Kansas City hotels?

jambayleafjambayleaf Posts: 646
edited April 2010 in The Porch
Anything next to the venue that may do group rates anyone?
So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
You're batman!- George
Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    I am not sure...I need to look into a hotel myself...I have never seen pearl jam this areana..Just have seen them twice at Sandstone amp {I think it was call?}...Which I think it is called Verizion Wirelesss amp..

I will go on hotwire and checkout what is available..
  • I'll be flying in from NO with my brother, is downtown a decent place to stay? You never know coming from out of town...
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
  • I was wondering the same thing... I'm now looking at KC for my one show since 2006, and was wondering if "downtown Kansas City" was ok to get a hotel at.... I know nothing about the area. Think it's possible to fly in, get an airport shuttle to the hotel, and walk/cab to the venue without renting a car? Or is car rental easier for that area/airport/venue etc?
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • pjungerspjungers Posts: 77
    Okay, here's the lowdown. The show in KC is being held at the Sprint Center. When the city built this new arena (just a couple years old, I believe) they also build an entire bar area around it called The Power And Light District. Basically, it's a huge outdoor area (almost like a mall) where they check your ID at the entrance and you just walk into any bar you want. There's an irish pub, piano bar, sports bar....whatever you want, it's there.

Now, because this is a big tourist area, there are also plenty of hotels. There's a Marriott, Hyatt, Radisson, etc. There will be plenty of rooms, especially on a Monday night. Weekend nights can get crazy, but I think you'll all be good for this show.

Tons of nice restaurants around there too, so make a trip out of it. The Flying Saucer would make for a good pre-party, but I don't know who plans those things. Huge bar with hundreds of beers on tap and only a couple blocks from the arena.

Hope this helps!
  • I posted this somewhere else, but I'll post it here too..my sis is a Sheraton employee and I'm workin on a group rate for the KC/STL shows. I'll keep you posted.
    Pepsi Center - Apr 1 '03, Jul 2-3 '06 | Grant Park - Aug 05 '07 | E Center - Sep 28 '09 | Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27 '09 | Sprint Center May 3 '10 | Scottrade Center May 4 '10 | Alpine Valley - Sep 3-4, '11 | Wrigley Field - July 19, '13 | Pepsi Center Oct 22, '14
  • Slow MoeSlow Moe Posts: 87
    otis80085 wrote:
    ... The Flying Saucer would make for a good pre-party, but I don't know who plans those things. Huge bar with hundreds of beers on tap and only a couple blocks from the arena. <CLIP>

Hope this helps!

In Columbia, SC '08 they had the pre-party at The Flying Saucer a few blocks from the venue & that was one of the funnest I've been to. Seattle last year was the best, in my limited experience.
    Wrigley Field (Chicago) 7/19/13, Pacific Coliseum (Vancouver) 9/25/11, ScottTrade Center (St. Louis) 5/4/10, Sprint Center (KC) 5/3/10, Wachovia Spectrum Arena (Philadelphia) - 10/31/09, Key Arena (Seattle) - 9/22/09, Key Arena (Seattle) - 9/21/09, United Center (Chicago) - 8/24/09, United Center (Chicago) - 8/23/09, Colonial Center (Columbia, SC) - 6/16/08, The Vic Theatre (Chicago) - 8/02/07, Pepsi Center (Denver) - 7/02/06

Actually come to think of it, I just might be a puddle full of detriment.
  • kevinbeetlekevinbeetle Posts: 358
    im in kc all the time for work. look in the independence area. its about 30 minutes from the airport, about 15 minutes from downtown, five minutes past arrowhead and kaufmann stadium. might be a little cheaper. i stay at the hilton. i get a discounted rate, but i believe you can get a room for $109/night. there's also a residence in and marriott hotel nearby. ive also stayed at the hilton by the airport. room rates are the same, i believe.

