the time, so I snuck into that concert (shhhhhhh), there was NO WAY I was missing it!!!! Anyway, that album was the right time, right place for me, I guess. Next, I wasn’t impressed with Binaural, Riot Act, or Avocado. Some of the stuff was ok - here and there - but it didn’t stick. Now, it should be noted that from throughout Riot Act and Avocado I got married, had a kid and another one on the way - that always jacks up everything… Seriously. Look @ Peyton Manning’s stats and record the year he was married (2001). I mean, I love my wife and children more than I can explain, but it can just throw a dude ‘off’ - at least in football and listening to kick ass rock music - when life changing events like that happen. But I digress.

THEN.

Backspacer. I’ve loved that record the first time I put it on. I’ve spent a crap-ton of the last 6 mos. reacquainting myself with the best band of my generation - the studio albums at least, I know I‘ve got a long way to go with all the boots. (!) But, quite frankly, I feel like a jackass for missing out on parts of the last 20 years. And, I guess the reason why I’ve wasted everyone’s time with my first post on The Porch is to explain that I don’t care that my no. is 444xxx, I happy to be home!

Now, feel free to shred me. :)
Thanks for you time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Very similar here.

The other weird thing is how PJ's albums have paralleled my life.

Ten when I was younger then vs. in high school - seemed to mirror my fucked up at-home family life.
    Vitalogy - also in high school, during a very introspective, artistic phase. Almost wore that thing out on vinyl.
    I also took a break during No Code and Yield. Didn't even own Yield until a few years ago when my hubby (then bf) bought it for me. Now it's right up there with the first 3. Can't believe I didn't dig it as much back then. What was I thinking?
    Binaural didn't do it for me either at first... and it's still not really my fave although there's some good stuff on there.
    Riot Act and then Avocado came out when I was going through a college/post college protesting, anti-corporate, anti-war stick it to the man phase. Quite appropriate.
    Which brings us to now and Backspacer. A very optimistic album during a really great, optimistic period in my life - a job I like, a good marriage, and a beautiful little girl.

Sigh. It's destiny. That's all I can really say about it.

My ten club # isn't what I wish it was either (325XXX), and I've only been to 6 shows during all that time, but like you say, I am SO happy to be home.
    Pepsi Center - Apr 1 '03, Jul 2-3 '06 | Grant Park - Aug 05 '07 | E Center - Sep 28 '09 | Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27 '09 | Sprint Center May 3 '10 | Scottrade Center May 4 '10 | Alpine Valley - Sep 3-4, '11 | Wrigley Field - July 19, '13 | Pepsi Center Oct 22, '14
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Dude, in like 5 years, you find yourself loving every DAMN song there ever wrote(except big wave), you've been reeled in, now your screwed :lol: you should check out -Into the Wild- sound track as well really nice. WB
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Great 1st post.

Yield :thumbup:
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925