PJ tour news featured on Pitchfork

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited March 2010 in The Porch
or at least the dates with BOH. They even have a picture for the story, of the boys. why of why, PJ, did you not do press with the indie press for backspacer? I still am clueless as to the marketing non strategy that was used here. if the indie press usually covers your music, why not do press with them, or by god, as a innovative band, why not do press even with those outlets that would be less receptive to your work as its not indie enough?

ed and the guys have said, in print, and its verifiable, that they wanted backspacer to sell. they wanted to sell records. the idea that they didnt care about numbers for this record, is out of the question. so what do you do as a band to make that happen? oh, you talk to MTV, Rolling stone, Spin, get a song played on ONE TV SHOW. Wow a hell of a marketing strategy! I am right there with the guys. I wanted Backspacer to sell as many copies, and to make this band as big as a band in 2010 can get.

but lets be clear, you dont do it, the way they did it. the band shaped me, my politics, my views, helped me cope, is the soundtrack to my youth. but they are human. they make mistakes. this is one of them.

What is with a band as savvy as PJ, being so clueless about how to market a record? They need to call Thom Yorke stat!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,033
    This record still has legs on it... It's only 6 months old.. They are still touring behind it.. SNL.. They will probably release atleast one more single.. How long was the last Kings of Leon record out before it became a smash hit? These things rarely happen over night. The initial success was just off of their faithful fanbase.. I feel that this record will rise up again on the chart once radio embraces another single. The band doesn't have to whore themselves out to every media outlet in order to try and make more cash.. It's a marathon, not a sprint.. Hang in their buddy..
  • most alternative rock music fans only know what is being played on radio sad to say.....i'm sure force of nature or whatever song is chosen as the next single will give it more legs, along with the 2010 touring....
    Kansas City 1998, Kansas City 2000, EV- Santa Cruz 2008, EV- Berkeley #1 2008, EV- Berkeley #2 2008, Outside Lands 2009, Seattle #2 2009, Portland 2009, LA #3 2009, LA #4 2009, SD 2009, KC 2010, STL 2010, CBUS 2010, Indy 2010, Cle 2010, Buffalo 2010, Boston 2010, Newark 2010, MSG 1 2010, MSG 2 2010, PJ20 1 2011, PJ20 2 2011, Midtown 2012, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013, OKC 2013, STL 2014, Tulsa 2014, Lincoln 2014.
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I'll never understand a lot of things this band does, despite how much I love them. Pretty much ignoring all the typical motives to promote an album, rarely tour in anywhere outside of Philly, NY, and Boston...
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • i thought Pitchfork hated them
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    anytime i have backspacer on in my truck a friend will say, "what is this pearl jam? i didn't know they had new stuff"

casual music fans barely know it exists
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    musicismylife... you wanted the record to sell, but most of your posts indicate you don't actually buy music. Maybe they figure most 'indie' fans are like that, and decided it wasn't worth it.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    MrSmith wrote:
    i thought Pitchfork hated them

Exactly! While I enjoy some of what Pitchfork has to say, they can be a little too hipster for me at times.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Forgot to mention I hate Pitchfork. I've never seen an organization or person beat it to Radiohead as much as they do. They just piss me off in general - way too pretentious and hipster.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • drew0 wrote:
    Forgot to mention I hate Pitchfork. I've never seen an organization or person beat it to Radiohead as much as they do. They just piss me off in general - way too pretentious and hipster.

modest mouse, as well.
  • people love to hate pitchfork. most likely its because it is powerful, the most powerful medium in music today. broken social scene, tapes n tapes, arcade fire, clap your hands, and so on, all owe pitchfork a massive debt. anyone can take shots at a bohemoth like pitchfork.

the point is, i read p4k religously. daily. and they did numerous posts about pj, backspacer news, tour stuff, in the lead up to backspacer. stereogum did the same thing. both stereogum and p4k, arent huge fans. yet they still did coverage for them. stereogum even did a premature evaluation of backspacer, which means they got a copy of the album before it was released and posted a review of it. they get press. they get ink.

and is that what it comes to nowadays, bands only doing press with things that like them? Again, proves my point. how does a band sell a ton of records, promoting a record only to outlets that like them? what insane logic is that,

keep on rocking, i dont follow your logic. the stated goal of promoting backspacer was to sell a ton of records. the band was pissed off at years of people asking when are you gonna put out a new record, being asked this, mind you when they had just released one. so they wanted this baby to sell.

lets move on to the dirty here. You are PJ, in 2009, promoting a new record. what do you do? Who do you do press with and who dont you? If the stated goal is to sell some records this time, how is that strategy implemented? Is it possible for a band to have integrity and still play the game like these new bands are playing it, in terms of promotion and marketing? Because of cd declining sales, what model do you follow? Knowing that most people aint gonna go to the cd store to buy a new record, where do most people get music legally these days? How do you funnel that? How do you market to that?

these discussions may have taken place, but the band failed in marketing backspacer. the game isnt played the same as it was in 1992.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    What I'm saying is maybe appealing to an older fanbase (i.e older magazines) is more cost effective cause older people might be less likely to download?

Plus I agree, although Pitchfork has some good stuff, I'm not their biggest fan.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • people love to hate pitchfork. most likely its because it is powerful, the most powerful medium in music today. broken social scene, tapes n tapes, arcade fire, clap your hands, and so on, all owe pitchfork a massive debt. anyone can take shots at a bohemoth like pitchfork.

I think you're giving PF a little too much credit as being a behemoth in the music industry. They're a blip on the radar like the bands you mentioned (except for the Arcade Fire)

I follow a lot of music and am "in the know" on most things and I couldn't tell you a single song by BSS, Tapes N Tapes, or Clap your hands and say Yeah. Doesn't mean they're not good, it just means they're not mainstream. Pitchfork caters to the indie/hipster crowd for the most part. They would still scoff at Pearl Jam even if it's on Pitchfork. Pearl Jam is mainstream, they need to cater to those interests first.

It's like seeing Sean Penn on the Hannity show or something. Doesn't make much sense.
    NERDS!
  • slingsling Posts: 169
    It may be that PJ isn't "cool" enough for Pitchfork to WANT to do that much more with them & that it's not PJ's choice. (Who knows)

Maybe I'm not looking at the right article, but the one I'm seeing on Pitchfork talking about the PJ tour has more of an emphasis on Band of Horses being their opener. The pic is of Band of Horses & the tour date list is theirs. (including dates with other groups) It looks like they might not even have mentioned the PJ tour if it wasn't for their "approving" of the opening band.