Columbus Show

mrshock13mrshock13 Posts: 472
edited March 2010 in The Porch
I'm a Cleveland native, but I'm in Columbus for school (OSU, GO BUCKS!) I can't make the clev. show b/c I have classes at 10 a.m. monday morning, so I'm probably going to try for Columbus. It's a 5 min. walk to the arena from my house anyways, so it works. Anyone going, or planning on going, to the Columbus show?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    i have seen them at Quicken Loans Arena..

i was wondering what the Nationwide Arena would be like . from what i have read its bigger then Quicken Loans.

why couldn't they just play f--ing Detroit .

going to one or the other . any info on that arena in Columbus would be cool . thanks ;)
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,618
    I hope to be at both the Columbus and Cleve shows. I don't know which arena is bigger. I saw PJ at the Q in 2006, and I have been a to a couple shows at Nationwide. But, considering I sat on the floor in 06, and will hopefully be doing the same for these shows, size doesn't matter to me as I should be close enough. I do like Nationwide though, I don't think there is a bad seat for hockey games, but a concert might be different.

According to Wikipedia, as I just checked, Nationwide holds just over 18,100 for hockey games, while the Q holds over 20,500 for bball games, so I guess the Q must be a little bigger,
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    I'm planning on Columbus, Indy & Cleveland...that is if the site doesn't crash & I miss out on tickets! :lol:
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    If I can make it to any show on the tour, it's gonna be Columbus. Works out best with work and cheapest airfare I can find. Suggestions on where to stay on the cheap????
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • legates54legates54 Posts: 72
    I will be at Columbus, Noblesville, and Cleveland
    Dream the dreams of other men...You will be no ones rival

28 times and rocked them all
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I'll be at the Columbus show I think
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,838
    Nationwide holds "up to 20,000" for concerts. Since Pearl Jam uses a minimal set, and i'd think they'd put seats behind the stage, hopefully that'll be real close to 20 thousand.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • OP -- you have 10 am class on MONDAY. Not sure what that has to do with going to a show 2.5 hrs away on SUNDAY. I'm going to the Cleveland show Sunday and driving home and getting up for Monday work in Columbus - which begins at 5am. tough it out one day, you can do it sport. 10 am isn't even early for class. jesus you puss.
    edited March 2010
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    I hope to be at both the Columbus and Cleve shows. I don't know which arena is bigger. I saw PJ at the Q in 2006, and I have been a to a couple shows at Nationwide. But, considering I sat on the floor in 06, and will hopefully be doing the same for these shows, size doesn't matter to me as I should be close enough. I do like Nationwide though, I don't think there is a bad seat for hockey games, but a concert might be different.

According to Wikipedia, as I just checked, Nationwide holds just over 18,100 for hockey games, while the Q holds over 20,500 for bball games, so I guess the Q must be a little bigger,

Capacities: 18,500 for hockey; 19,500 for basketball; up to 20,000 for concerts. -- Nationwide ..

Capacity 20,562 -- is all wiki says for Q ..

. i have seen PJ in two small arena's and they were the best shows i have been to . on the floor or not !!
    Post edited by Jokertt14 on
  • Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    OP -- you have 10 am class on MONDAY. Not sure what that has to do with going to a show 2.5 hrs away on SUNDAY. I'm going to the Cleveland show Sunday and driving home and getting up for Monday work in Columbus - which begins at 5am. tough it out one day, you can do it sport. 10 am isn't even early for class. jesus you puss.

x2... we're raising a generation of candy-asses. :D I can't count the number of times I roadtripped from Kalamazoo to Detroit/Chicago in college for concerts and still made it back for work at 7:30am or 8am classes. You're in college... you're not supposed to get a lot of sleep anyway.
    Motown322 wrote:
    OP -- you have 10 am class on MONDAY. Not sure what that has to do with going to a show 2.5 hrs away on SUNDAY. I'm going to the Cleveland show Sunday and driving home and getting up for Monday work in Columbus - which begins at 5am. tough it out one day, you can do it sport. 10 am isn't even early for class. jesus you puss.

x2... we're raising a generation of candy-asses. :D I can't count the number of times I roadtripped from Kalamazoo to Detroit/Chicago in college for concerts and still made it back for work at 7:30am or 8am classes. You're in college... you're not supposed to get a lot of sleep anyway.

that's what i thought . or just don't go to class all together lol ... :o
  • mrshock13 wrote:
    I'm a Cleveland native, but I'm in Columbus for school (OSU, GO BUCKS!) I can't make the clev. show b/c I have classes at 10 a.m. monday morning, so I'm probably going to try for Columbus. It's a 5 min. walk to the arena from my house anyways, so it works. Anyone going, or planning on going, to the Columbus show?

I go to OSU too, and also have class at 10am the next day, but you could still get a room in Cleveland for the night. It's only a 2 hour drive. Just get up at 7am, or you can head back after the gig. I do it for Cavs games and Great Lakes Brewery pub binges and it works out fine
    mrshock13 wrote:

I go to OSU too, and also have class at 10am the next day, but you could still get a room in Cleveland for the night. It's only a 2 hour drive. Just get up at 7am, or you can head back after the gig. I do it for Cavs games and Great Lakes Brewery pub binges and it works out fine

have u been to both arena's . if so witch one do u like ??
  • jokertt14 wrote:
    mrshock13 wrote:

have u been to both arena's . if so witch one do u like ??

I prefer Nationwide, but I'm selfish because I go to lots of Blue Jackets games. It's a short walk from my place. Nationwide feels a little more intimate, but that's not saying much because they are both big arenas. They both have good bars you can stumble out to after or before the gigs.
  • mrshock13mrshock13 Posts: 472
    jokertt14 wrote:
    Motown322 wrote:

I don't have a car, my brother has it, that is what was standing in my way. I am considering skipping monday classes for it though. I'd rather see them in Cleveland again. And thanks for the candy-asses comment. It has nothing to do with sleep, I could care less. It's only to get there and back. You twats.
  • I prefer Nationwide to the Q. It's a nicer arena and the area around it is well kept up with a lot of nightlife. It also feels safer to roam the streets of the Arena District in Columbus than Downtown Cleveland. Plus it's within 2 minutes of my house, which rocks.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    I'm coming for the show, will probably only be there for a day. Never been to Columbus before. Is there anything I HAVE to do while there? Any recommendations from the locals? Any local breweries around?
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,838
    mrshock13 wrote:
    jokertt14 wrote:
    Motown322 wrote:

I don't have a car, my brother has it, that is what was standing in my way. I am considering skipping monday classes for it though. I'd rather see them in Cleveland again. And thanks for the candy-asses comment. It has nothing to do with sleep, I could care less. It's only to get there and back. You twats.

Maybe you could get a ride from someone on these boards?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    mrshock13 wrote:
    jokertt14 wrote:

Maybe you could get a ride from someone on these boards?[/quote]

I mean, I live withing a 10 minute walk from the venue in Columbus. I just prefer Cleveland, so I'm trying to make it work.
    Nationwide Sucks!!! So Does Columbus!!!

Everyone should go to the Indy and Cleveland shows!!!!

Skip Columbus!!!!!

(And let me have better seats :D )

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    Nationwide Sucks!!! So Does Columbus!!!

Everyone should go to the Indy and Cleveland shows!!!!

Skip Columbus!!!!!

(And let me have better seats :D )

Nice . !! lol :lol:
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,624
    what are the good hotels close to the arena?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    what are the good hotels close to the arena?

i wish i could help you out, but i really don't stay in hotels here since i live here, but there are a few within easy walking distance...

The Crowne Plaza, The Hyatt Regancy,... etc.

Does this link work...?

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=ie ... CBEQnwIwAA

I guess not, but if you click on "search nearby" and type in "hotels" you will get a good list, and any of those should be fine.

• dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    Me too...man....seriously....you would be back in Columbus around 1.30-2.00...asleep by 3am lastest, up at 9.15, shower, teeth brush off to exams by 9.40.....i think you and I have his crisis solved!
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,624
    thanks!

I'm thinking Crowne Plaza....I have some points to use
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    columbus ohio
  • loadedgun wrote:
    I'm coming for the show, will probably only be there for a day. Never been to Columbus before. Is there anything I HAVE to do while there? Any recommendations from the locals? Any local breweries around?

not really, all we have to do here, outside of ohio state football, is drinking our faces off.
    dirtyT wrote:
    Me too...man....seriously....you would be back in Columbus around 1.30-2.00...asleep by 3am lastest, up at 9.15, shower, teeth brush off to exams by 9.40.....i think you and I have his crisis solved!

Let's do it then! A friend of mine is joining me for the show, he's a big PJ fan as well. He can't make the Columbus show, so I'm most likely going up for the Cleveland show. We should both head up to cleveland friday night or something, and drive back down sunday after the show.
    loadedgun wrote:

not really, all we have to do here, outside of ohio state football, is drinking our faces off.

Very true. Although...there really isn't a whole lot to do in Cleveland either...15 years, and I get bored...maybe just because I've lived in Cleveland for so long...then again, Columbus has gotten a little boring in under 3 years of being here for school.
  • I'll be there.

for those not familiar with cbus, it's a great city. everything is easily accessible, especially from the arena, so you can definitely do/see a number of things in a day or two.

you probably should see the ohio state campus - just one of those things. walk around and enjoy the nice weather (hopefully). just built a state of the art library there which is amazing and a new student union is opening up that is supposed to be one of the best in the nation.

Check out the "Short North" part of town. It's a section of high st. that's close to downtown. a ton of cool restaurants, bars, galleries and boutiques.

the columbus art museum is small, but nice.

franklin part conservatory is very cool - there's always some kind of art exhibit mixed in with the plants/flowers.

the arena district, where Nationwide arena is located, has plenty of restaurants, bars, a nice movie theater, etc .

hope that helps!