definitely hang in the p&l beforehand. its right across the street. best bet would be to go to mcfaddens. the irish bar is cool too, and if you're into bourbon, check out the maker's mark bar, but dress accordingly. the flying saucer doesnt have much room inside if a lot of people want to eat together. angels rock bar would be a decent place to hang afterwards. or you can just hang outside on the patio. there's a big screen tv there, and im sure the local radio station (98.9) will be broadcasting live.

car rental would be easiest. alamo, enterprise, dollar are all right at the airport. might cost you $40 per day. just sign up ahead of time to get the preferred card. as far as touristy spots, theres not much really this time of year. i would just walk around the downtown area and the plaza. jack stacks bbq is decent if you want to experience kc bbq, but i think its overrated. theres also a boulevard brewery and harley davidson factory tour if youre into that. the royals are out of town that week. not sure if they do stadium tours.
  • Sorry if you've seen this already on one of the other threads - but here is the link to the group rate I worked out with the Westin hotel in KC. $79 which is a $140 discount from their normal rate of $219!

http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGrou ... &key=9A136
    Pepsi Center - Apr 1 '03, Jul 2-3 '06 | Grant Park - Aug 05 '07 | E Center - Sep 28 '09 | Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27 '09 | Sprint Center May 3 '10 | Scottrade Center May 4 '10 | Alpine Valley - Sep 3-4, '11 | Wrigley Field - July 19, '13 | Pepsi Center Oct 22, '14
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Sorry if you've seen this already on one of the other threads - but here is the link to the group rate I worked out with the Westin hotel in KC. $79 which is a $140 discount from their normal rate of $219!

Awesome. That sounds pretty good to me. I think that is close to Union Station. We don't want to drive on Tuesday back to St. Louis so we are driving to St. Louis area and are going to take AmTrak to Kansas City and then back to St. Louis. I hate that drive between KC and St. Louis on I70. It is a tiring one due to all of the traffic. With AAA total roundtrip for two people is $93.60. Between parking and gasoline for our truck it isn't that much more to take the train and nap.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • kableskables Posts: 3
    I got a room at the Q Hotel near the Sprint Center. They have a complimetary shuttle to/from the Sprint Center.

I've never stayed there before, so hopefully it's ok!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Sorry if you've seen this already on one of the other threads - but here is the link to the group rate I worked out with the Westin hotel in KC. $79 which is a $140 discount from their normal rate of $219!

I see its just the one night so probably need to make 2 separate reservations if arriving Sunday- it wouldn't let me put in 2 days on that reservation form
    I got the message below. I guess because I tried to reserve for two nights. Will they not let us have Sunday night for $79.00 I wonder. Maybe if we call.

The Westin Crown Center, Kansas City - “This group block is fully committed – please first check your meeting dates to verify they match the dates you entered. If block is sold out, please go to www.westin.com/kansascity to book the best available retail rate.”

No rooms are available for the criteria provided. Please try your search again.
    - The bed type preference you specified was unavailable. Click here to notify the p
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • I got the message below. I guess because I tried to reserve for two nights. Will they not let us have Sunday night for $79.00 I wonder. Maybe if we call.

The Westin Crown Center, Kansas City - “This group block is fully committed – please first check your meeting dates to verify they match the dates you entered. If block is sold out, please go to http://www.westin.com/kansascity to book the best available retail rate.”

- The bed type preference you specified was unavailable. Click here to notify the p

I think this is fixed now. We didn't include Sunday, but now there are a few rooms on that date also. Try again and let me know if you're still getting an error...
    It worked! Thanks again.
    I got the message below. I guess because I tried to reserve for two nights. Will they not let us have Sunday night for $79.00 I wonder. Maybe if we call.

The Westin Crown Center, Kansas City - “This group block is fully committed – please first check your meeting dates to verify they match the dates you entered. If block is sold out, please go to http://www.westin.com/kansascity to book the best available retail rate.”

