F... Ticketmaster

the jamthe jam Posts: 31
edited March 2010 in The Porch
this isn't you typical F ticketmaster for their extra addons that raise the ticket prices. i for one will admit that i thought the whole PJ vs ticketmaster was a little annoying back in the day. for one it postponed them from touring and second we had to see them at a baseball field here in ft. lauderdale back in the day. although now its a great memory.
now...what just happened to me is some crazy ass stuff. my Dad is a big Paul McCartney fan, and Paul is coming to south fl in april. we had a chance to buy tickets through some american express/ticketmaster deal last week. tickets to the puplic went on sale this monday. so my dad got 2 tickets on the corner of the stage (floor sec. 4) 10 rows back at $550.00 each. he is by no means rich, but at age 65 he wanted to do this 1st class. so yesterday we went on ticketmaster during the day and you couldn't buy any floor seats. so were thinking alright we got great seats even though he paid a lot for them. well today he went on a ticket broker web site called ticket.org. they have tons of floor seats at a much cheaper rate that what ticketmaster sold them for. for an example, we could get the same floor sec. 4 row 4 at $376.00e. i was blown away with this. i called ticketmaster and all's they kept saying was they can't control what tickets brokers sell them at...and that they don't control all the tickets. ticketmaster only gets a lot amount. so then i called tickets.org, and they said that its other ticket brokers who sell on there web site. so they had no idea why or how they could sell them cheaper. so then i called the miami dolphins stadium. i got a really cool sales men that sort of explained that it is ticketmaster who controlls the prices and tickets. he believes they were just getting a feeler out there before the actual seats went on sale and priced them higher. he then starts to tell me that he's a big pearl jam fan and he can go on and on how ticketmaster does messed up stuff like this all the time.
i understand how a ticketbroker/scalper can raise the tickets to make as much as possable, but it should be against the law for ticketmaster to do this. i'm so proud of pearl jam for fighting this company.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bry321f11bry321f11 Posts: 326
    As Eddie and the boys say.......

"The suitcoats say, 'There is money to be made.'
    They get so damn excited, nothing gets in their way"
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    If it's a "feeler", then I don't think that TM. I think that's Live Nation. TM sells the tickets for whatever price they are told, plus whatever fees they feel like. Live Nation (or whomever the promoter is) decides the price - if that is their deal with the artist. An artist can also say "we only want tickets to be $20" and Live Nation can say "ok, but then we'll only give you a guarantee of $50,000 per show" as opposed to 10x that much.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • the jamthe jam Posts: 31
    i believe it was threw live nation. i also understand that its the band that ok's the price. what i don't understand is how did we pay $550.00 for a seat when now we can pay $376.00 for a better seat or same. Paul McCartney probally said sell them for what you can, but ticketmaster/live nation put the screws to us and others that bought them before the fair trade.
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    the jam wrote:
    i believe it was threw live nation. i also understand that its the band that ok's the price. what i don't understand is how did we pay $550.00 for a seat when now we can pay $376.00 for a better seat or same. Paul McCartney probally said sell them for what you can, but ticketmaster/live nation put the screws to us and others that bought them before the fair trade.
    Ticketmaster and Live Nation are one and the same now....
    http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i73b3660e2c6025e6ec1b2e98a5e7328e
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
    "The suitcoats say, 'There is money to be made.'
    They get so damn excited, nothing gets in their way"

They dont give a shit about us. They care about their bottom line.
    if Pearl Jam and other bands would fight this again...i'd pay or do what ever for the fight. i know that it was such a pain in the ass for them...they'd never do it again. one day maybe the people will turn on them instead.
  • MahaloevMahaloev Posts: 305
    I may have to disagree with the last line of your post jam just a little bit. But, I really don't want to take a shit where I eat, so to say, so I won't rant on about what I have to say for too long. I think that Pearl Jam could do so much more about that situation with any ticket outfitter. Yes, it does suck when you're unable to get the seats you want to a show at a reasonably standard price. I know this all too very well first hand. But, do you ever ask yourself the question, "Do I like money?" I'm sure the answer would definitely be yes. & no matter where the tickets for the shows goes & whatever ridiculous prices they sell for, everyone has their hand in the kitty, if you know what I mean? If I were them, I would put up my own personal cash & buy every fucking ticket at a guaranteed, set rate from the ticket agency. Then personally resell them to their fan club members. Everybody wins, but do they? It would be so great for all of us regular people. We surely wouldn't have a hard time getting tickets to see a show or two. Hmmmm, I'm gonna stop now. 8-)
    The Stars, the Snow, the Fire
    This might be a whole different subject all together but...........

