Martin, Taylor, Larrivee, or .....?

GeertGeert Posts: 101
edited May 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Looking for a new acoustic.

Martin D15, Martin D16GT, Taylor DN3, Larrivee D-03, or .... something else??? :?
Any suggestions? And why?
Antwerp 30-08-2006, Paris 11-09-2006, Berlin 23-09-2006.
Düsseldorf 21-06-2007, Nijmegen 28-06-2007, Werchter 29-06-2007.
London Shepherd's Bush 11-08-2009, Rotterdam 13-08-2009.
Nijmegen 27-06-2010, Berlin 30-06-2010, Arras 04-07-2010,
Werchter 05-07-2010, Manchester 20-06-2012, Amsterdam 26-06-2012, Amsterdam 27-06-2012, Werchter 29-06-2012, Berlin 04-07-2012, Amsterdam 16-06-2014, Amsterdam 17-06-2014, Werchter 05-07-2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,971
    I thought this was another "name for my baby" thread! :lol::lol::lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • go with one of the martins

excellent craftsmanship and excellent cutomers service

i have a d28 now for like 15yrs (my cousin has a d15 or 16 and likes it very much) i have sent it to nazarene twice (and about to for the third time) for care and or repair. both times it has come back like brand new and always for FREEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! (just make sure you register the git)
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    We can't tell you... It sounds cheesy, but when you play it, you'll know.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I'm a Fender man but Martin's sound amazing...I just wish I could afford one and take care of it.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    I love Gibson acoustics as well. Absolutely gorgeous tone.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I love Gibson acoustics as well. Absolutely gorgeous tone.
    this would be my vote too, quite pricey though...

matthew caws of nada surf has one from the early 70s that i played a few years ago and i gotta admit, i was floored by how amizing it played and how beautiful it sounded. if i could buy one today i would...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    I love Gibson acoustics as well. Absolutely gorgeous tone.

matthew caws of nada surf has one from the early 70s that i played a few years ago and i gotta admit, i was floored by how amizing it played and how beautiful it sounded. if i could buy one today i would...
    I played one in a store, just a couple chords, and if I could've walked out with it, I would..

And the best sounding live acoustic I've heard was a Gibson.. Band called Everest opening for Neil Young.. Perfection.
  • I love Gibson acoustics as well. Absolutely gorgeous tone.

I played one in a store, just a couple chords, and if I could've walked out with it, I would..

And the best sounding live acoustic I've heard was a Gibson.. Band called Everest opening for Neil Young.. Perfection.
    haha yeah, i would have stolen matthew's if i could have lol...actually not, i'll buy my own one of these days...yeah they sound amazing.. good thing you only played a few chords, had you played it for a half hour you would have stolen it.

^There's a reason I put it down after 2-3 chords...

I think that's my 'once I get a real job' guitar!
  • We can't tell you... It sounds cheesy, but when you play it, you'll know.

This is 10,000 percent true. And that's a lot of percents
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/

This is 10,000 percent true. And that's a lot of percents
    With all my guitars I've bought, only one I went into the store looking for, the others I was just looking around for a certain guitar, and ended up walking out with something different!
  • The P.T.The P.T. Posts: 141
    I picked up a Martin DC-16GTE in the guitar store a couple months ago and knew it was mine. As was said earlier, play around until you find the right one.

(But you can't go wrong with a Martin!) I love mine.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Whipple Creek guitars

http://www.whipplecreekguitars.com

Robert Bowlin, world champion flatpicker, recommends them. They're the only thing that compete with his old Martins.

Nothing in a guitar store is gonna touch them.

My buddy's(more of a buddy's buddy) dad makes them.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Acoustically, there is so much difference between makes and even models that there's no sense in anyone recommending a specific make and model. Martins have a distinctive tone, as do Gibson, Takamine, Taylor, and all of the boutique manufacturers.

Larrivee used to be one of my favorites, although I've never owned one. I'd like to, but that's an expensive unit. And lately, since they're machine-made rather than hand-crafted, I'd probably pass.

