No Code perfect for a Monday...

baldoallornonebaldoallornone Posts: 211
edited March 2010 in The Porch
What up PJ community? I read this board everyday but don't post often, probably should more but sometimes it's really fun to sit back and read everyones posts.

Anyway it is a cloudy day first day of the work week and came to the conclusion No Code was the best choice to start the day off with. Everytime I hear this album it brings me back to when I first got it when I was 14 and how me and my buddy stayed up listening to it over and over until the early hours of the morning. Funny, I'll be 29 next month and I find myself reminiscing and realizing that so many of my memories of growing up revolve around Pearl Jam...like in 7th grade when we were allowed to listen to walkmens and I was jamming to to Ten on cassette and someone told the teacher on me because I was listening to music with cursing in it. By the way catholic grade school was awesome...never sending my kids through that stupid shit.

Anyway sorry to ramble, by the way to continue with apporapriate dreery Monday morning stuff to jam after No Code:

Sparta-Porcelain
Band of Horses-Everything All The Time
Pete Yorn-MusicfortheMoringAfter
Steppenwolf-All Time Greatest Hits (The Pusher, Don't Step on the Grass Sam, Foggy Mental Breakdown...love it)

We'll see if I get through all those before I leave, people should put their Monday morning choices as well. I believe someone had a similar post last week but it's kind of fun to hear what others tastes are.
1998 - St. Louis
2000 - St. Louis
2003 - West Palm Beach, St. Louis, Champaign, Bonner Springs, and East Troy
2004 - St. Louis, Asheville, and Kissimmee
2005 - Kitchener and London, Ontario
2006 - Chicago Night 1, Cincinnati, and St. Paul Night 1
2007 - Lollapalooza
2010 - St. Louis and Noblesville
2011 - East Troy PJ20 Night 1 and Night 2
2013 - Wrigley and Oklahoma City
2014 - St. Louis and Memphis
2016 - Lexington
2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    What up PJ community? I read this board everyday but don't post often, probably should more but sometimes it's really fun to sit back and read everyones posts.

Anyway it is a cloudy day first day of the work week and came to the conclusion No Code was the best choice to start the day off with. Everytime I hear this album it brings me back to when I first got it when I was 14 and how me and my buddy stayed up listening to it over and over until the early hours of the morning. Funny, I'll be 29 next month and I find myself reminiscing and realizing that so many of my memories of growing up revolve around Pearl Jam...like in 7th grade when we were allowed to listen to walkmens and I was jamming to to Ten on cassette and someone told the teacher on me because I was listening to music with cursing in it. By the way catholic grade school was awesome...never sending my kids through that stupid shit.

Anyway sorry to ramble, by the way to continue with apporapriate dreery Monday morning stuff to jam after No Code:

Sparta-Porcelain
    Band of Horses-Everything All The Time
    Pete Yorn-MusicfortheMoringAfter
    Steppenwolf-All Time Greatest Hits (The Pusher, Don't Step on the Grass Sam, Foggy Mental Breakdown...love it)

We'll see if I get through all those before I leave, people should put their Monday morning choices as well. I believe someone had a similar post last week but it's kind of fun to hear what others tastes are.

I'm glad you're enjoying your day !! It's finally sunny and about 45 degrees outside- I'm planning on going for a long walk and listening to PJ on my mp3 - what a great day :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Great post. Try the Allman Brothers Band: At Fillmore East. There's even a song called "Stormy Monday".
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Hi dude! :mrgreen:

I just had to say that No Code is a great choice on any day!!!! for it is truly a masterpiece!!! 8-)

I am listening to a lot of the new AIC album too...it is really good!!....i'm going to see them this weekend too!! WOO-HOO!!!!!!!! :D
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Posts: 546
    I planned on listening to some 96 tour boots tonight so I suppose that counts!

I figure I'll start at Hartford, then move onto Toronto, then Hamburg and finish off in Berlin when I'm nicely toasted.

Can't wait! :mrgreen:
    "I get into a state of consciousness that I can't explain. It is about feeling and not thinking. I get positive chills and insight into things that I can't get to any other way. It is Healing of the Soul." - Mike McCready
  • Great post. Try the Allman Brothers Band: At Fillmore East. There's even a song called "Stormy Monday".

I will totally check that out!!!
    Hi dude! :mrgreen:

I just had to say that No Code is a great choice on any day!!!! for it is truly a masterpiece!!! 8-)

I am listening to a lot of the new AIC album too...it is really good!!....i'm going to see them this weekend too!! WOO-HOO!!!!!!!! :D

I agree that No Code is a masterpiece. My wife was big on the Jam and dropped off after Vitalogy but oddly enough she picked up the Given To Fly single when it came out in '98. Since she has been with me I've drug her to 5 shows and she totally is a big fan and sometimes says she isn't in to No Code. Then I reminder her...ahh you like Present Tense, Who You Are, Red M., Smile, and In My Tree...all No Code.

Actually I was complaining about no seeing PJ live since Lolla in '07 and my wife was like "I could totally go for a Pearl Jam show". I was so turned on because earlier in the week she was craving beer and German food which I both love almost as much as PJ! :D

Happy wishes for everyones week to come...fuck corporate American. :P
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2016 - Lexington
    2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

• I'm listening to Ten Redux, and absolutely loving it. Still don't know why the put those awful ELG and 2000 Mile Blues songs, but the rest are unbelievable.

But I think NC will be next. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • I'm listening to Ten Redux, and absolutely loving it. Still don't know why the put those awful ELG and 2000 Mile Blues songs, but the rest are unbelievable.

But I think NC will be next. Thanks for the inspiration!

Rock on man, by the way I think Ten Redux really captures what they sound like live. Brendan was right to tone down the comprehsion and reverb.

Cheers!
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2016 - Lexington
    2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

• bry321f11bry321f11 Posts: 326
    The weather here is Chicopee, MA is actually bright and sunny. In about an hour I was about to throw on a bootleg to get me through the afternoon, but I'll take a listen to No Code instead. Great suggestion!
  • solat1973solat1973 Posts: 131
    This is a great Monday for me not only off from work, but going to see Alice in Chains tonight in NYC.. pLus its 50 degrees and clear. great for drinking..
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Speaking of No Code, how awesome is Smile? Spectacular song.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Speaking of No Code, how awesome is Smile? Spectacular song.

Love it...Great Song
  • I'm feelin' some HAIL HAIL right now 8-)
  • Mitch8415Mitch8415 Posts: 227
    Was talking PJ with a guy at a bar on Sat night.... He told me he was so put off by No Code when it first came out that he hadn't even listened to it since around '98.

After 15 minutes of heated conversation, I convinced him to give it another listen. I had to explain that it was an album that might take a little longer before you really "get it"...
    ~ Chicago 5/16/06 ~ Chicago 8/23/09 ~ Chicago 8/24/09 ~
    ~ Kansas City 5/3/10 ~ Alpine Valley 9/3/11 ~ Alpine Valley 9/4/11 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 7/19/13 ~ Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ~ St. Louis 10/3/14 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ~ Wrigley Field 8/18/18 ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/18 ~
    ~ Fenway Park 9/4/18 ~ Denver 9/22/22
  • Mitch8415 wrote:
    Was talking PJ with a guy at a bar on Sat night.... He told me he was so put off by No Code when it first came out that he hadn't even listened to it since around '98.

After 15 minutes of heated conversation, I convinced him to give it another listen. I had to explain that it was an album that might take a little longer before you really "get it"...
    So true.

I can't believe how much No Code has grown on me since my first listen some years ago.
    Mitch8415 wrote:

You got to give us an update if you ever talk to the guy again. Hopefully he will give it a shot. Wonder what it was about the album.
  • solat1973 wrote:
    This is a great Monday for me not only off from work, but going to see Alice in Chains tonight in NYC.. pLus its 50 degrees and clear. great for drinking..

Your post made me think? How is that whole deal working out crowd/fan response wise with the new singer. I was real indifferent when a local radio station here played the new AIC album all the way through.

Kind of bummed me out, it made me think...God forbid if Ed was no longer around I'm not sure I'd support the band if they went on without him...especially if they picked a singer that sounded exactly like him.

I don't blame you for going though, I almost did when they came through STL for old time sake.
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2016 - Lexington