Question to PJ's Touring Fans

jonbond1779jonbond1779 Posts: 1,638
edited March 2010 in The Porch
OK - something I never really understood - Those of you lucky ones who follow the band on tour, whether it be a US, Europe or elsewhere....

How do you get the time off work and afford to go to all the gigs????

Do you just save up for this special occasion or just super rich???

Seriously - I would love to know!
"Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    i steal money from Nickelback and Creed Fans
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i just get concert tickets then hope the rest works itself out. and it does. til i get back home..

08 i went to 3 shows including bonnaroo and was flat broke for months. like no electricity broke
    09 i went to 4 shows including austin city and ended up in rehab
    i'm probably gonna die this tour because i have way too much money and vacay..and it's right around my bday
  • luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    I teach at University and have summers off which is how I get the time to tour from May to August
    I can usually take some time off during the school year as well but only one or two days at a time.

I usually teach a boatload of overload hours to afford the tour and save what I make from that to use for the tour

That's how I do it
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    Well, I didn't make the mistake of transitioning from a flat-broke college student to a flat-broke parent.

Just me and the wife, and I've got a decent paying job. Without mini-mes running around, I get a double bonus: more money for PJ, and no need to suck up vacation days b/c kids are sick or wanting to go to Disney World. :)

Anyone ever see the Simpsons episode where that anti-kid lady is the big antagonist... and Marge meets her in a parking garage and is talking to her... Bart walks up and says "Mom, I just threw up in your purse." The anti-kid chick retorts "That's too bad... the only thing in my purse is disposable income."

Best. Line. Ever.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    i just get tixs to the shows, an go ,, the time off of work luckly my bosses were cool an down with pj an the job i have had for the past few yrs its easy to get extended leaves you just let them know months in advance :mrgreen:
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804

Anyone ever see the Simpsons episode where that anti-kid lady is the big antagonist... and Marge meets her in a parking garage and is talking to her... Bart walks up and says "Mom, I just threw up in your purse." The anti-kid chick retorts "That's too bad... the only thing in my purse is disposable income."

Best. Line. Ever.

:lol:

gotta love Simpsons humor.
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I am sure every case is different.

I buy the tickets. But I travel a lot for my job, so I usually have enough air miles to afford a flight. I also usually have enough hotel points to stay free somewhere.

If not, then I use discount sites like Hotwire to get the cheapest room somewhere.

If not, then sometimes I split the costs with friends.

Also, I try to only travel to where there are multiple shows in one city or multiple shows in cities that are very close (Mansfield and Hartford, multi-nights in Philly, Chicago, etc.). Bigger bang for the buck.

As far as vacation time from work, I try to stick to weekends to minimize the time off. Or sometimes I just make that the family vacation and we pick a city we've never been to and do tourist stuff while there.

I'm not rich at all. I am married with two kids. I try to do everything on a budget.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I have a job where I have plenty of paid vacation days and can pretty much use them whenever I want. The hardest thing for me is trying to find the cheapest airfare/hotel etc but I've been able to use airline miles and hotel points that I've earned from work travel. I try to travel to shows that are in the same general area so I don't have to book multiple flights. (CA shows last year, Chicago through Detroit in 06)

I've had to fly out for 12 of the 16 shows I've seen and drive several hours for the other 4. I've had to stay at hotels for all of the PJ shows I've been to so it hasn't been cheap :) I hope to do anywhere between 2 and 5 shows on this tour. I have an infant child though so I'm going to have to convince the grandparents to come up and take care of him for a week so mommy and daddy can go on vacation. :lol:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I Rob Banks, thats where the $ is.
  • Me and the wife are what's known as DINKS!

Double Income No Kids!!!!
    Makes much more sense.................
    To Live......................
    In the present tense.
  • so02seeso02see Posts: 238
    I got made redundant a few years back, since then I've just had short contracts. It taught me to
    1) save for a rainy day
    2) never spend money I don't have
    3) bearing that in mind don't live life waiting for tommorow because you'll only regret the stuff you let pass you by, not the stuff you did.

As for time, well my current contract does'nt pay me when I'm not in work so any days off are unpaid. I just try to make up my hours in the rest of the month so I don't loose out. I still need permission for time off so after I came home from my 2 week Annual vacation to the East Coast (Seattle 2 & LA 2) I caught this strange bug which meant I couldnt work and had to go to Philly for 4 days to get better!!!
    Manchester 2000. Leeds 2006. Wembley 2007
    SBE/O2 London/Manchester UK/Seattle 2/LA 2/Philadelphia 2/3/4 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010. Dublin / Belfast / Hyde Park 2010
    Eddie solo NY 1 & 2 2011
    PJ20 weekend & My Birthday party 4th Sept
  • bry321f11bry321f11 Posts: 326
    Couple things...