One thing I will mention is that the Taylor Expression electronics system is unparalleled. If you want and acoustic-electric, Taylors sound great plugged in. You can get good-sounding Martins, Gibsons, Takamines, etc. with Fishman or LR Baggs pickups, but IMO there's nothing better than Taylor A/E's.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    Whipple Creek guitars

http://www.whipplecreekguitars.com

Robert Bowlin, world champion flatpicker, recommends them. They're the only thing that compete with his old Martins.

Nothing in a guitar store is gonna touch them.

My buddy's(more of a buddy's buddy) dad makes them.
    wow, those look pretty nice..

• tubes10stubes10s Posts: 529

It's pretty crazy, but this is 100% true. Just get your hands on as many as you can and ignore the brand name as much as possible. You'll find pretty quickly what sounds and feel that you like, and that some will just feel and play better for you. Eventually you'll grab one that feels like it was made just for you, and you'll honestly know it immediately.

I have 2 acoustics, a Martin and a Gibson, that I bought about 9 years apart. And while they are both different, I knew that they'd both be mine the very first time that I played them in the store. Also, both times I was looking at guitars and thinking that I'd be buying a Taylor! Taylor's are quite nice, but they didn't give me that "you'll know" feeling.

Newer acoustic electrics are also pretty nice because a large number of them have tuners onboard. For some, that's not a big deal, but I personally love it and I'm thinking of replacing the pre-amp in my Martin with one that has a tuner built in :)
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • yielderyielder Posts: 160
    I have a Martin 15d with fishman pickups. Now for aboutaleb a month. I play 16 years guitar! This is the best acoustic ever!! Its very deep and a lot of colour. It's the no nonsence guitar! Ig you want that in to the wild sound Then buy this guitar!
    Greets Dave
    Antwerp -Belgium- Europe
  • GeertGeert Posts: 101
    I noticed that the Martin D-15 receives al lot of positive reviews in different forums!
    According to the guy of my guitar shop, the D-15 is not so popular in Europe (a little unknown) so he ordered one in the States but I have to wait till may before it's here. :?
    Werchter 05-07-2010, Manchester 20-06-2012, Amsterdam 26-06-2012, Amsterdam 27-06-2012, Werchter 29-06-2012, Berlin 04-07-2012, Amsterdam 16-06-2014, Amsterdam 17-06-2014, Werchter 05-07-2014
  • jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    When I picked out my guitar I just went to the store and played them all. I picked out the Martin DSR and couldn't be happier. It sounds 20x better and louder than my brothers Taylor, which he paid about the same for. Buying that Martin was the best purchase I have ever made, hands down.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Its true its totally a personal preferance. They're all great and I wouldnt mind having one of each. But for me, the Taylor. I've had a 310 for 6 years, its great and Taylor's customer service is fantastic. Also, the contruction is solid. A Taylor sound to me is unbeatable. But surely whichever one you choose there is no bad choice.
  • As a good friend of mine owned a brilliant guitar shop in the UK, I'm lucky enough to own almost every major guitar preference available and all I can add to this forum is this:

The first real quality guitar I tried as a budding guitarist was a Taylor W15 which I subsequently bought coz the sound was better than anything I'd heard with my limited understanding. As my interest blossomed I tried a Martin which I didn't like and then a gibson with the same result, naive to say the least, however.

My experience level was low, but the sound that I got from my Taylor spurred me on, I was practising up to 10 hours a day on some occasions and my point is this, I consider myself to be a good guitarist now, but my choices were based totally on how that guitar made me feel at that time. Ten years later I now know and understand the differences between makes, models, woods and shapes, I record with a Taylor because its so good plugged straight in, play live with a Martin because it is THE classic acoustic sound, and jam and singalong with my friends on a Gibson with fine strings because of the wonderful brightness but none of that would've been possible if I hadn't had that early success with the Taylor, it didn't matter that it was a Taylor it mattered that I loved it and it had a massive effect on my desire to play. Find the guitar that makes you feel like that and you've won!

Good luck.
  • GeertGeert Posts: 101
    And the winner is ... Martin D-15!!! One word ... amazing!!!
    Plays and sounds fantastic! :D
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Play them all and whatever you like is your new guitar.
    I tend to me more of a Taylor guy myself (just like the tone), but there are some amazing guitars out there from any company.