Ticketmaster and LiveNation need to end scalping now! Help!

SwordoSwordo Posts: 266
edited March 2010 in The Porch
..trying to spread the word!! Not my idea or anything, but I think it's important to spread!

It’s 2010 – the internet is absolutely riddled with social sites like Facebook and You Tube, etc.

Let’s use this to our advantage to try and pressure Ticketmaster and Live Nation into taking steps to thwart scalping that are realistic. I’m starting a Facebook page that could grow into something tremendous if everyone believes in the cause and the outcome. This thing could start with only 20 or 30 people in the first week….but if it were to grow it could easily end up on local news, then on nationwide networks.

The recent arrests of “Wiseguys Tickets” (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...llegally_.html) clearly shows how much we’ve been screwed over the last several years out of decent seats…but it doesn’t end there. Trent Reznor’s reveal (http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?59,548515) of internal practises in Ticketmaster and Live Nation (and indeed in some cases the artist – Bon Jovi, Neil Diamond, etc. - http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...condary-market) show that the main sites themselves don’t seem to care, they feed tickets to resellers and even OWN the sites sometimes. The customer doesn’t even stand a chance at getting good tickets at face value.

Recent Ticketmaster and Live Nation on sales for Dave Matthews Band shows resulted in only lawns bring available for sale right as tickets went on sale, so you’d think these impossible to get tickets in GA PIT sections had all gone to presales or fanclub members…then you see 40~80 of the HARDEST to get tickets on StubHub (owned by eBay) at 15 seconds past the hour of on sale at prices that are sometimes well over 10 times the face value. TM and LN are clearly involved in this practise. Scalping could be completely subverted for any and all events by requiring one main member’s name to be on the tickets for pick-up, always requiring will call, limiting ALL events to a reasonable number of tickets and requiring you to enter the event upon picking up your ticket. This practise worked for Nine Inch Nails last year. They fought to get 10% of all tickets for their fanclub and they were all Section 100’s or Section A or 1 depending on the venue, PIT, etc., simply the best tickets. It makes sure that your tickets are your tickets and if scalpers suddenly buy 100 tickets they’ll have no way to implement them as they can’t pick up 100 tickets with ID. There are plenty of alternate solutions which can be discussed no doubt…but something has got to give. The tickets sales in NA have become absolutely ridiculous. It has been estimated in some cases that StubHub has over half of the floor tickets to big draws. Miley Cyrus made a bunch of her tour dates last Summer “ticketless” and this kept scalpers at bay. It works and sure it’s a bit more of a pain in the ass, but wouldn’t you rather pay $80 for a seat in the first ten rows than $1,800? A ticketless system would also allow you to update your pick-up name up to a few hours before event time in order to allow for unforeseen circumstances like illness, transportation woes, etc.

While we’re at it, the ridiculous “all sales are final” should be changed too. You can’t make something? You’re not stuck having to scalp your own tickets. They should go back into the legal pool of tickets, not show up on StubHub.

It’s time for the voice of the little guy to be heard. Join this Facebook page, put it in your status and let as many people as you have friends know about it so they can join.

If you post on other artist’s websites like Pearl Jam, start this exact same thread there. If everyone works together this thing could be huge and if it means that you stand just as much chance as I do to score front section seats for next year’s big ticket items then isn’t it worth it? Isn’t it worth trying it out to see where we get?

If you have an idea of a better site that’s more popular and would see more people please suggest it, but I think right now Facebook is probably the most powerful tool we have and when big numbers join IT WILL GET NOTICED!

Join up – http://www.facebook.com/pages/Your-T...W/371227934702
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    then you see 40~80 of the HARDEST to get tickets on StubHub (owned by eBay) at 15 seconds past the hour of on sale at prices that are sometimes well over 10 times the face value.

THATS SO F'N TRUE, how the hell does that happen? it's not like people are buying them and then going to stubhub website and logging in to resell them that quickly, SCAM!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • Tell me about it. happened to me for the eddie vedder solo sale. They were on stub hub the night before
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    js280023 wrote:
    Tell me about it. happened to me for the eddie vedder solo sale. They were on stub hub the night before

i end up buying mine on Stub Hub!!!, shitload of money, worth it but still it's the principle.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    This is why I like the 10C. If I had to deal with Ticketmaster and re-sellers for all my PJ shows I wouldn't have gone to near as many.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Its pretty hard when there are computer software programs that make the scalping machine thrive.

Did you all hear about that Ticket broker website Wiseguy Tickets ?

They had the software program that lets you skip the security steps,. and gets you right into the prime seats!
    They made millions on the average fan, likely some of our hard earned cash went into that too .

Best Of Luck shutting down the TM / LN ticketscalping enterprise.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,258
    I hear you and wish you the best in your fight, i don't attend anyother shows but PJ shows i gave up all other acts a long time ago and as long as PJ insist on us the members of 10C getting the best seats i'm very happy and believe me we do get the best seats :) . And as long as you have acts like the U2's and BON SHIT HEADS of the world not giving a fuck about regular joe nothing will come of this ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Lets go back to the day of Camping out at a ticket window.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,258
    Lets go back to the day of Camping out at a ticket window.

The scalpers/ticket brokers will still get better seats than you they have the inside track on you :?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,243
    KO282453 wrote:
    js280023 wrote:
    Tell me about it. happened to me for the eddie vedder solo sale. They were on stub hub the night before

i end up buying mine on Stub Hub!!!, shitload of money, worth it but still it's the principle.

Then you have no right to complain. You are part of the problem by reinforcing their behavior. Sorry but its true.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,765
    Stadiums need to start playing an active role as well. In Houston, where I am currently living, we have a brand new 18,000+ capacity venue that is barely used for concerts... And why? Because the stadium does not sell any tickets through live nation or ticketmaster. The are completely independent. They also sell the majority of the best tickets in the house ad what they call "flash seats". These tickets can only be picked up at the venue, on the way into the concert (i.e. As you are walking through the door), with the credit card that purchased the tickets. And you might think that this would slow down the admission process, but no... When I saw acdc there in November I got in faster than people who had actual hard tickets.

Te down side of all this is that the toyota center gets very few shows considering it is in the 4th largest city in the US. On a yearly basis it gets less shows than the woodlands, which is an outdoor ampitheater to the north of Houston that is only open for 6 months of the year.... I guess that is the price of playing hardball with TM/LN... But that is life.

More venues need to take an active role like this...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    Best seats ever from scalpers. pfffft. business i say....