Help about New York City

Satans Red MosquitoSatans Red Mosquito Posts: 763
edited March 2010 in The Porch
I'm from a small town outside of Nashville, I'm going to Columbus and Indy without a doubt, but I want to take my gf of two years to the shows in NYC, but I have some questions/fears.

1. How impossible will it be on Tuesday to get 10c tickets to the shows?

2. How scary of a town is it to be in especially after the show? (remember, I am from a small town in Tennessee)

3. I have a friend that lives in New Jersey that will probably give us a place to stay, but we will have to take a hour and half train ride into town, does anybody know how hard and far MSG is from I'm assuming Grand Central Station? (Unless some jammer wants to open a room for me and my girlfriend at a cheap price, I promise we won't fuck on your sheets)
Shows Attended
2008 - Bonnaroo
2009 - Chicago 1
2010 - St Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis, Washington D.C
2011 - Pearl Jam Twenty Festival
2012 - Music Midtown Festival
2013 - Wrigley, Dallas, Oklahoma City
2014 - St. Louis, Memphis
2016- Greenville, Lexington, Bonnaroo, Wrigley 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    msg is right above penn station so, it is as convenient as it gets ... you're gonna have 20,000 leaving the same time you are so, safety shouldn't be an issue ...
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    I'm from a small town outside of Nashville, I'm going to Columbus and Indy without a doubt, but I want to take my gf of two years to the shows in NYC, but I have some questions/fears.

2. How scary of a town is it to be in especially after the show? (remember, I am from a small town in Tennessee)

3. I have a friend that lives in New Jersey that will probably give us a place to stay, but we will have to take a hour and half train ride into town, does anybody know how hard and far MSG is from I'm assuming Grand Central Station? (Unless some jammer wants to open a room for me and my girlfriend at a cheap price, I promise we won't fuck on your sheets)

Put your fears aside. If you stay near the Garden you shouldn't have any issues. I was just up in NYC for a show in January and stayed in Times Square and had to walk to the NW corner of Hells Kitchen to Terminal 5, no problems either way. Well, we did freeze our asses off! ;)

Just get a map and familiarize yourself with some of the area so you are not so over-whelmed when you get there. That's what I did for Seattle and Chicago last summer. Good Luck!
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • 1. - this one may be pretty hard depending on your internet connection. If that's like super fast, and you refresh accordingly, you may have a shot.
    2. - MSG is not in Afghanistan or Beirut or Iran, nor or there man-eating beasts roaming around, so unless thousands of drunk/happy fans are scary to you, then you have nothing to worry about.
    3. - IF you're coming from Jersey, I'm pretty sure you'll be let out from the PATH train at Penn Station, which is underneath MSG. It can't be more convenient, unless you have teleportation abilities. You gotta check this out as I'm not Google and haven't done it in a while.
    4. - If somebody is letting you and your girl stay overnight, and they are not your or her parents and it is not her "time of the month", I think it is understood that fucking on sheets is pretty much a done deal. Just don't be an animal and offer to/leave money for cleaning.

Hope this helps!
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    It's New York... not Philly.

That's right. I said it.

:lol:
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775

1 - very
    2 - very
    3 - very
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    does anybody know how hard and far MSG is from I'm assuming Grand Central Station?

a cab ride from Grand Central might be easiest.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    CJMST3K wrote:

That's right. I said it.

ha! so right.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    1. - this one may be pretty hard depending on your internet connection. If that's like super fast, and you refresh accordingly, you may have a shot.
    2. - MSG is not in Afghanistan or Beirut or Iran, nor or there man-eating beasts roaming around, so unless thousands of drunk/happy fans are scary to you, then you have nothing to worry about.
    3. - IF you're coming from Jersey, I'm pretty sure you'll be let out from the PATH train at Penn Station, which is underneath MSG. It can't be more convenient, unless you have teleportation abilities. You gotta check this out as I'm not Google and haven't done it in a while.
    4. - If somebody is letting you and your girl stay overnight, and they are not your or her parents and it is not her "time of the month", I think it is understood that fucking on sheets is pretty much a done deal. Just don't be an animal and offer to/leave money for cleaning.

Hope this helps!

i live here and you cleared up a few things for me.
  • teemanteeman Posts: 337
    1. - this one may be pretty hard depending on your internet connection. If that's like super fast, and you refresh accordingly, you may have a shot.