1. Set up a fund for just PJ...A little out of every paycheck for me.
    2. Go the extra mile when needed. I remember coming back from back to back NYC shows in 2008, and having to go to work on no sleep. My job is very demanding but also felxible.
    3. No wife or kids, so i can come and go as I please for a couple week stretch while they play. I realize that cant happen when im married with kids in a few years if i decide to settle down. better enjoy it now!!
  • CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    Me and the wife are what's known as DINKS!

I'll second that, brutha!
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
    so02see wrote:
    I got made redundant a few years back, since then I've just had short contracts. It taught me to
    1) save for a rainy day
    2) never spend money I don't have
    3) bearing that in mind don't live life waiting for tommorow because you'll only regret the stuff you let pass you by, not the stuff you did.

As for time, well my current contract does'nt pay me when I'm not in work so any days off are unpaid. I just try to make up my hours in the rest of the month so I don't loose out. I still need permission for time off so after I came home from my 2 week Annual vacation to the East Coast (Seattle 2 & LA 2) I caught this strange bug which meant I couldnt work and had to go to Philly for 4 days to get better!!!

hahaha
    jones wrote:
    i just get concert tickets then hope the rest works itself out. and it does. til i get back home..

08 i went to 3 shows including bonnaroo and was flat broke for months. like no electricity broke
    09 i went to 4 shows including austin city and ended up in rehab
    i'm probably gonna die this tour because i have way too much money and vacay..and it's right around my bday

Funniest thing i have read today
  • run my own biz

im a tour vet, pj phish and a little known band called raq

it doesnt have to cost that much if you know how to do it

work can be an issue, but again...work for yourself and nobody tells you what to do
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182

Same here, and we BOTH have Govt. jobs! You have to vacation/travel when that's the situation ;o)
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Posts: 3,889

:thumbup: :wave:
    Exactly the same situation here!!!
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Im a student.

Start a year of work in July though.
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Posts: 3,889
    Pearl Jam is our hobby, our life, almost everything beside our jobs, monthly costs and family! Therefore we do not spend money for other reasons... ;)
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    run my own biz

im a tour vet, pj phish and a little known band called raq

it doesnt have to cost that much if you know how to do it

work can be an issue, but again...work for yourself and nobody tells you what to do

Nice...another Raq fan. i'm hoping for more than that NYC and upper NY show to be announced, if you hit the festival show, be sure to check out the breakfast.

Ton

as far as touring with bands, it's all up to the person. some people will drop everything for it. I myself go to a ton of shows, but would never spend money I didn't have or couldn't afford. This tour I'm hoping to only hit 1 pj show because their ticket prices are way too high and I'm trying to save up to buy a house, which is more important than a concert. I also don't do other things people do all the time. I rarely go out to eat, buy coffee, dvds, etc.... Those add up.

I'll second that, brutha!

I really regret not travelling with PJ when I was a DINK. Now I'm just a DIK.

Double Income w/ Kids.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • ^nice, raq fan! :D

totally bummed that nyc show is same as pj at jfest or id totally catch raq at bowery. doubt i will make it to big up in ghent

are you on hyperufnk? if so then its like 99% we know eachother

but based on yer bfast reference im assuming maybe you came to raq viabfast/palmieri/kung fu...you are aware of kung-fu, yes?
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

i didn't know we had a name!!! does a dog screw it up?
    ^nice, raq fan! :D

totally bummed that nyc show is same as pj at jfest or id totally catch raq at bowery. doubt i will make it to big up in ghent

are you on hyperufnk? if so then its like 99% we know eachother

but based on yer bfast reference im assuming maybe you came to raq viabfast/palmieri/kung fu...you are aware of kung-fu, yes?

A couple buddies are going to NYC from work, but I just get back from Mexico a couple days prior so I don't see myself getting down there.
    I don't go hyperfunk much, but ya, I'm on there (on breakfast.info more)...scortino was my HS teacher so I've been following them from early on, we probably have met at a show or something. Kung Fu is amazing (who I believe is opening in NYC but it's not official yet) but need more lyrics after a while. What the world needs is a bRAQfast tour/co bill each night.
  • ^ you know krispy? :lol:

Me and my wife are what's known as OITKS! one income, two kids!! Thats why i have to let the London gig go. Still Dublin and Belfast are on so I can't really complain. Pearl jam didn't seem to tour europe as much when it was just the two of us and we were both working! sometimes I do wonder what the hell we spent our money on!! still wouldn't change things for the world, just hopin my two grow up big music fans so we can all go to gigs together. :)
    ^ you know krispy? :lol:

personally, have yet to have the pleasure, but I have plenty of his recording
  • ^dont we all...kudos to krispy
  • legates54legates54 Posts: 72
    Lucky for me I am a planner when it comes to these things.

Our company runs on the fiscal year not the calender for vacations. Backspacer came out last Sept.(?) so I save my vacation to use in March , April and May.

I have been saving since Sept.(?) hoping to see the tour. If they play the rumored midwest tour I will see 4 maybe 5 shows and have friends in every city so it will be only gas and tickets.
    Dream the dreams of other men...You will be no ones rival

28 times and rocked them all