2010 Census

PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I was hired by them yesterday for a Temp Job.......lasting 6 weeks starting April 27th. I'm excited about it.
I really really need a job. I was laid off my job last June. I've been on unemployment since then. I'm kind of worried how this job might affect my unemployemnt benefits once the assignment has ended, but I'm really hoping it will extend my Unemployment Benefits if I can't find permanent work. I guess we'll see.
Anyway, make sure you all fill out your Census info that comes in the mail. It is important :).
The best use of Life is Love.
The best expression of Love is Time.
The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    just got a letter yesterday telling me i was going to be getting the census in a week. the letter said the census is used for tax allocation, ie money grab time. it didn't mention any of the other big uses such as congressional districts, house of rep allocations.

anyways, do you really need to send me a letter telling me you are going to send me something next week. :roll: talk about .gov waste at it's best.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    81 wrote:
    just got a letter yesterday telling me i was going to be getting the census in a week. the letter said the census is used for tax allocation, ie money grab time. it didn't mention any of the other big uses such as congressional districts, house of rep allocations.

anyways, do you really need to send me a letter telling me you are going to send me something next week. :roll: talk about .gov waste at it's best.
    i got the same letter and had the same reaction.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    81 wrote:

That is exactly what I said. Who sends a letter to tell you that another is coming. It is a waste.
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i got the warning letter as well.
    "next week we are sending you the 2010 census"

trashcan bound went that letter.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    I will answer the question about the number of people in my house and basically none of the other questions.

The question I definitely know I won't answer is the one about race. The fact that our government wants to classify people by race, just shows how it is working hard to perpetuate racism. (Nevermind that everyone is mixed race nowadays anyway)
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    know1 wrote:
    I will answer the question about the number of people in my house and basically none of the other questions.

The question I definitely know I won't answer is the one about race. The fact that our government wants to classify people by race, just shows how it is working hard to perpetuate racism. (Nevermind that everyone is mixed race nowadays anyway)
    I hate when I have to answer a question about my race. What difference does it make. We're all from the same place anyways.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    know1 wrote:

I don't like those types of questions either. Won't they contact you again if you don't answer all the questions though?
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    i like question 10

in prison. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I think you can be fined up to $100, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    know1 wrote:

I hate when I have to answer a question about my race. What difference does it make. We're all from the same place anyways.

Wait, we're all from the same place? Does my mom know that?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    know1 wrote:
    I don't think they will fine you. What they will do is send a worker to follow up with you.

Honestly, I don't see why people aren't willing to answer the questions. People will post all sorts of information about themselves on Facebook and don't think twice about the fact that marketing researchers know every little detail about their households but they don't want to answer a few questions because it's from (dun da dun dun) THE GOVERNMENT. :wtf: :roll:

PJPixie, I worked for the Census Bureau last spring and I really enjoyed it. Hope you do too. I'm waiting for them to call me back for this year. :thumbup:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    know1 wrote:
    I don't think they will fine you. What they will do is send a worker to follow up with you.

Honestly, I don't see why people aren't willing to answer the questions. People will post all sorts of information about themselves on Facebook and don't think twice about the fact that marketing researchers know every little detail about their households but they don't want to answer a few questions because it's from (dun da dun dun) THE GOVERNMENT. :wtf: :roll:

PJPixie, I worked for the Census Bureau last spring and I really enjoyed it. Hope you do too. I'm waiting for them to call me back for this year. :thumbup:

They're gonna send someone to my house? Do you think they care if they ever see this person again?

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    eyedclaar wrote:
    know1 wrote:

They're gonna send someone to my house? Do you think they care if they ever see this person again?
    :lol:
    Yes, they care. Cuz if that person disappears, they hafta send another one!
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    :lol:
    Yes, they care. Cuz if that person disappears, they hafta send another one!

Excellent, so I can afford to feed the new pet crocodile in my moat.

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I saw a commercial on CNN for the census and laughed at how cheesy it was

well done
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • chadwick wrote:

same
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    chadwick wrote:

same

I haven't received anything. I'm worried the count will be off. Someone add me to their count please.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
    Kevinman wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

same

I haven't received anything. I'm worried the count will be off. Someone add me to their count please.

chicago eh..i'd add you twice
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    Does that mean I can vote 4 times next election?
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • i applied for a job, the same job you did. temping job. went down to my local census office, took a 30 minute test and they said it would be a month before they let us know. maybe 30 other people took the test with me. seems like people would be crawling out of the woodwork for a job like this, and they probably are. i bet the census office is getting a ton of calls about it.

it excites me in many ways because as a sociology major, this is right up my alley, and as a graduate, I have seen little to no jobs that apply to my major, and I have been a graduate since 2007. nothing. this job is what i need, and what my major prepared me for. I took an entire course on surveys, on tests, on taking surveys, how to do that, how to interview subjects for the survey etc.. and many classes, talked about or piggy backed off that concept as well.

I hated that the test was fast like that. I wanted more time on my test. 30 minutes is too short
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    lettinggo wrote:
    81 wrote:

That is exactly what I said. Who sends a letter to tell you that another is coming. It is a waste.
    That is exactly what I thought! I assumed it was the real thing and waited to open it for when I had time to fill it out. I was shocked to find it was only a letter telling me I was going to get the real deal.

What a waste of money! Money had to go to get the letter designed, printed, mailed and all the employeeys to do it! Unbelieveably wasteful!! Its OUR money at work! Geez, in this economy too!
    What's worse is that there is not a damn thing we can do about it.
    Save room for dessert!
    I'm not going to answer the questions about race NOT because it's the government - but rather that I think labeling people as one race or another a) perpetuates racism and b) is stupid because everyone is mixed and there is no clear definition of each race.

Heatherj43 wrote:
    lettinggo wrote:
    81 wrote:

That is exactly what I thought! I assumed it was the real thing and waited to open it for when I had time to fill it out. I was shocked to find it was only a letter telling me I was going to get the real deal.

What a waste of money! Money had to go to get the letter designed, printed, mailed and all the employeeys to do it! Unbelieveably wasteful!! Its OUR money at work! Geez, in this economy too!
    What's worse is that there is not a damn thing we can do about it.

i sent my congressman (Dick "waste of space" Durbin) an email on the topic.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    PJPixie wrote:
    I was hired by them yesterday for a Temp Job.......lasting 6 weeks starting April 27th. I'm excited about it.
    I really really need a job. I was laid off my job last June. I've been on unemployment since then. I'm kind of worried how this job might affect my unemployemnt benefits once the assignment has ended, but I'm really hoping it will extend my Unemployment Benefits if I can't find permanent work. I guess we'll see.
    Anyway, make sure you all fill out your Census info that comes in the mail. It is important :).

glad you've got some work, even if only temp. who knows, maybe it can lead to something else later?
    and we just got our census envelope yesterday.

oh, reading above...perhaps we just got the letter telling us it's coming? :? i didn't open it either.
    total fucking waste if that's the case.
    reminds me of when bushy was in office, and we got letters telling us we were going to be getting those stimulus checks. waste more money. so ridiculous.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

just did some math on what it may have cost to send those letters. I can up with $31 MILLION dollars.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg