Time change. Again.

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    Fuck daylight savings! It's already past 1?! :fp: :x
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    That was some bullshit
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    JaneNY wrote:
    3weeks? For 1 hour?

Do you never stay up past your bedtime?

Do you never have to wake up early for something?

Are all your trips 4 weeks, so you can adjust? :?

Staying up late isn't the problem - having to get up at what now feels like the middle of the night is. (8am Complex Analysis class tomorrow I'm looking at you) Sorry we can't all adjust as easily as you. :?

Oh! You're in school. I don't recall time existing when I was in college. I also found most classes to be optional. Eh. Kids these days. :lol:

I will ask again, though - so if you stay up an hour later than normal, you have no trouble getting up, but bc the clock changed that lost hour now makes a difference?

EDIT: and who the hell picks an 8am class in college?
    :lol:

i think the issue with her is now having to wake up while it's dark again? if that's the case, i can understand.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i hate this bullshit...can't we just stay on this time cycle.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    My morning jog is now in complete darkness. F!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Once again, the oft-dreaded daylight saving time change is upon us. The day that the clocks “spring” forward also inevitably takes a spring out of our step.

Sure, the birds seem to chirp a little later, the sunlight shines a little less as we drag ourselves through the morning routine. But as study after study has shown, that seems to be about the only highlight in those first days after the change.

According to the Better Sleep Council, a nonprofit organization supported by mattress manufacturers, 61% of U.S. adults say daylight saving time affects their work the Monday after the changeover.

In a survey of 1,038 adults, the immediate effects of losing an hour of shuteye affected everything from people’s moods to eating and driving habits.

About 29% of those surveyed said it takes a week to adjust to the change, with adults between 18 and 34 needing the most time to get with the new program. (But let’s face it: those at the younger end of that range may struggle to get out of bed regardless.)

But don’t just take the mattress industry’s word for it. A number of studies over the last 13 years have highlighted the range of health consequences of people ill-prepared to start their morning routine just 60 minutes earlier.

According to a 2008 Swedish study, there’s a 6% to 10% increase in heart attacks in the first three workdays after the start of daylight saving time. An Australian study the same year concluded that men were more likely to commit suicide in the first few weeks after the switch, and a 2000 study in the journal Accident Analysis & Prevention showed accidents in Sweden increased by 11% the Monday after the change.

Even your bank account can take a hit from the time change. A 2011 study notes that not only are stock markets more volatile the Monday after a time change, it usually leads to negative returns.

But sleep experts say all it takes to minimize the effects is a bit of preparation. People should start going to sleep earlier for several days before the change (it’s Friday so better late than never), and set their clocks ahead the night before.

Otherwise, you could end up like some of the respondents in that Better Sleep Council survey. Some of the more unusual mishaps from the time change included going to an ATM to order food, getting into the shower with underwear on and putting on clothes inside out.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    81 wrote:
    Once again, the oft-dreaded daylight saving time change is upon us. The day that the clocks “spring” forward also inevitably takes a spring out of our step.

Sure, the birds seem to chirp a little later, the sunlight shines a little less as we drag ourselves through the morning routine. But as study after study has shown, that seems to be about the only highlight in those first days after the change.

According to the Better Sleep Council, a nonprofit organization supported by mattress manufacturers, 61% of U.S. adults say daylight saving time affects their work the Monday after the changeover.

In a survey of 1,038 adults, the immediate effects of losing an hour of shuteye affected everything from people’s moods to eating and driving habits.

About 29% of those surveyed said it takes a week to adjust to the change, with adults between 18 and 34 needing the most time to get with the new program. (But let’s face it: those at the younger end of that range may struggle to get out of bed regardless.)

But don’t just take the mattress industry’s word for it. A number of studies over the last 13 years have highlighted the range of health consequences of people ill-prepared to start their morning routine just 60 minutes earlier.

According to a 2008 Swedish study, there’s a 6% to 10% increase in heart attacks in the first three workdays after the start of daylight saving time. An Australian study the same year concluded that men were more likely to commit suicide in the first few weeks after the switch, and a 2000 study in the journal Accident Analysis & Prevention showed accidents in Sweden increased by 11% the Monday after the change.

Even your bank account can take a hit from the time change. A 2011 study notes that not only are stock markets more volatile the Monday after a time change, it usually leads to negative returns.

But sleep experts say all it takes to minimize the effects is a bit of preparation. People should start going to sleep earlier for several days before the change (it’s Friday so better late than never), and set their clocks ahead the night before.

Otherwise, you could end up like some of the respondents in that Better Sleep Council survey. Some of the more unusual mishaps from the time change included going to an ATM to order food, getting into the shower with underwear on and putting on clothes inside out.

Dude?
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Have today off! Like a boss!
    don't forget to change your board clock

ucp.php?i=165

:fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Have today off! Like a boss!

Lucky bastard!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    Its been a running joke with me and my employer for years, I always say on the Friday before springing forward, "I'm going to be late Monday".
    I don't use an alarm clock, wake up naturally and this stupidity F's me up every year.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Poncier wrote:
    Its been a running joke with me and my employer for years, I always say on the Friday before springing forward, "I'm going to be late Monday".
    I don't use an alarm clock, wake up naturally and this stupidity F's me up every year.

I'm going to use that for everything now!

"Sorry I'm late/absent/missing, I wake up naturally."
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    Poncier wrote:

I'm going to use that for everything now!

"Sorry I'm late/absent/missing, I wake up naturally."

:lol::lol:
    I worked with a guy who was constantly coming in 30 or more minutes late.
    I was his boss, and said to him: "I need you to be here before 9am"
    he said, "Thats not convenient for me."

No excuse, no explanation. If he's just have said he wakes up naturally, I might have thought it over.
    He was fired.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    When we lived in Indiana we didn't observe daylight savings.....

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/En ... y-or-money

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120406767043794825.html

It was very strange for me...
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    norm wrote:
    this saturday :x

Jack_sad.gif
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    we have a legislator here in red state utah who sees this as just another example of the feds telling us what to do....AND WE'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT!!!!!! :roll:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    we have a legislator here in red state utah who sees this as just another example of the feds telling us what to do....AND WE'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT!!!!!! :roll:

it's true...the american government is in charge of the rotation of the earth and the entire solar system as a whole...your citizens are fighting the good fight
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:
    this saturday :x

Jack_sad.gif

Is it? I almost always forget to do this!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    yay for an extra hour of sleep...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    wait... what?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :cry: Stop the madness! I can't take it :x
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Fall back is better than spring forward.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • PandaTantrum.gif

PandaTantrum.gif

this
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    yay for an extra hour of sleep...

this.

although in reality we're really only getting back the hour we gave up in spring for DST.
    still feels good though.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Fall back is better than spring forward.
    Totally agree. I don't mind this time change, as much. For a few days, it will be light when I get up and go to work! Truly I hate this time of year...from November until Dec 21 when the days are so short it sucks!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    The extra sleep is nice, but it's not worth it being fully dark out when I leave work. :(
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    The extra sleep is nice, but it's not worth it being fully dark out when I leave work. :(

but for early risers, it sucks going into work in the frickin dark
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • I'm not going to sleep an extra hour...I'll just be up for another hour :fp:

• Fall back! Awesome! An extra hour of beer!