Hope this helps!

I agree with this dude. Plus there are lots of good bars/restaurants right around the garden. Just follow the stickmen, they'll lead the way.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    CJMST3K wrote:
    does anybody know how hard and far MSG is from I'm assuming Grand Central Station?

a cab ride from Grand Central might be easiest.

dislike.

buy a tallboy, dress it up in a brown bag and take the walk. it will be may, the weather will be nice.

8 blocks south, a few avenues west and bam!
  • CJMST3K wrote:

That's right. I said it.

ouch sir, i sincerly hope you mean camden :D
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    CJMST3K wrote:

That's right. I said it.

ouch sir, i sincerly hope you mean camden :D

there's a diffrence? :lol:
  • Bump for an add. info
    Shows Attended
    2008 - Bonnaroo
    2009 - Chicago 1
    2010 - St Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis, Washington D.C
    2011 - Pearl Jam Twenty Festival
    2012 - Music Midtown Festival
    2013 - Wrigley, Dallas, Oklahoma City
    2014 - St. Louis, Memphis
    2016- Greenville, Lexington, Bonnaroo, Wrigley 1
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    tickets will be tough-but who knows how many seats they have been able to secure this time around-but where there is a will there is a way-keep in mind 10c seats at MSG are generally farther back than you might get elsewhere
    you have nothing to worry about in the city as long as you are smart
    you can walk many more places than you think if you are an active individual
    dont smoke weed or drink beer on the street near the venue-TRUST ME
    nj trains leave directly from MSG-just check the times and make sure you dont miss the last one-4am at penn station with a hangover, while an interesting experience, is no fun.
    of course, I suggest springing for a Hotel in the city so you and your girl can enjoy the city, get some quality grub, see the best band on the planet, and hump like rabbits in private.
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    CJMST3K wrote:

That's right. I said it.

oh now that is FUNNY because right before I read this, I was thinking the EXACT same thing!!!
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • ElusiveElusive Posts: 203
    To get to NJ you will need to take a train from Penn Station, which is under MSG...super fucking easy. Where in Jersey are you going? I'm coming from Monmouth County. I can give ya'll a ride, if you're going back down here. NYC is definitely not scary, no matter how small your town is. Also, with all the fans around, it makes it even less scary....just more people to talk to about the band, the show, etc. You'll make friends.
    NY 4/17/94, NY 9/28/96,Camden 9/2/00, Philly 4/28/03,Camden 7/5/03, 7/6/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Holmdel 7/14/03, Reading 10/1/04, Camden 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07, Camden 6/19/08, 6/20/08, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, EV solo 8/5/08, 8/7/09,6/11/09,6/12/09, Chicago 8/24/09, Philly 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, Newark 5/18/10, MSG 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, EV Solo 6/21/11, 6/22/2016, PJ20, Brooklyn 10/18/13, 10/19/13, Philly 10/21/13, 10/22/13, Philly 4/28/2016, NYC
  • ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    CJMST3K wrote:

That's right. I said it.

oh now that is FUNNY because right before I read this, I was thinking the EXACT same thing!!!
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Can't wait to show this to my husband! We used to live in Philly. I couldn't wait to move back to Manhattan. He still says Philly's not so bad. This exchange pretty much sums up my argument against him. :lol::lol::lol:
  • ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    Oh, maybe I could actually try to say something helpful (or at least relevant) to your predicament.

Totally safe. I'd feel safer leaving MSG than I would in most cities or suburbs. I've lived in Manhattan for the better part of the last 20 years.

And you're making a great decision by coming. PJ and NYC are two of the most awesome beings in the world. You're going to have a fun trip.
  • Get_Right wrote:
    tickets will be tough-but who knows how many seats they have been able to secure this time around-but where there is a will there is a way-keep in mind 10c seats at MSG are generally farther back than you might get elsewhere
    you have nothing to worry about in the city as long as you are smart
    you can walk many more places than you think if you are an active individual
    dont smoke weed or drink beer on the street near the venue-TRUST ME
    nj trains leave directly from MSG-just check the times and make sure you dont miss the last one-4am at penn station with a hangover, while an interesting experience, is no fun.
    of course, I suggest springing for a Hotel in the city so you and your girl can enjoy the city, get some quality grub, see the best band on the planet, and hump like rabbits in private.

Remember when you get to New York you can throw your garbage anywhere.