Things happen for a reason.... and Pearl Jam fought Ticketmaster Hard...Some say they ultimatly lost....Isolated Fans and so forth.

Maybe...just maybe and it may be a stretch.....But we are the tightest fan club in the world because we still love the shit out of this band, and were all still "here" despite the bull shit that all of us, including the band had to go through while the fight against TM was going on. Im glad they fought them. People say the result wasnt what the band wanted.....Well this right here is the result...Our loyalty..to this club and to this band....Well worth the fight if you ask me.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    the merger of TM and LN ended any chance of the consumer being treated fairly-I am just surprised that more acts did not speak out when the merger was proposed to the Government.

This new entity will continue to raise prices in an attempt to limit the secondary market and capture all the profits made by brokers and those selling tickets on auction sites. They will continue to raise the prices until they find the ceiling price-the maximum price they can charge without scaring consumers away. It does not surprise me one bit that they are testing out different prices for the same tickets-especially for an amex pre-sale, where I am guessing the research suggest that amex cardholders have higher incomes and would be willing to pay more for a ticket.

$550 face value to see a rock show? Sorry but that is insane. Even if its front row for a former beatle.
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    the jam wrote:
    this isn't you typical F ticketmaster for their extra addons that raise the ticket prices. i for one will admit that i thought the whole PJ vs ticketmaster was a little annoying back in the day. for one it postponed them from touring and second we had to see them at a baseball field here in ft. lauderdale back in the day. although now its a great memory.
    now...what just happened to me is some crazy ass stuff. my Dad is a big Paul McCartney fan, and Paul is coming to south fl in april. we had a chance to buy tickets through some american express/ticketmaster deal last week. tickets to the puplic went on sale this monday. so my dad got 2 tickets on the corner of the stage (floor sec. 4) 10 rows back at $550.00 each. he is by no means rich, but at age 65 he wanted to do this 1st class. so yesterday we went on ticketmaster during the day and you couldn't buy any floor seats. so were thinking alright we got great seats even though he paid a lot for them. well today he went on a ticket broker web site called ticket.org. they have tons of floor seats at a much cheaper rate that what ticketmaster sold them for. for an example, we could get the same floor sec. 4 row 4 at $376.00e. i was blown away with this. i called ticketmaster and all's they kept saying was they can't control what tickets brokers sell them at...and that they don't control all the tickets. ticketmaster only gets a lot amount. so then i called tickets.org, and they said that its other ticket brokers who sell on there web site. so they had no idea why or how they could sell them cheaper. so then i called the miami dolphins stadium. i got a really cool sales men that sort of explained that it is ticketmaster who controlls the prices and tickets. he believes they were just getting a feeler out there before the actual seats went on sale and priced them higher. he then starts to tell me that he's a big pearl jam fan and he can go on and on how ticketmaster does messed up stuff like this all the time.
    i understand how a ticketbroker/scalper can raise the tickets to make as much as possable, but it should be against the law for ticketmaster to do this. i'm so proud of pearl jam for fighting this company.

what you should do is contact your local politicians and explain the issue ....there has been so much shit going on with tickmaster in the past year .....and most of it was illegal ..like the whole Bruce Spingstein thing last summer..... im sure in the "rule book" you cant do anything like that....you cant "test" the waters so to say....give it a shot ..MAKE SOME NOISE
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
    bry321f11 wrote:
    This might be a whole different subject all together but...........

Things happen for a reason.... and Pearl Jam fought Ticketmaster Hard...Some say they ultimatly lost....Isolated Fans and so forth.

Maybe...just maybe and it may be a stretch.....But we are the tightest fan club in the world because we still love the shit out of this band, and were all still "here" despite the bull shit that all of us, including the band had to go through while the fight against TM was going on. Im glad they fought them. People say the result wasnt what the band wanted.....Well this right here is the result...Our loyalty..to this club and to this band....Well worth the fight if you ask me.

well said. PJ may not have the huge fame and fan base of the past, but i'm sure they like this hardcore fan base much better.
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    Get_Right wrote:
    the merger of TM and LN ended any chance of the consumer being treated fairly-I am just surprised that more acts did not speak out when the merger was proposed to the Government.

it was very disappointing that not many acts spoke out against the merger...Bruce Springsteen seemed to be the largest act to speak out against it and that may have been fueled by the fiasco with his tickets....then there are other large acts that I assume can't speak out because of their deals with Live Nation, U2, Jay-Z, Madonna
    joe2468 wrote:
    what you should do is contact your local politicians and explain the issue... ...MAKE SOME NOISE