I think this is fixed now. We didn't include Sunday, but now there are a few rooms on that date also. Try again and let me know if you're still getting an error...
    All good fir 2 nites thanks again so much :)
  • ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
    Hey guys, KC native here. Tons of hotels around. To the poster about Union Station, it is relatively close, I think a cab ride might be around 10-15 bucks.

Just a fair warning, the public trans system in KC SUCKS...(just buses, which are always late. We have been fighting for a train for years, but it hasn't happened yet) So walk or taxi. The address is 1407 Grand Boulevard Kansas City, MO 64106. If you search around there you will have no problem finding a hotel within walking distance. The area is called the "Power & Light District" Tons of bars, and multiple lodging options (Downtown Marriot & Crowne Plaza immediately come to mind) Also, it is real easy to get around the city, so if you wish, rent a car, you will have no problems.

For cheaper prices, the poster who mentioned Independence as an option is correct. However, there is nothing to do in Independence just to let you know.

Feel free to ask me more questions if need be. I am happy to help. i can give suggestions for stuff to do before and after the show.
  • ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
    One more thing, the airport is about 20 minutes north of the city, so if you don't rent a car, you will def. need a taxi.
  • Sorry if you've seen this already on one of the other threads - but here is the link to the group rate I worked out with the Westin hotel in KC. $79 which is a $140 discount from their normal rate of $219!

FYI - our rate is only good until April 16th so make sure you get it now if you haven't already!!!

FYI - our rate is only good until April 16th so make sure you get it now if you haven't already!!!
    Thanks again for arranging that. That's an awesome price for a very nice hotel and has really helped us out. Hopefully see you at the bar? then we can buy you one :D
  • RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    For people who don't care about being downtown, will have a car and are looking for CHEAP. I found America's Best Value Inn at 11801 Blue Ridge Blvd. It is $31.11 with all the taxes. Base rate was $28 something. You have to get a value card, but it is no big deal. You can apply on line and print it out before you make the reservation. This saves you 15% at any Best Value Inn in the country. There is a pool. It is 14.35 miles or 20 minutes from the venue.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Hotel Phillips
    106 West 12Th Street
    Kansas City, MO 64105
    816-221-7000

Priceline win $60 - 4 star and 2 blocks from P&L, 3 from Sprint Center

Thanks so much for setting up that block! That is an incredible deal. I booked it a couple weeks ago.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • jambayleafjambayleaf Posts: 646
    Wife and I also got Westin through here. Thanks so much to whoever set that up!
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
  • No prob everybody - it was my pleasure to set that up. It looks like there are at least 50 of us staying there so we should have a blast!

Less than three weeks!!! ;)
    party at the bar! I have found hotel bartenders absolutely love Pearl Jam fans!
  • Am I the last one to get the great deal at the Westin? I was able to book it about an hour ago.

Thanks for setting things up, As the Earth to the Sun!
    I was there...
    PJ - 8/15/2000, 4/23/03, 6/18/03, 10/3/04, 9/11/05, 6/30/06, 8/5/07, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/3/10, 5/4/10, 9/4/11, 7/19/13, 10/3/14, 10/17/14, 10/19/14, 10/20/14, 4/16/16, 8/7/16, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, 6/18/18, 6/24/18, 6/26/18, 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/1/22, 9/3/22, 8/31/23, 9/2/23, 9/5/23, 9/7/23, 9/13/23, 9/15/23, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 5/16/24, 5/18/24
    EV - 11/30/12, 12/1/12, 2/10/22, 10/7/22
    Sox - 10/22/05, 10/23/05, 9/30/08, 7/23/09, 8/12/21
  • IntoTheSun wrote:
    Am I the last one to get the great deal at the Westin? I was able to book it about an hour ago.

Thanks for setting things up, As the Earth to the Sun!

I don't know if you're the last one, but probably getting pretty close. Givin' this thread one more [bump] since this is the absolute last day to book with the group rate!
  • GB45499GB45499 Posts: 232
    It's closed. :( Thanks for putting that together tho!