PRS Guitars - What do you think?

GuitarEnthusiastGuitarEnthusiast Posts: 627
edited March 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
What do you guys think of PRS Guitars? Do any of you own one? If so which model and what's the tone like? Just curious. I hadn't really thought I'd want to purchase one, but was recently turned on to them.
1991-11-30 St. Paul, MN 1992-08-28 St. Paul, MN 1998-06-30 Minneapolis, MN 2000-10-08 East Troy, WI 2003-06-16 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-26 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-27 St. Paul, MN 2006-07-07 San Diego, CA 2007-08-05 Chicago, IL 2008-06-24 New York, NY 2009-08-23 Chicago, IL 2009-08-24 Chicago, IL 2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis, MN 2011-09-03 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2011-09-04 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2013-07-19 Wrigley Chicago, IL 2014-10-19 St. Paul, MN
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm not a fan... just not my style....they are to guitars what Corvettes are to cars... :?
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • LeifurLeifur Posts: 1
    excellent build quality and production consistency, but a bit heavy on the wallet. I've played many of their guitars, both in shops and at NAMM shows, and some of my friends own PRS guitars. I can recommend their SE line, very well made, fair priced, fast players. The brand has a bit of new metal/ high school rock vibe to it, that I don't like, but you can't argue that they know how to build guitars.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Overrated. Not my style, either. Wanted one because Incubus' guitar player uses one. My ex's dad had one. Heavy but nothing else to write about. They LOOK nice but they sound and play the same was a les paul does...and for more money
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • They're great quality but they're kind of a one trick pony. I don't know how versatile I'd say they are. Usually bands that want a heavy sound use them. Bands like Nickelback use them (I'm not using that to knock them, just that kind of drop d/power chord sound is most often used on them). If you want anything other than that kind of sound, or to have a more versatile guitar for things like classic rock, blues, alot of mainstream rock etc. then you're better off with something like a strat or les paul etc.
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    Does Santana use them? I quite like his tone. PRS into Boogie maybe?
    Other than that not much of a fan for the price they are.
  • savman wrote:
    Does Santana use them? I quite like his tone. PRS into Boogie maybe?
    Other than that not much of a fan for the price they are.
    that is exactly what he uses. his signature prs into an early 70s boogie.

as far as prs' go, my other guitarist in my band has one of the early ones, i think from 1990 maybe. its a pretty nice sounding guitar and its pretty verasatile. it has a 5 position switch and a push pull pot to get some single coil tones. its a rotary style knob switch which i don't like because i have a single channel amp and its easier for me to go clean to dirty with a gibson style switch. overall they are well build but give me a vintage les paul over a new prs any day. hell the vintage lp is cheeper than many of the brand new prs guitars...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • PJayhawkPJayhawk Posts: 75
    I personally love PRS guitars and use one as my main gigging guitar (2001 PRS Standard 22). I find it to be versatile enough for my purposes. Don't get me wrong I love vintage guitars (and have a few) but PRS's are one of the few current production brands that when I pick them I can hear a distinct sound and quality. I don't use them for super distorted tones, just good old hard rock :)

Sonically they fall somewhere between a Les Paul and a Strat, which I like. Plus my Standard 22 is nice and light so I can jump around like crazy on stage :)
    www.nos-tone.com

7/3/98 - Kansas City, 8/18/00 - Indianapolis, 10/12/00 - Kansas City
    4/22/03 - St. Louis, 6/22/03 - Indianapolis, 5/3/10 - KC, 5/4/10 - St. Louis, 5/7/10 - Indy
  • allmyrivalsallmyrivals Posts: 228
    I have had one for about 6 years now as my main guitar. And i love it! I play the heavy stuff and it never fails to deliver amazing tone at any end of the neck. I will always have a PRS on hand. Killer.

AMR
    EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0031
    WHAAHYEAH!!