any one in new york help

guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
edited March 2010 in The Porch
hi my parents have gone on a short trip to New York and have put aside an hour or so to look for some pj vinyl for me .
can any one recommend a good place to look cos they don't want to be on a wild goose chase .please let me know where i can send them thanks :D:D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    Keep in mind I haven't lived there in over 10 years, but the Village used to have a number of Indie Records Stores. Try the Bowery area around where CBGB's was all the way over to NYU campus area and I'm sure they will run into quite a few of them. SOHO, Bowery, and Greenwich Village were the main areas I shopped. Bleeker Dan's comes to mind - not sure if it's still in business but most shops were just little storefronts or walk-ups or downs. PS. Some are on top of S&M fashion accessory type stores so if that upsets their sensibilities, you may want to warn them, LOL! :lol: It's similar to the area in London where the punks used to hang and the name escapes me now. Also like I said it could be Yuppieville now since that was a long time ago but hopefully retained some of its ambiance from the Ramones' days.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    edited March 2010
    Definitely Bleecker St. Records, but I also really loved Generation Records which is, I believe, on Thompson Street b/w Bleecker and W. 3rd.
    Post edited by cdp1223 on
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    unfortunately, the record stores are not as good as they used to be, and the owners and employees sell a lot of stuff on ebay instead of in the stores.

generation records used to be fantastic
    but now they sell a ton of stuff on ebay and its become a "high fidelity" type place where all they care about is how obscure a record is.

It is still a cool place to visit and they do have a large selection of interesting stuff
    but I doubt that your parents will find any rare PJ vinyl-if they do it will be high priced
  • Not sure if you'll get rare PJ vinyl but I always head to Bleecker Street records when I am in NYC - it's got a good selection of vinyl AND it's just down the road from the Magnolia Bakery!!! :D
  • Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    OH BOO! Hate to hear that GetRight. See what happens when neighborhoods get spiffy, LOL! That area was a literal dump when I lived there in the 80's but always had the best records stores even in the 90's. I don't get down there anymore so I figured it changed, just not that much. I remember bargaining with the guys for imports back in the day and really bitching about paying $20 (a small fortune and weeks living expenses then) for one. OH NO, I'm beginning to sound like my ... parents. :oops:
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

My favorite place was Kim's on St. Mark's. RIP! :cry:
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Well i can confirm, there are NO record store's in Midtown and Uptown, and i mean NOTHING!!! maybe one Colony Records 49th and Broadway but they ain't what they used to be. Fuckin itunes.
    KO282453 wrote:
    Well i can confirm, there are NO record store's in Midtown and Uptown, and i mean NOTHING!!! maybe one Colony Records 49th and Broadway but they ain't what they used to be. Fuckin itunes.

And that is why it's best not to venture above 14th Street! :lol:
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    cdp1223 wrote:
    KO282453 wrote:

unless you're going to MSG to see pearl jam ;)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    i used to find fanclub singles at generation records all the time. definitely go there. blecker street records too. house of rare vinyl is also in the area.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
    cdp1223 wrote:
    KO282453 wrote:

haha, well OF COURSE!
  • JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    For official releases, I recommend J&R Music and Computer World on Park Row near the Brooklyn Bridge. I work near there and know they have at least official releases (i.e. Backspacer and the new Ten) and maybe a couple of singles.

If you are fishing for rarities, I tend to strike gold from time to time in Academy Records. There are numerous (it's not a chain, they just have multiple stores), the ones of interest would be the one on 12th Street between 1st Avenue and Avenue A, and the Williamsburg location at South 6th Street and Berry. They however must look in the rock section and the new arrivals bins. If they like classic rock, they may end up spending a small fortune on themselves though...
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    cdp1223 wrote:
    KO282453 wrote:

:mrgreen::mrgreen::D:mrgreen::D:mrgreen: :P :o:D cant wait, gona be like Christmas morning.
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    a big thank you to you all ill be getting in touch today hopefully the ll find some thing ;)