member # identity theft!! oh no

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited March 2010 in The Porch
I guess I can't wonder about it too much if i do the same fucking thing myself, but why do people put xxx after three digits of their member number? Has anyone experienced identity theft of a 10C number? And even if so, what would be the worst that could happen? I mean, it's not as if you'd walk into Wal-Mart and abuse the shit out of someone's number. I'm just curious, that tis all. Where all this madness came from.
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I don't know and I find it funny as well. I remember reading an interview with Ruby's Dad at twofeetthick a while back and he seemed to find the whole xxx thing in the member #s kind of amusing.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    good point ... although i don't have a clue what my last 3 numbers are ... 8-)
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    polaris_x wrote:
    good point ... although i don't have a clue what my last 3 numbers are ... 8-)

there's the real reason. ;)
    i am the same. not a clue. :mrgreen:

i've got enough passwords, pin #s etc rattling around my brain...so it's amazing i even remember the first 3 digits of my 10c #.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• bootlegbootleg Posts: 675
    Yeah I guess as long as you keep your login and password secure there's probably not much anyone could do if they just had your member number. Maybe it's a way to keep your anonimity at the shows? If you know the full numbers you could possibly figure out who some of the people around you are if they are in sequence.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I guess I can't wonder about it too much if i do the same fucking thing myself, but why do people put xxx after three digits of their member number? Has anyone experienced identity theft of a 10C number? And even if so, what would be the worst that could happen? I mean, it's not as if you'd walk into Wal-Mart and abuse the shit out of someone's number. I'm just curious, that tis all. Where all this madness came from.

I guess the point is, why would anyone need to know your entire number anyways, so why not keep it safe and hidden? I thought that if I ever accidentally gave out my number and someone found out I was going to a show in Boston, they could find me, kill me, and go to the ticket window and say, hey man I lost my tickets but drove all the way from Florida... Here's my number 1x8,xxx, and here's Jons ID -- i only have it cause i killed him back on the highway.. ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • i overheard some guys at the post office talking about how they planned on pulling off a massive 10c # heist so be careful all.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all