Do you feel like buying CD's is a waste of money?

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I've been questioning myself lately, I mean, I buy the albums then they just sit there and don't get played because I play all music off my PC as MP3 files.
It's a bad habit I cannot break (blowing money on albums).
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Nope 8-)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,826
    I've been questioning myself lately, I mean, I buy the albums then they just sit there and don't get played because I play all music off my PC as MP3 files.
    It's a bad habit I cannot break (blowing money on albums).

I feel that way too sometimes. Which is why I rarely buy actual CDs anymore. I usually only buy the CD if its a badn I really like and I want to check out the artwork that comes with the album and that sort of thing. It has become way too easy to just click a few buttons on iTunes and have a new album within minutes.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    tybird wrote:
    Nope 8-)
    +1
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    tybird wrote:
    Nope 8-)
    +1
    this
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    I love buying Cds and especially vinyl. I drive alot so the CDs are my comfort in my work van
  • Hells no. I don't give a damn about artwork or anything like that but I just can't warm up to the idea of buying albums from itunes. I still like to have the "real thing"
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    tybird wrote:
    Nope 8-)
    +1
    this
    that
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Not at all. I love having a CD collection, and looking through other people's! Plus, I need something physical.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    cd rock.
    buy more discs people.

:)
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    when downloading started i thought it was great because of it's convenience...but what happened was downloading removed a major part of music for me which is holding the disc, reading the liner notes etc...it's just not the same on an ipod or computer...but i do love my ipod but i also love my growing vinyl collection too :mrgreen:
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    i like real CDs. i'll only get something off of itunes or amazon if it's hella cheap and isn't an artist i'm really devoted to. i like having physical CDs for bands i really love, especially for the artwork. there's nothing like holding it in your hands, the smell of the ink, brings the tactile into the aural world, can engage more senses that way :D
  • not totally

i buy the important stuff like all pj and rhcp and tool and lots of phish and neil and the who etc

important to me anyway, and i like supporting the band in that way and having that keepsake, something material to hold onto and remember

now with about +90% of my music collection, bootlets, singles, stuff i like but its only important to me to have the song and not the packaging...welll thats what dl'ing, burning etc is perfect for
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
    norm wrote:
    when downloading started i thought it was great because of it's convenience...but what happened was downloading removed a major part of music for me which is holding the disc, reading the liner notes etc...it's just not the same on an ipod or computer...but i do love my ipod but i also love my growing vinyl collection too :mrgreen:

norm you rock.
    that's how i feel, like you do.
    i love the lyrics and the other crap that comes with a disc.

i love throwing in a cd into a giant home stereo and rockin the house out.
    cd collection are badass... as in vinyl.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    A waste of money and space for me.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    i do love my ipod to pieces though, along with crafting playlists, lot easier to have everything in one place like that! i'm sentimental to my cds though, even though they take room, couldn't get rid of them. they're like owning books
  • I listen to most music through my ipod but i find its cheaper to buy cds then downloads plus i get to put the music on my computer which format and bit rate i choose. I often find a lot of illegal downloads are poor bit rate. Plus like everyone else i think the notes and artwork contribute to the experience of the music - even in some cases change your perception and emotion of it. Also i find it's handy to have a hard copy.
    I listen to most music through my ipod but i find its cheaper to buy cds then downloads plus i get to put the music on my computer which format and bit rate i choose. I often find a lot of illegal downloads are poor bit rate. Plus like everyone else i think the notes and artwork contribute to the experience of the music - even in some cases change your perception and emotion of it. Also i find it's handy to have a hard copy.

Yer alot of the stuff I have downloaded from sites is shit quality. But alot of that is laziness and a little to do with the fact most of my stuff is in the loft :( I never realised that downloading it would end up with lesser quality than putting it on from my cds, dont get me wrong I have some stuff that I dont own but owning the cd is cool in lots of ways
  • philthehip wrote:
    I listen to most music through my ipod but i find its cheaper to buy cds then downloads plus i get to put the music on my computer which format and bit rate i choose. I often find a lot of illegal downloads are poor bit rate. Plus like everyone else i think the notes and artwork contribute to the experience of the music - even in some cases change your perception and emotion of it. Also i find it's handy to have a hard copy.

Yer alot of the stuff I have downloaded from sites is shit quality. But alot of that is laziness and a little to do with the fact most of my stuff is in the loft :( I never realised that downloading it would end up with lesser quality than putting it on from my cds, dont get me wrong I have some stuff that I dont own but owning the cd is cool in lots of ways

Yeah i actually noticed today that a lot of the stuff on my ipod that i have illegally downloaded isn't as good quality as the stuff i transfer from my cds. My headphones are pretty decent so it's become quite noticable (Although i'm sure many people wouldn't)
    philthehip wrote:

Yeah i actually noticed today that a lot of the stuff on my ipod that i have illegally downloaded isn't as good quality as the stuff i transfer from my cds. My headphones are pretty decent so it's become quite noticable (Although i'm sure many people wouldn't)

That will be alot of what I sent you. Im in the process of putting my cds on the comp and deleting the mp3s I downloaded
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    I definitely listen to my iPod the most by far, but there's something awesome about having the tangible CD!
    Also I get them for the booklets.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    CD's are a great cheap backup for digital music.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • ok am i the only person who does not have an ipod. :|
    I don't either
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • yellowporchyellowporch Posts: 510
    I love buying cds, everything about them, they sound better in my car, than my ipod does, i love looking at the cd art work, and what the cd looks like, and when i import them to my ipod for when im on the go, its all organized. plus i just feel like its nice to buy them and listen to them all the way through from start to finish :geek:

theyre fun to look through in the store too.
    i <3 cds
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,839
    tybird wrote:
    Nope 8-)
    +1

+2
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    no support your favorite bands and buy their piece of art
    ok am i the only person who does not have an ipod. :|
    i do not nor have i ever owned an ipod.
    couldn't even tell ya how one works.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    pandora wrote:
    no support your favorite bands and buy their piece of art
    truer words have never been spoken.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    I love buying cds, everything about them, they sound better in my car, than my ipod does, i love looking at the cd art work, and what the cd looks like, and when i import them to my ipod for when im on the go, its all organized. plus i just feel like its nice to buy them and listen to them all the way through from start to finish :geek:

theyre fun to look through in the store too.
    i <3 cds

yep.
    shopping for cd's is a good time.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    norm wrote:

I agree with Norm. (Why do I almost always agree with Norm?)

But I also get weirdly paranoid about my iTunes library and iPod like suppose somebody steals them or Apple gets some weirdass virus and my whole music library gets wiped out. Yes I have an external hard drive, but sometimes they go all wacky too, right? I know I sound paranoid.