Albany NY?

pkh43pkh43 Posts: 253
edited March 2010 in The Porch
no love this time around. what a shame. could have played SPAC also?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nm262635nm262635 Posts: 19
    I hear that!!! But atleast they're close...I saw them in Seattle this past September on my way home from Alaska
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    oooh SPAC would have been lovely.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • pjinlove2pjinlove2 Posts: 18
    Not done giving up hope yet!!
  • AndoAndo Posts: 410
    Keep hope alive! it could be the TBA date as neither venue is booked for that day
  • 4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,224
    TBD is the 2nd night in Boston.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• pjinlove2pjinlove2 Posts: 18
    Heard on the radio in Albany this morning-big concert announcement today.....
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    SPAC would be fucking awesome, would definitely have to make a trip to my old stomping ground. Actually going to be in Albany next weekend but would have to make another trip.
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    welllllllllll??
  • Can't really complain too much. Half the tour is with in 3 hours of Albany.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    There's still a chance...

But would love SPAC!!
  • SPAC is actually a crappy place to see a show. Inadequate amount of bathrooms promotes mob mentality. Plus you have to go to the beer garden to drink which is so far away you can't hear the music.
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,243
    Plus you have to go to the beer garden to drink which is so far away you can't hear the music.

Not anymore
  • AndoAndo Posts: 410
    Might want to check this out facebookers:

http://www.facebook.com/TUCenter?v=wall

Albany arena making an announcement monday 9am??? what could it be??
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    May 12th could work?????... looks like the only option.....
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    May 12th could work?????... looks like the only option.....
    That'd be a 4 year anniversary of the 2006 show.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • EasyEEasyE Posts: 66
    SPAC is actually a crappy place to see a show. Inadequate amount of bathrooms promotes mob mentality. Plus you have to go to the beer garden to drink which is so far away you can't hear the music.

It's true. Without the pre-show party scene, SPAC would be useless to rock fans. Sound is bad. Traffic is bad. Bathrooms are bad. And people get wasted.

Having said that, Neil Young had a great show there in 2000 about two weeks before Pearl Jam sort of stumbled on the same stage. But the Neil Young show was a kind of adult contemporary crowd. And I think he played a set that was meant to match the warm summer night.

Pearl Jam made a good effort but in the end it was "Nobody's Fault But Mine" and I think Jeff was onstage laughing at that point. Eddie just took up his notebook, waved and left. Sometimes I wonder if the great 2006 Albany show was a kind of payback for SPAC 2000.

Anyway, for Pearl Jam, the Albany arena is best for many many reasons.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    EasyE wrote:
    SPAC is actually a crappy place to see a show. Inadequate amount of bathrooms promotes mob mentality. Plus you have to go to the beer garden to drink which is so far away you can't hear the music.

It's true. Without the pre-show party scene, SPAC would be useless to rock fans. Sound is bad. Traffic is bad. Bathrooms are bad. And people get wasted.

Having said that, Neil Young had a great show there in 2000 about two weeks before Pearl Jam sort of stumbled on the same stage. But the Neil Young show was a kind of adult contemporary crowd. And I think he played a set that was meant to match the warm summer night.

Pearl Jam made a good effort but in the end it was "Nobody's Fault But Mine" and I think Jeff was onstage laughing at that point. Eddie just took up his notebook, waved and left. Sometimes I wonder if the great 2006 Albany show was a kind of payback for SPAC 2000.

You guys are nuts. SPAC is an amphitheater. it was built for sound. It's actually a fantastic venue for sound quality, they've built larger bathroom areas (although it takes away from the lawn), and beer is now allowed everywhere as Live Nation talked them into doing away with the beer garden. There will always be traffic issues, but going early, hanging out in the park wandering around and cooking food is one of the the best things about the place. The grounds are gorgeous.

Albany's Times Union Center was not built for sound, it was built for sports. The sound quality in there is pretty poor. But I'd take it over nothing.
  • I am coming back for a few of the shows, but would love back where I grew up to see one in my hometown. Hopefully that Monday announcement will be for a PJ show!!!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • EasyEEasyE Posts: 66
    Jeanwah wrote:
    EasyE wrote:

You guys are nuts. SPAC is an amphitheater. it was built for sound. It's actually a fantastic venue for sound quality, they've built larger bathroom areas (although it takes away from the lawn), and beer is now allowed everywhere as Live Nation talked them into doing away with the beer garden. There will always be traffic issues, but going early, hanging out in the park wandering around and cooking food is one of the the best things about the place. The grounds are gorgeous.

Albany's Times Union Center was not built for sound, it was built for sports. The sound quality in there is pretty poor. But I'd take it over nothing.

You've got some great points about SPAC. The park is spectacular for pre-show parties.

But the rock concert sound sucks in the first level back half under the shed and on the lawn. The Albany arena was built mostly for sports but for the big rock concert sound, it's better than SPAC. Maybe SPAC does better with jazz and chamber music, I don't know.

There are many, many amphitheaters that outshine SPAC for rock sound.

Also, in the Albany area, The Palace, The Egg and Troy Savings Bank Music Hall dominate both major venues in terms of acoustics. Given Vedder's time spent in Albany last June, it's not totally out the question that Pearl Jam would get a private tour of the Troy Hall before their May concert at the arena.

It'd be sweet if they brought guitars and a film crew. Wasted Reprise on the big organ into a lightly amplified Life Wasted? Long Road? Here is the Hall: http://www.rensco.com/images/music.jpg
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    SPAC is better for... well... better for many bands than Pepsi Arena. That May show, if it happens, will not be at SPAC. Forecast: 100%
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I was hoping for an Albany show instead of Buffalo.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925