Or you could simply group together with other fans of a particular band, and let the band know that you won't be buying tickets over X dollars. I believe the bands have ultimate control over what the ticket prices are, since it spawns from what the band wants to get paid.
    CJMST3K wrote:
    joe2468 wrote:
    what you should do is contact your local politicians and explain the issue... ...MAKE SOME NOISE

Or you could simply group together with other fans of a particular band, and let the band know that you won't be buying tickets over X dollars. I believe the bands have ultimate control over what the ticket prices are, since it spawns from what the band wants to get paid.

i'm so worked up about this now...that i might try and do something with a politian. although i'm so against all politicians (but thats another subject). i'm sure this isn't the fist case senerio, but if this does keep happening...i'm sure people will put a stop to it.
    i also know paying $550.00 for one ticket is a joke and i'd never do it. but when your 65yrs money doesn't seem to be such a big deal anymore. my dad is crazy anyways...because he's wanting to buy the 4th row tickets at 376.00 and just take a loss for the overpriced ticketmaster ones. he really doesn't care...he just wants to see this band up close.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    the jam wrote:
    but when your 65yrs money doesn't seem to be such a big deal anymore. my dad is crazy anyways...because he's wanting to buy the 4th row tickets at 376.00 and just take a loss for the overpriced ticketmaster ones. he really doesn't care...he just wants to see this band up close.
    hey if its on the bucket list than I cant argue
    and you could always auction off the others to recoup some of the cost
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    the jam wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    joe2468 wrote:

i'm so worked up about this now...that i might try and do something with a politian. although i'm so against all politicians (but thats another subject). i'm sure this isn't the fist case senerio, but if this does keep happening...i'm sure people will put a stop to it.
    i also know paying $550.00 for one ticket is a joke and i'd never do it. but when your 65yrs money doesn't seem to be such a big deal anymore. my dad is crazy anyways...because he's wanting to buy the 4th row tickets at 376.00 and just take a loss for the overpriced ticketmaster ones. he really doesn't care...he just wants to see this band up close.

you should buy them for him. :lol::lol: ..then put the others up on ebay or stubhub for face value YOU WILL GET IT.....b
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
    the jam wrote:
    i also know paying $550.00 for one ticket is a joke and i'd never do it. but when your 65yrs money doesn't seem to be such a big deal anymore. my dad is crazy anyways...because he's wanting to buy the 4th row tickets at 376.00 and just take a loss for the overpriced ticketmaster ones. he really doesn't care...he just wants to see this band up close/quote]

A politician can't and shouldn't do anything about someone charging $500 for a concert ticket, nor $5000 for a concert ticket. But if a monopoly abuses their position to price fix, that may be a different angle to approach.
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    we all piss and moan about how expensive tickets are but we all buy them anyways. so 1.) we either stop going to concerts and save our money 2.) search a lot harder for cheaper tickets rather than paying $500+ for them, or 3.) suck it up and admit defeat....
    or we could all start a revolution and spread communism throughout north america jk pinkos suck : )
    we all piss and moan about how expensive tickets are but we all buy them anyways. so 1.) we either stop going to concerts and save our money 2.) search a lot harder for cheaper tickets rather than paying $500+ for them, or 3.) suck it up and admit defeat....
    or we could all start a revolution and spread communism throughout north america jk pinkos suck : )

listen...i'm not complaining about the $550.00e for the ticket. thats my Dad's call. i'm complaining that it cost that much threw the original ticketmaster and now some how the price is cheaper. they used us and others as a pricing gauge and thats wrong. now if they would have stated that this is some kind of price gauge and prices may be cheaper when they go on sale to the puplic, then thats one thing. this is about a huge company being unethical.
  • you may want to review your order with TM. The most expensive face value seat is 249.00 on tm's website unless you bought the hot seat package at $375.00 each. log into your ticketmaster account and click on order details and let us know what it says. Something might be wrong. It should look something ike this:

Sting with the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra
    Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, CO
    Wed, Jun 9, 2010 08:00 PM Section
    Row
    Seats RES 2
    7 - 6 Type3AMXGTicket PriceUS $90.50 x 2 Price Details Convenience ChargeUS $16.80 x 2
    SUBTOTALUS $214.60

Tickets/ItemsUS $214.60TicketFast Delivery No Charge
    TOTAL CHARGESUS $214.60
    Gorge