Hall of Fame lineman Olsen dies

lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
RIP

Hall of Fame lineman Olsen dies

ESPN.com news services
Merlin Olsen, a Pro Football Hall of Fame defensive lineman who was part of the Los Angeles Rams' famed "Fearsome Foursome" of the 1960s, has died after a lengthy battle with cancer. He was 69.

Olsen, who was diagnosed with mesothelioma last year and had been undergoing chemotherapy, died Wednesday night, the Cache Valley Daily of Utah reported.

A Utah native, Olsen attended Utah State and, in his senior year with the Aggies, won the Outland Trophy as the nation's top interior defensive lineman.

Olsen was selected to 14 Pro Bowls and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1982.

Following his retirement from the game, Olsen flourished as a television actor, appearing regularly on "Little House on the Prairie" in the 1970s and later in the lead role of "Father Murphy."

Olsen was part of the Rams' defensive line famously known as the "Fearsome Foursome" along with Roosevelt Grier, Deacon Jones and Lamar Lundy. Jones also is a member of the Hall of Fame.
I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Somewhere, Ron Burgundy is crying.

Seriously, I loved him and Enberg calling the AFC West games back in the day ... nothing like those old Fouts Chargers games, and Enberg's "Oh MY!!!" ... Olsen always in tow.

Liked his style .... RIP.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez